Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #1

Build quality year of manufacture

So i have been looking at getting a used AF sooner than later. From what i have read quality suffered after 2010 when Ron Nash left due to health reasons. I am guessing that is initial build quality leaving the factory and not design quality overall. Would it be better to stay with a trailer pre-2010 or would it be ok to buy a used trailer that has had all the issues straightened out already then the trailer would be good to go. I would imagine the suspension is better on newer year trailers. I am looking at the 22h or 25r.
mtlangst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2020, 05:45 PM   #2

I had a 2013 Fox Mountain 235RLS for 6 years before getting a new ORV 25RDS. The 2013 FM 235 was built better than my ORV as far as quality goes. I don't me quality of materials, I mean quality of construction. My ORV has more sloppy areas than the FM 235 did.
With that being said I'd not be worried about any year from NW. Sure some come come of the line with less QC than others. I would rather have a 4-5 year old RV than a 10 year old one. After 10 years the roof membrane will need attention, appliances and other items are that much older and could be closer to fail.

Most issues are fixed early on in ownership with a warranty. I had a couple sloppy things fixed on my Fox in the 1st week and after than nothing needed fixed that was NW's fault. I've had to fix more on my ORV. Most are not major items and are mostly cosmetic or something easily fixed.

It does seem though that post 2009 Great Recession that all MFG's were trying to get them of the assembly line ASAP and thta made for some sloppy QC. But for the most part they're still made the same way. A crooked cabinet door, doesn't mean it's a bad TT.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #3

I think we need to realize at some point this aint a piano. I wish that RVs were more carefully built. But they're not. I think anything from Northwood or ORV is going to better than most anything in it's respective class of coach. I've had zero issues with my ORV. Doesn't mean I'm tickled or ticked about some of the construction quality. Some places I look and think, "man they got it together". Then I pull the micro wave out and see the "re positioned" the wire coming out of the ceiling in the cabinet by pulling it hard enough to basically tear the paneling til the wire was where the guy/gal wanted it..............certainly not having their act together! But I will live with that over what is built in Elkhart.
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:43 PM   #4

I will take any year Northwood product over everyone else's. My 15 year old Nash 19B is still going strong. Yeah it's getting long in the tooth, and we did a refresh inside last year to update, but it all still works and still looks good doing it. The outside is starting to get a bit ragged paint wise, graphics have faded but that doesn't diminish how it works. Northwood builds a solid product over what's out there and I won't buy anything else.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:15 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
OK I have had only one AF product - an 05 22H and it was great, no issues. We traded it in 17 for an ORV 25RDS - so far it has been great with no issues. I do remember attending rallies in both 07 and 15 and noticing the change in the quality of the units they brought for us to tour and give feedback on. Actually by watching the other northwoods forum there were quality issues starting around 13 about the same time that they started to gain popularity and started trying to pump out quantity over quality.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:25 PM   #6

We traded in a Starcraft Comet Mini for the Nash 22h and the Nash has had more issues then the Starcraft ever did. Biggest issue is we are getting delamination now (after only 15 months) and since the Nash only has a 12 month warranty we are stuck fixing it ourselves. Our dealership has been no help either so go figure.
cs1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:27 PM   #7

Our 2017 25W we have been completely happy with. No issues so far that we have found.

-Jace
JaceCTDAF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality