Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2021, 04:06 PM   #1

Backup camera

Has anyone added a backup camera to an AF 27-5L? Slowly doing some upgrades to our 2016 (can’t rush into these things). Adding a hitch as we speak for bike rack or whatever (winter is a good time to do these things as we don’t get out much this time of hear). Wired? Wireless? My backup skills are nominal (a lot of GOAL - get out and look). Thinking a camera would be a good idea. Don’t believe the 2016 came pre-wired. Thoughts or opinions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2021, 06:11 PM   #2

rear view camera

I bought and installed a Furrion wireless 7" screen. The picture was too dark to be of much use and I could not find anyway to make the screen brighter. I replaced that with a Haloview 10 RDS (I think that is the model) and it seems to be much better and should be really useful. Thanks to Covid I haven't been able to use it very much. As to the install, I purchased their magnetic mount and adapted the camera bracket to fit thus avoiding drilling any holes in the back wall.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:18 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povo View Post
Has anyone added a backup camera to an AF 27-5L? Slowly doing some upgrades to our 2016 (can’t rush into these things). Adding a hitch as we speak for bike rack or whatever (winter is a good time to do these things as we don’t get out much this time of hear). Wired? Wireless? My backup skills are nominal (a lot of GOAL - get out and look). Thinking a camera would be a good idea. Don’t believe the 2016 came pre-wired. Thoughts or opinions?
I like the Haloview rear camera along with side marker cameras
Old 02-10-2021, 11:07 AM   #4

I have a 7 inch monitor with 4 inputs in my truck mounted near the ash tray in the center of my truck. The 7 inch monitor can show a single camera, 2, 3 or 4 cameras at once.

I have a front license plate camera that is the only view when not towing and I use it to see the street below the hood. I have 3 wireless transmitters in the front pass-through storage of my Arctic Fox 22G and 3 receivers at the back of my Leer cap above the fold up window. The trailer cameras are located in front of the pass through storage doors on each side of the trailer and the last at the rear trailer license plate.

This allows me to see both sides of the trailer when backing up regardless of the turn angle. The rear camera is used for backing up and the primary camera on my display when going down the highway so I can see cars directly behind my trailer.

The transmitters and receivers are pretty close together (less than about 5 feet) and this gives me reliable performance without having to connect and disconnect cables between the trailer and truck.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:04 PM   #5

I tapped the power from the center clearance light to power the camera. You need to run with the parking lights on, but that's no problem. I purchased a wireless system from Amazon and it worked fine. I tow a Jeep behind the 27-5 and I watched it closely for the first few hundred miles. Then I used it less and less and now the monitor lives in the center consul. I find it just about useless for backing up, but then I can't use the back up camera that comes with the truck either. I do way better just watching the mirrors. My 2 cents worth.
MtCamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:50 PM   #6

I pulled my clearance light out looking for the factory power but it was not there. (It goes down the wall to the unknown.) There is plenty of room between the inner and outer wall to run a wire for power down to your tail light wire if you find that easier.
When I do replace the broken factory backup camera I will also add one to the inside of the Fox. There have been times I would have pulled over had I seen what was going on back there.
I have a factory hitch in the rear and also added one on the front, on the pin box for two bikes. Works very well if you have a long bed.
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:12 PM   #7

Has a Rear View Safety on Class a. Just put TADI brothers on AF 25Y. First was wired. TADI is wireless. Tadi works great, easy install with wore out of center top marker light (turn lights on for power). Wireless needed antenna extension to get to cab, likes line of sight.
saundnh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera