Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #1

Black water gauge

This seems to be a common thing, but I’ll ask anyway. I don’t think we’ve ever got an accurate reading on that black water tank gage in our 27-5L. The other tanks will show one light when empty, but the black water pretty much always has at least 3 of the 4 lights lit (or 4 of 5 - I can’t remember). We use Happy Camper an use the exterior flushing feature thingy whenever we can. This year, by the suggestion of a friend of my wife’s, we put about a half cup of bleach and a gallon or two of water after emptying the tank. Now it shows full (all lights lit). 1) Did we mess something up? 2) If not, is there something we can do to get an accurate reading? Generally it’s not a big deal. Not too difficult to estimate and we’re usually in full hookup sites. But it would be nice to have this functioning correctly.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2019, 09:51 PM   #2

Waste tank sensors/monitoring systems were designed by an evil engineer to cause irritation to RVs and mess up a good camping trip

They work on conductivity between 'level' sensor and the 'ground' sensor
ANYTHING stuck on side wall can created a current path.

One can spend way too much time/effort trying to keep the sensors clean enough to give semi-accurate readings ----until next time!

I haven't push the button on monitor to check levels since 2008

When toilet 'burps'---time to dump black tank
When sink(s) / shower starts to drain slower then usual......time to dump the grey tank
When water pump goes 'burrrruup'---should have already refilled the fresh water tank

Black piece of tape over the indicator lights helps too.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Povo View Post
This seems to be a common thing, but I’ll ask anyway. I don’t think we’ve ever got an accurate reading on that black water tank gage in our 27-5L. The other tanks will show one light when empty, but the black water pretty much always has at least 3 of the 4 lights lit (or 4 of 5 - I can’t remember). We use Happy Camper an use the exterior flushing feature thingy whenever we can. This year, by the suggestion of a friend of my wife’s, we put about a half cup of bleach and a gallon or two of water after emptying the tank. Now it shows full (all lights lit). 1) Did we mess something up? 2) If not, is there something we can do to get an accurate reading? Generally it’s not a big deal. Not too difficult to estimate and we’re usually in full hookup sites. But it would be nice to have this functioning correctly.

I maintain our holding tanks assiduously, and they still have never worked accurately.

I am waiting for this to be released:

Has your black tank level read “Full” for years, even when the tank is empty?
The most common issue with factory-installed tank level monitors is that they constantly display “2/3” or “F”, even after the tank has been emptied. Tank Whisper™ is designed to address this issue – our patent-pending technology determines the correct tank water level from functional factory-installed KIB hardware.

How does Tank Whisper® work?
Our patent pending Tank Whisper® technology can be thought of as an “active sonar system.” Whereas sonar uses sound waves to send information through water and listens for an echo response, Tank Whisper® emits low voltage electrical signals over wires and listens for the electrical response from the tank probe.
By whispering small electronic signals to the tank probe system and carefully analyzing the response, Tank Whisper™ is able to determine the correct level of liquids in the tank. This even works for black tanks that have displayed nothing but “FULL” for years.

Our patent pending Tank Whisper™ technology integrates with the simple, low-cost tank monitoring probe systems that have been installed in most RVs over the past 30 years. Tank Whisper® enables RV owners to finally get correct tank level measurements. Our technology integrates a signal generator and custom signal analysis software with a built-in computer. Tank Whisper® plugs into the existing wiring to send more sophisticated signals to the existing tank probes.

www.rvwhisper.com/tank-whisper/

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:38 AM   #4

Almost ever black tank Ive ever seen reads two turds, (2/3rds) full at all time. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. You can use the black tank wash system if you have it, but trying to keep that guage working accurately is like beating your head on the wall. Cheers.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:42 AM   #5

Old Biscuit is spot on. When the fresh water overflows, it's full. When your pump runs but no water comes out, it's empty. When you flush the toilet and it doesn't go down, it's full. I'm like Old Bixcuit, I don't even use the indicators anymore. You spend way more time trying to make a failed system work than it's worth.
MtCamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:44 AM   #6

I agree with the above post! I don't sweat it anymore. They do not work most of the time.
They weren't accurate when new. We get a lot more capacity than when we depended on the gauges indicating "full".

I was surprised to see the gray tank gauge working after towing for 200 miles at half full.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:29 AM   #7

check the ground wire on the back of the panel. i have a northwood, and it wasn't reading right. i pulled off the panel, and sure enough, i had a lose ground. Now it ready slightly more/less accurate. But definitely not spot on - black usually shows full after 2 or 3 flushes; i just ignore it.
slipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:46 AM   #8

you can put ice cubes in your black holding tank before your next camping trip.as you drive down the highway the cubes will clean the tank and as the cubes melt you just dump when you get to the campground.
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:54 PM   #9

I’ve also read that the sensor problems can be caused by hard water, which makes some sense since most parks/ campgrounds are on wells. One solution I had read about was putting a couple of gallons of white vinegar in your tanks and go for a drive. The vinegar will dissolve mineral deposits. Giving it a try on a run to Kansas tomorrow and will post the results, if any!
Bears Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:09 PM   #10
Community Moderator

The sensors are useless. Like others have said bad ideal. Me I think it is just a sadistic trick by someone to get back at people. We just listen for burp sound to understand the black tank is full and needs dumped. For the gray when it gurgles saying it is getting full.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water