Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2023, 06:12 PM   #1

How cold is too cold?

We have a 29-5T, 2020. How cold is too cold to stay in it? This is assuming we have a heat source such as a Kimberly wood stove, and a heated water line. I'm wondering about plumbing, even with the inside temp being in say the 60s. How cold has anyone ever dared in your AF without issues?
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2023, 06:19 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to burgmark
You should check the manuals that come with your RV, they likely tell you something about how cold you can go. My motorhome manuals tell me that if I run my furnace and maintain above 50 degrees that water lines will not freeze. We supplement the furnace with an electric heater, but its important to run the furnace because its right next to the wet bay and some of the heat goes there. Some people put tiny heaters or lightbulbs in their wet bay to maintain additional heat.

I've been out when the night time temps get down to 17 degrees and never had anything freeze.
burgmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 06:33 PM   #3

Ignore the wood stove, it will not prevent water plumbing from freezing, only the LP furnace supplies heat to hidden plumbing. Open all cabinet doors and drawers that will allow heat to reach hidden plumbing lines.
Assuming you'll fire the wood stove instead of LP furnace anyway, the coldest temperatures your plumbing will survive is around 27-28°F continuously, but if daytime highs reach 40-50°F your trailer should survive cold nights.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 07:34 PM   #4
Community Moderator

I camped in 0-5 F in the South Lake Tahoe during the winter heating with a factory electric fireplace and portable oil bath heater on a 2004 Keystone fifth trailer for 2 seasons. Fabricated a electrical heat traced and insulated water hose to supply water without freezing.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:08 PM   #5

I have a 2020 21SW, I just spent a week in Elko, NV the entire week was below freezing, daytime mostly 28F 3 days in a row nightly lows were -17F, using the furnace I had no problems with freezing pipes, but my 30pound propane tank only lasted 6 days.
As someone else mentioned don't use an electric heater or "fireplace" as you'll keep the inside living compartment warm and comfortable but you won't be heating the underbelly where your holding tanks and pipes are.
I did go to Lowes and got some 1/4inch polyfoam insulation boards and put around trainer as skirting.
MacTarnahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 09:10 PM   #6

Sounds like it's crucial to use the built in propane heater of the trailer, makes sense as the ducts probably heat the plumbing. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 02-18-2023, 12:19 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
drjenk said: "a heat source such as a Kimberly wood stove"

Are you using a wood stove inside your RV?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 06:58 AM   #8

I wouldn't try to keep a water hose connected. Run off your onboard tank and fill as needed. Drain your fill hose when you're done. You can supplement with electric or a small wood stove, but be sure the furnace runs on occasion. If you are living in it for the winter, skirt the underneath with something, preferable insulated. Hay bales work in a pinch. They are called 4 season, but they don't mean they are comfortable in all 4 seasons.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 07:08 AM   #9

No idea on OP's specific model.

I have monitors in living space, wet bay, and under sink.

This will alert based on parameters user sets. So I can alert on too cold or freeze risk. Or, too warm for pets if I'm away at grocery store or wherever.
https://a.co/d/fYPZ1Yl
Old 02-18-2023, 08:51 AM   #10

"WINTER PROTECTION WHILE RV IS IN USE:
When using the RV in cold weather be sure there is adequate circulation of warm air from the furnace around all water pipes. Leaving the bath door and cabinet doors open will help to avoid freezing pipes.

Keep the ceiling vent slightly open. You can reduce or eliminate interior moisture condensation during cold weather by partially opening one or more roof vents and windows to provide controlled circulation of outside air into the interior of the RV. You can also install storm windows to help reduce or eliminate condensation on window glass."

See page 23.
https://northwoodmfg.com/wp-content/...d-Products.pdf

Use electric space heaters as long as outside temperature is above 32 degrees. Use furnace when temperature is below 32 degrees.

Get a thermometer and measure temperature in plumbing spaces. Of course water freezes at 32 degrees. Trickle water from tap over thermometer. Temperature may change as the line is flushed. If it drops below 40 degrees F, take preventative action.

Small diameter pipe freezes faster than water tanks.

Valves, faucets, pumps, and fittings are easily broken when ice forms. PEC plastic pipe is resistant to damage.

Close dump valves and only open to dump significant amounts of fluid. Stinky slinky will fill up solid with ice if you let water trickle out.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 09:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
Sounds like it's crucial to use the built in propane heater of the trailer, makes sense as the ducts probably heat the plumbing. Thanks for all the replies.
That is what it's for..........
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote