Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:17 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
generator ready

We recently purchased a 2022 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th wheel. It came generator ready, can I install an inverter and hook it to the generator ready wiring to power all of the outlets in the RV? How have others added a inverter?
Droski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2021, 05:59 PM   #2

I added an inverter to mine, but ran it to a couple of new outlets with a dedicated circuit. I don't see why you couldn't use the inverter out wired into the generator box in the front compartment. Should be easy since everything is in the same vicinity. Using 120 from 12 really draws down your batteries rapidly. Be sure to not be running the hot water heater or the refer on the inverter.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:46 AM   #3

I have a dealer prepping a 27-5L right now. Part of that is moving my Battleborne batteries and Victron hybrid inverter from my old TT to the new 5er.

I am not sure how he will connect things, but I should see the install tomorrow afternoon. The inverter goes in the generator bay, and the batteries above it in the under-bed area.

He will install a surge protector where shore power enters the rig. Apparently the generator auto transfer switch is there also, so he may have one leg of the circuit already available from the ATS to the generator bay. I donít know the configuration of that run. From the inverter he has to run a new wire either to the breaker box under the fridge, or back to the ATS.

The inverter will then run all A/C circuits. The inverter will have to be switched on to access any A/C power.
JHinman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:10 PM   #4

Your transfer switch is a manual one. There is a female plug in the same compartment as the power cord and all you do is plug the shore power male into the female. The EMS could be installed on either side of the existing female for the Generator prep. The coach batteries are right next door to where the inverter will be so I'd guess the tech will just use the existing feeds and move them to your new batteries under the bed area and then down to your inverter. From there using the existing generator prep. Sounds like you should have plenty of battery to use your inverter. As long as the purchase includes the removal and remount of you batteries and inverter, I'd let them figure it all out. There are a bunch on mods that have been done on the 27-5s. You might want to check the NROA site and see what others have done.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #5

I talked to the tech this afternoon. Apparently he cannot get directly from the generator compartment to the interior of the bed 😕. The cable comes up just barely outside the bed, so I will have to cover a little cable. That is not a big deal.

He will use the existing Romex from the transfer switch to the generator bay, and run new Romex back either to the breaker box or to the transfer switch location. I am not sure which he will do.

The fellow seems really competent, so I am trying to stay out of his way and let him do his job.

Since it is a hybrid inverter (Victron Multiplus) it needs shore power in order to charge the batteries.

When I see the finished job I will post again with whatever details I can figure out.
JHinman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator