RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:41 AM   #1

Artic Fox 27-5; Dexter Brakes

We just took possession of a 2018 27-5 Artic Fox. Love the trailer. However, I'm wondering about the brakes. From other trailer towing experience I'm used to being able to lock up the brakes on gravel. I can't with the AF.

When I got it home I flushed the grease in the hubs and adjusted the brakes. Which are the Dexter Never Adjust Brakes.....I think that I've adjusted them properly so there is a light rub when the tire spins and I can manually engage the brakes via 2015 Chevy 2500HD brake controller and they all engage but don't lock up the wheels or significantly stop the truck when I test them.

I'm wondering if I need to look at replacing the brake pads or if the trailer is that much heavier than my first 5th wheel. I understand that not all brakes will lock up pending the trailer weight and this is the heaviest trailer that I've owned/towed.

They don't make any noise and i don't think that the adjusting screw is meaningfully extended...but I'll admit I don't know enough about these brakes to know what that would be...but there is maybe 3/16" of threads out of the start adjuster.

Pending feedback, I may have to pull a hub or all four to inspect the pads. Just trying to avoid pulling the hubs....

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences. Be safe out there!
KC
CashRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2020, 05:03 PM   #2

Have you towed an RV trailer before with your truck using the trucks brake controller?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:00 PM   #3

Most likely you have grease on the brakes.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:39 PM   #4

I couldn't lock our 27-5 on pavement but could drag them on gravel. When you apply your brakes, you should feel a significant drag on the truck. I could be you aren't getting enough voltage to the brakes. On gravel, pull your breakaway cord and see if that doesn't lock up the tires when you try to drive away. I have disc brakes now and they will lock up on pavement but that leads to a mess inside the trailer. But it's nice to know I can do if I need to. Way easier to clean a mess than to do body work or worse. Yes, the AF is probably heavier than your previous one.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:37 PM   #5

Thanks for the thoughts.

I appreciate the question and comments. I definitely won't claim to be an expert with brakes hence the question here, but I have towed a number of different trailers with electric brakes and have three....actually four dual axle trailers at the moment since we're still trying to sell the previous 5r (Cougar X-Light 27RKS). I have a gravel driveway and (almost) always check the brakes with the electric controller when I'm pulling out because they all require
a different setting.

It looks like I'm going to pull at least a couple and see what the pads look like.

Thanks again.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:40 PM   #6

Over the years with RVs drum brakes you need to jack each wheel up, manually adjust until the wheel is locked. Back off 3-4 clicks. Anything more and the electeomagnets wont move enough to lock the brakes. BTW Foxes are really heavy so expect way different braking action. If you really want good brakes, spend around 1800 DIY dollars for disc brake conversion.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:29 PM   #7

2018 27-5 Artic Fox has a GVWR of 13,400#
Very close to my 5vrs weight

I can't lock up the trailer brakes either BUT they do STOP the trailer
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #8

Artman is the winner. Looks like grease leaked out on the inside of the hub and there is grease on everything that matters. I've decided that it's time to just take it in and have all four replaced by professionals.

I will look at the disc brake conversion. That sounds like a better long term solution.

Thanks again for your thoughts on this.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:54 PM   #9

If your axle has a zerk on the end don’t use it. Lots of owners pump too much grease and it goes all over everything. They are ok for boat trailers without brakes because they are designed for that purpose.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #10

grease on brake pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashRanger View Post
We just took possession of a 2018 27-5 Artic Fox. Love the trailer. However, I'm wondering about the brakes. From other trailer towing experience I'm used to being able to lock up the brakes on gravel. I can't with the AF.

When I got it home I flushed the grease in the hubs and adjusted the brakes. Which are the Dexter Never Adjust Brakes.....I think that I've adjusted them properly so there is a light rub when the tire spins and I can manually engage the brakes via 2015 Chevy 2500HD brake controller and they all engage but don't lock up the wheels or significantly stop the truck when I test them.

I'm wondering if I need to look at replacing the brake pads or if the trailer is that much heavier than my first 5th wheel. I understand that not all brakes will lock up pending the trailer weight and this is the heaviest trailer that I've owned/towed.

They don't make any noise and i don't think that the adjusting screw is meaningfully extended...but I'll admit I don't know enough about these brakes to know what that would be...but there is maybe 3/16" of threads out of the start adjuster.

Pending feedback, I may have to pull a hub or all four to inspect the pads. Just trying to avoid pulling the hubs....

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences. Be safe out there!
KC
We bought a new 27-5sl in the summer of 2018. This winter I had a guy servicing my wheel bearrings. Two wheels had grease on the pads, as I never did the wheel bearring service before I assume that the RV came with too much grease on the bearrings from the factory. I had to replace the 4 brake pads...I'm not convinced about the EZ lube bearrings and would prefer a never lube system if such would exist
John Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:38 PM   #11

John, they do exist........Most folks just get carried away with the grease gun.......been using mine since 2011......even with having discs now......
Old 10-11-2020, 07:11 AM   #12

My guess is you have grease in your shoes from the EZ-Lube. I replace all my brakes for that reason and I found that I needed to go about 15-20 miles on paved road exercising/applying the brakes regularly with the brake control only to get them seated and used to working.

There are varying experiences persons have with the EZ-Lube type set ups for greasing the bearings. I felt most persons weren't using it correctly and I chose to grease my bearings with the zerk and did end up with grease in the brakes.

After thinking this thru and discussing with others, I tend to think no matter how careful you are about greasing, spinning the wheel, and making sure you have grease coming out the front(accounting for the grease)....we wind up with a hub that is full of grease from front to back. Then...on extended trips the hub heats up, builds pressure and forces the grease into the brake drum. And, I could be wrong about this. But I will be greasing my bearings by hand now.
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes