Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2020, 10:30 AM   #1

Cummins Onan RV QG 5500 LP Generator

Curious if anyone has any experience with this propane generator.. should I pay $4400 plus installation or should I buy two small portable generators ?

thanks blues
blues_sunris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2020, 07:42 PM   #2

It depends. I'd like the convenience of on on board generator to run the micro for 5 minutes. But I've never had one because the only reason I carry a generator is in case I need to run the AC for hours on end. I fear the porpane wouldn't be up to it. I used to pack a pair of Honda 2000s but they got heavier as I aged. Finally decided they weren't really portable for me anymore so I went for a 3500 that stays in my truck bed ahead of the hitch. So far it has over 10K miles on it and about 2 hours to run the coffee pot and slow cookers for a Jeep club potluck. I have a 150 watt solar and it keeps my batteries with zero problems to this point. I have a 2000 watt inverter powering a couple of dedicated outlets in case I need to watch TV or make a smoothie. Rarely turn on the TV. Sold the two Hondas for $1400 and purchased an Energizer brand one for $800. Only 2db louder than the Hondas. I'd look at the HF quiet generator if I was looking. Wouldn't pop $4400+ for the LP.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:46 AM   #3

i'm making some assumptions. since you are asking about a propane generator i assume it is for a trailer or fifth wheel.

if this is the case you are not going to run it while towing in order to run the a/c's on the road. you'll only use it when you are stationary. we have an onan 5500 lp generator and we use it this way. we normally stay in rv parks with electric hook ups so we really don't run the generator much. we have use it when park power failed.

we have to store our trailer in a rv storage lot that does not have power available. we actually run the generator quite often when it storage. we use it to power a vacuum cleaner or rug shampooer to clean the trailer. we use it to power an air compressor when we need to use it. of course we could take a smaller portable gas generator over and set it up to support these tasks also.

i would not recommend using the propane generator for extended boondocking trips. it can go through propane faster than you would like. but it is convenient to simply push a button to get it running as opposed to setting up a portable generator and hooking it up to the shore power cord.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:48 PM   #4

Expensive option .. I also thought it would eat propane . Will probably start out with portable
blues_sunris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, generator, onan