Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-19-2022, 09:59 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 4
Heater problem on new used RV

I recently purchased a Northwood 2011 Fox Mountain 245 rks. Really like the unit. When I turn on the heater it fires up and heats well. After temps rise and the unit shuts off it does not come back on. I can turn heater off and then back on and it will fire up again and then not come on. I suspect the thermostat but I’m not at all sure. Any suggestions? Thank you very much.
Cephas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2022, 10:10 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Old-Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 22,750
Could be the circuit board for furnace.

What is the Furnace Brand/Model??
__________________
I took my Medication today. HAVE YOU?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:27 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Could be the circuit board for furnace.

What is the Furnace Brand/Model??
Hey Biscuit, It is late so I'll get back with you tomorrow, thanks for the help, Steve
Cephas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:15 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Could be the circuit board for furnace.

What is the Furnace Brand/Model??
Atwood
Model#: 8531-LV DCLP

Today I opened back cover to look at things and as soon as I did the furnace came on. It cycled without having to turn unit off and on again. My wife is working at her job in the rv and it stayed warm all afternoon but seemed to cycle to fast. Hmmm..... Nope, I don't have a clue what is going on.
Cephas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:56 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Old-Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 22,750
With Exterior cover removed check the wire connection on circuit board. Make sure it is making solid contact with board
* how many wires in connector?
3---white, red, black
4---white, BLUE, red, black

Cycling too fast?
How long would it run before shutting off then starting again?
Thermostat temp set point---how many degrees deviation between start/stop/start?
__________________
I took my Medication today. HAVE YOU?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:16 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
With Exterior cover removed check the wire connection on circuit board. Make sure it is making solid contact with board
* how many wires in connector?
3---white, red, black
4---white, BLUE, red, black

Cycling too fast?
How long would it run before shutting off then starting again?
Thermostat temp set point---how many degrees deviation between start/stop/start?
Thank you much for your help. I know this is strange. It quit cycling fast and is now doing the same as it did at first, ie Comes on and then doesn't come on again until it is either turned off and back on or thermostat lever is pushed to the left (cooler) and then broght back up. Pushing the lever to right does not work even if the temp in the room has gone down 20 degrees.
Cephas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:46 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Old-Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 22,750
Circuit board.
__________________
I took my Medication today. HAVE YOU?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:28 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
It quit cycling fast and is now doing the same as it did at first, ie Comes on and then doesn't come on again until it is either turned off and back on or thermostat lever is pushed to the left (cooler) and then broght back up. Pushing the lever to right does not work even if the temp in the room has gone down 20 degrees.
I had issues with my heater acting up, not like your's, but as you said you need to push your thermostat lever to the left then reset it to the right, makes me wonder.

My heater would go through the cycle of heating then, when it reached the right temp, run the blower only to cool off the heater. It is supposed to shut down totally after a bit and not restart until heat is called for again. Mine started to shut down totally but, before the fan would stop, it would start up again on the cool down cycle. It would do this 3-4 times before finally stopping.

I replaced the thermostat with one from the BORG and never had another issue. Quite a bit cheaper than a control board, but not positive it will work in your case.

Happy travels . . .
__________________
2019 27-5L, Companion Hitch, 2015 RAM 3500 LB Crew Cab SRW Aisian

Retired, '03 24-5N (w/~80k miles), '03 RAM 2500 LB Crew Cab 6sp manual
CalCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:36 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Old-Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 22,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCamp View Post
I had issues with my heater acting up, not like your's, but as you said you need to push your thermostat lever to the left then reset it to the right, makes me wonder.

My heater would go through the cycle of heating then, when it reached the right temp, run the blower only to cool off the heater. It is supposed to shut down totally after a bit and not restart until heat is called for again. Mine started to shut down totally but, before the fan would stop, it would start up again on the cool down cycle. It would do this 3-4 times before finally stopping.

I replaced the thermostat with one from the BORG and never had another issue. Quite a bit cheaper than a control board, but not positive it will work in your case.

Happy travels . . .
Strange^^^^

Fan is controlled by furnace circuit board. Nothing to do with thermostat
Thermostat triggers circuit board but after that all functions are via circuit board
__________________
I took my Medication today. HAVE YOU?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:20 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Strange^^^^

Fan is controlled by furnace circuit board. Nothing to do with thermostat
Thermostat triggers circuit board but after that all functions are via circuit board
Strange as it may be, I spoke with a guy that sells beefed up boards, can't remember the name but dinosaur comes to mind, and he said it was the thermostat. So, off to the BORG I went and picked one up. Installed it and had absolutely no issues afterwards.

I'm not an ET so I can't tell you how/why it worked. This was on my '04 24-5N. I had that from '03 to '19 or so. I'd have to do a search as to when all this happened, but I'd guess around '13 or '14. We only put about 80 or 90k miles on that rig.

Back to morning brew . . .

OK, OK, I searched. It was in Feb of '04. It was before I smartened up and learned the etiquette of posting the final fix, but here is the posting.
__________________
2019 27-5L, Companion Hitch, 2015 RAM 3500 LB Crew Cab SRW Aisian

Retired, '03 24-5N (w/~80k miles), '03 RAM 2500 LB Crew Cab 6sp manual
CalCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heat, heater, problem



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trading in - used to newer used tuffr2 5th Wheel Discussion 5 03-27-2015 05:26 AM
Visone RV ? Has anyone used these folks for used parts ? johnboy2 Monaco Owner's Forum 15 11-05-2014 03:49 PM
Buy new or used? Hate to pay full price of new. Too risky used? OswegoLion iRV2.com General Discussion 19 02-27-2014 08:28 AM
Are used 2000+ Windsors/Dynasty's a decent used RV? hogdriver Monaco Owner's Forum 4 06-16-2013 07:26 PM
Used Gas MH vs. used Diesel MH? tiniree Class A Motorhome Discussions 10 04-30-2006 07:57 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.