Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2020, 10:34 AM   #1

Arctic Fox 27-5

Hello all, when I disconnected the shore power yesterday I realized that none of my DC fixtures worked (no lights, fan, slide etc.). It all worked again when I connected to the shore power again. My batteries are fully charged. I read somewhere that some RV's have a manual breaker for the DC power that can be reset. Anyone knows if this unit has one and where it is located? Thanks, jm
John Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #2

Haven’t run into that but will be interested to see what you find out.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #3

Sounds like your battery disconnect got turned off. Look for something like either of these pictured below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	286771

In my previously owned Cardinal, it was in the underbelly storage, but it could also be close to your batteries.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:16 AM   #4

Hi, no it's not the main circuit breaker. That one stayed on "on".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar2856 View Post
Sounds like your battery disconnect got turned off. Look for something like either of these pictured below.

Attachment 286771

In my previously owned Cardinal, it was in the underbelly storage, but it could also be close to your batteries.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Michael View Post
If it wasn't the main "switch" (in my '19 it's in the outside compartment where the water connection resides), I would unplug from shore and check all the fuses in the panel. You didn't mention what year you have, but in mine, it is close to the floor in the kitchen. Fuse panel cover should have a list of the fuses and what circuit they serve.

If all the fuses are good, you might have a bad connection at the battery. Pull the cables, clean and replace. While you are there, check the voltage at the batteries.

Back to morning brew . . .
CalCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Hello all, when I disconnected the shore power yesterday I realized that none of my DC fixtures worked (no lights, fan, slide etc.). It all worked again when I connected to the shore power again. My batteries are fully charged. I read somewhere that some RV's have a manual breaker for the DC power that can be reset. Anyone knows if this unit has one and where it is located? Thanks, jm
That will happen in my 27.5L if and when the battery disconnect is engaged. Check in the port compartment just fore of the livingroom slide.
Home in western Washington State from where wife and I travel all seasons in our 2018 Arctic Fox 29.5K fifth wheel, outfitted with solar and a few Li batteries, and usually weighing in at around 14K. Pulled by 2019 F450 stock King Ranch 6.7L diesel.
grantrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantrekker View Post
That will happen in my 27.5L if and when the battery disconnect is engaged. Check in the port compartment just fore of the livingroom slide.
This
Also refereed to as the wet bay as this is where you connect to shore water, the outside shower and sani-t flush is

Quote:
Are you talking about this switch or are you talking about the 120 v main breaker ?
Old 05-25-2020, 10:54 PM   #8

Name:	1-wet2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	287018

Pic didn't come out all that well but you can see the red switch and it is in the on position.

I think on the 2018 and newer has the cable connection in this bay as well.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:41 PM   #9

If you have checked the DC disconnect switch have a look at these points in the battery bay.

Name:	1-battery.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	287081

From ground to the 4 right connections you should have battery voltage ( disconnect from shore to ensure a good read )

Those things are basically these
https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-CBC-...dp/B001PYN8GS/
I do know know what the value NW installs or if the amazon listing is a good replacement.

If you have good voltage on all 4 points I would check the voltage at the back of the DC disconnect switch checking both connection points has good voltage ( testing both will help verify the switch is good )
You would need to access the switch from the wet bay to check it.

I assume your landing gear is working as it does not go through the DC disconnect switch.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:31 AM   #10

Thank you all for the input. The RV is in storage but I will have it checked next week. I asked Northwood and they told me to check the converter. This converter has two breakers and is based underneath the drawer next to the pantry. I 'll keep you informed of progress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artman1913 View Post
If you have checked the DC disconnect switch have a look at these points in the battery bay.

Attachment 287081

From ground to the 4 right connections you should have battery voltage ( disconnect from shore to ensure a good read )

Those things are basically these
https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-CBC-...dp/B001PYN8GS/
I do know know what the value NW installs or if the amazon listing is a good replacement.

If you have good voltage on all 4 points I would check the voltage at the back of the DC disconnect switch checking both connection points has good voltage ( testing both will help verify the switch is good )
You would need to access the switch from the wet bay to check it.

I assume your landing gear is working as it does not go through the DC disconnect switch.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:48 PM   #11

Hello all,
So I had my electrical system checked this morning. Batteries are fine, disconnect switch is fine. The intelli power module located underneath the drawers adjacent to the pantry works fine. At the end when we took the power center out (fuse panels) one big red wire was connected ( from the power module) and one was loose on the floor ( from the batteries). Reconnected and all worked fine again.
So the powermodule is plugged into an AC outlet and it sends 12v to the fuse panel and also charges the batteries. This is why I had DC available when connected to the shore power.
Safe travels!
JM
Quote:
Thank you all for the input. The RV is in storage but I will have it checked next week. I asked Northwood and they told me to check the converter. This converter has two breakers and is based underneath the drawer next to the pantry. I 'll keep you informed of progress.