RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #1

Hitch for 2019 Ram 2500 HD CC with AF 27-5L

Hi,

I’m new to the forum and just bought a lightly used 2016 27-5L this past weekend. We’ll be towing with a 2019 Ram 2500 HD diesel short box 4x4 CC.

My Ram doesn’t have the factory 5th wheel prep and I’m trying to figure out which hitch would work best. I know this is a loaded question but is there anyone out there with the same truck and trailer with a hitch that’s working well for them? This truck is so tall I’m concerned about bed height (so trailer is level) and bed rail height, and also wondering if i need a slider or not, if yes, manual or auto slider. It would be nice to easily remove the hitch to use the truck bed, but that’s secondary to having a setup that will be safe and won’t damage the truck or trailer. Trailer does have the MORryde pin box.

Realize that hitch selection is subjective but wonder if someone out there has my same truck and trailer. We won’t be doing any real off-roading but also don’t want the trailer hitting the truck when backing, etc.

We’re fairly new to RVing but did have a travel trailer back in the 90s.

Thanks in advance.

bobp18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2020, 07:56 PM   #2

My last Ram was a 98. I've been with GMC since 2003. I used a B&W Companion moving it between trucks. The new truck came with the puck mounts so just a new base and moved the top. B&W is adjustable for height and there is some adjustment in your trailers hitch as well, but I doubt you'll need to adjust it. I've gone thru 5 trucks and the same number of fifth wheels without a slider hitch. Unless you try, you can't hit your camper without going over 90* and there is no reason to do that. You should be able to set it up so the camper is about level and you have 7" or so clearance from the bed rails. I see lots of new Rams towing 27-5s. Welcome to the NROA family.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:33 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply - that helps a lot. Is your current truck a short bed that you’re pulling the 27 with?

The B&W Companion is the one I’ve been thinking we should go with, but thought it would have to be the slider version because of our short bed.

So just to make sure I’m not misunderstanding, you’re saying I should be able to use the Companion non-slider and still be ok, even though we have the short bed?

I’ve also been looking on the internet at the Andersen Ultimate just because it’s so light and easy to remove. I know there are a lot of them out there being used successfully and a lot of people are happy with them, but am a little worried about a couple of stories about people having problems.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2020, 09:51 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
B&W makes the Companion hitch for factory pucks now and it is a great hitch. They call it the Companion OEM series. You should not need a slider for that 99 percent of the time but care is always required with the standard bed. Your pin weight with the hitch will be close to 3000 pounds though and Ram's sometimes have lower payload numbers than you might expect so check your rear axle rating.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:57 PM   #5

Great information and advice, thank you.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:34 PM   #6

Yes my truck is a short bed. All of them have been short beds. With the old style flat front I did have to watch it close and couldn't get close to 90*. Some of the old fifth wheels didn't even have an extended pin box. Your 27-5 has a radiused front and an extended pin box. You will have no problem with a B&W without a slider. The new puck mount systems are great but I installed 4 of the B&W turnover ball hitches for myself and friends. Really easy install and the Companion head can be moved if you change trucks to one with the puck system.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:26 PM   #7

Thanks MtCamper and keymastr for your input.

We bought the 27-5L at a dealership and they’re going through it now to make sure everything works and detailing it. We have an appointment to pick it up on April 10. I didn’t know if the virus emergency might have delayed them but I called this morning and they said we’re still on for 4/10.

I ended up getting the Andersen hitch to save weight and to make it easier to remove. Spent the last couple days installing a B&W turnover ball, Firestone airbags, and a harness to move the plug into the bed. The only hiccup I ran into was torquing the four bolts that go horizontally into the truck’s cross members. There just isn’t much room for a torque wrench.

Thanks again - my wife and I are excited to get started camping.