RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:13 AM   #1

Nash 22H... Should I buy?

Holiday RV in Salida Colorado has a 2015 Nash-22H. They're asking 15 for it. It looks very clean on the inside and looks to be taken care of. I plan on full timing with just myself and my large 80-lb dog. Most likely will be at an RV park for the next year or so and then hope to do some boondocking with it. I need to buy a bigger truck as I only own a Tacoma and that will not pull it very well. Also the dealer is an ORV dealer. Some of the new units they have are a little bit bigger at 27 and 28 ft. Yes more expensive obviously. But if I'm going to full-time is it worth buying new? I don't own a house or anything else to live in. Also like the idea of heated tanks. The Nash has insulated tanks but they are not heated. Trying to decide which way to go on this one. Any advice is appreciated.
MedicineWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2020, 12:35 PM   #2

If it's in good shape you're better to buy this one for 15 rather than spend twice that for a new one which may not have the build quality (lots of people are complaining lately about build quality) of the 2015 model. Also you might find that you and your dog are really not comfortable living in such a confined space. So having 15 invested will make it easier to upgrade to something bigger if necessary. New doesn't necessarily make it better. I have a 2008 Nash which I wouldn't trade for a new one.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:17 PM   #3

No way in heck would I saddle myself full time in something that small. If your going to live full time look for a 30 foot at least. Heck for a couple of years, find a park model and have it moved in. An RV will have very minimal insulation making it hot in summer and cold in winter. A park model will have 2x4 stud walls offering twice the insulation value and three times the living space. With the added bonus of no holding tanks to bother with and real, not RV appliances.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:26 PM   #4

Good advice!
22' is WAY too small for full timing!
Cheers
retnasaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:24 PM   #5

Ended up buying a new outdoors RV 26Kvs...the Nash was just too small
MedicineWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:45 PM   #6

I know I am late to the party

Happens that I am also looking at a 22H or 22GQ. Looking at 2009 or earlier as I want the narrow body.

When I evaluated what I thought I would want to maybe not live in permanently, but spend extended times in.

My families first two homes were trailers, yes, probably bigger than 22', but not by much. Later in life my family of 7 had a 16' Shasta trailer. It didn't have a toliet or shower which we didn't miss too much as we were usually at national or state parks that had those facilities. We did have a portapotty stuffed under the main bed.

I chose Arctic Fox for quality and features, i.e. 4-season, etc. I feel if I stretched the 16' Shasta a few feet to add a bathroom, I would be happy, and a 22' AF is bigger yet.

I follow a lot of boondockers on YT and yes, some have monster motorhomes, but many of them are living in cars, mini-vans, etc. Not saying that small is comfortable. The best known boondocker lives in a Chevy van, but not because of financial limits, but it is what he chooses to live in.
StepandWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:03 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicineWolf View Post
Ended up buying a new outdoors RV 26Kvs...the Nash was just too small
Those KVS models are becoming quite popular - we went from a 22H to an ORV 25RDS with the idea of doing lots of traveling and camp hosting where we would be living in it for a month or more at a time. We also looked at an ORV - back in 17 they had a model that was just a bit bigger than the 22H and featured a walk around bed - it was about 27' overall compared to the 24' overall on the 22H. For some reason the bedroom area just felt small - I think it was due to the full wall behind the sofa - where the 22H had a short wall and a curtain.

I hope you enjoy your KVS - we love our 25RDS
Old 10-26-2020, 09:32 PM   #8

Hello, Having just picked a 22GQ on Saturday, I am wondering in what way you think it is too small. There is just me and the dog. Queen sized bed, nice size shower/tub, and the basic dinette. My only gripe is the head end of the bed under the sloped nose cap. I am thinking of sleeping in the bed the other way around. I consider the 22GQ a huge upgrade from my previous 16' trailer.

Yes, it is too small for a bowling alley or flag football, but just how much space do you need? I almost wish my house was smaller as there would be less to clean.

For those who think it is too small, please explain. Not enough storage?

My cousin has the Snow River 25' model for him and his wife. They went with the 25 to get a bigger dinette for entertaining which is a non-factor for me. Otherwise, they are happy with the size. I just can't imagine needing an apartment or house on wheels. Please help me understand.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:36 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Stepandwolf - Our 22H was indeed fine for the two of us and a couple of dogs for a week or so. When we first started looking for its replacement we were also looking in the under 30' total length but we started looking at our friends who also camp host as well as my parents who took several 8+wk vacations in their motorhome. Both came to the conclusion that their rigs were a tad on the small side. Our friends have a 24'TT with only a dinette seating, my parents had a 22' class A motorhome with the same complaint. Our friends just love our 25RDS (my parents have both passed on but I am sure they would also love it). Part of our reasoning for the larger rig is our two dogs and storage. Yes one of our dogs is a two year old border collie who loves to play ball in the trailer at nite - anything smaller than what we have would simply not work.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:08 AM   #10

You asked if you should buy. This isn't a once in a lifetime purchase. Nash will hold it's value well and if you think it will work for you, buy it. Within a few months you will know if you did right or not. If it's too small at the very least it will be good trading stock.

Now to answer the question you didn't ask. We do not full time. We have spent 5 to 7 months at a time in ours. We found the winter nights can be long, especially boondocking. We needed to have a couple of comfortable spots to sit. We have changed out the foam on both the dinette chairs to a more dense variety. We got rid of the couch and put in a couple of small recliners. I'd recommend you look for something you can change to get the seating you will need. I've seen one similar to the 22H where the owner had removed the dinette and added a desk and a recliner. Something like that may work for you.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy the sly old fox View Post
Stepandwolf - Our 22H was indeed fine for the two of us and a couple of dogs for a week or so. When we first started looking for its replacement we were also looking in the under 30' total length but we started looking at our friends who also camp host as well as my parents who took several 8+wk vacations in their motorhome. Both came to the conclusion that their rigs were a tad on the small side. Our friends have a 24'TT with only a dinette seating, my parents had a 22' class A motorhome with the same complaint. Our friends just love our 25RDS (my parents have both passed on but I am sure they would also love it). Part of our reasoning for the larger rig is our two dogs and storage. Yes one of our dogs is a two year old border collie who loves to play ball in the trailer at nite - anything smaller than what we have would simply not work.
I don't anticipate storage will be an issue. In fact, I am wondering how I will fill the space. I do know space seems to find a way to get filled. I have tent and trailer camped and everything I have taken with me would fit in a footlocker or two, certainly less than the space I have in the trailer.

I have a dog, and she likes to play catch and chase, but I don't think the trailer is the place for that. Further, adding 3 or 5' more in length doesn't seem it would make much of a difference for playing ball.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2020, 03:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
You asked if you should buy. This isn't a once in a lifetime purchase. Nash will hold it's value well and if you think it will work for you, buy it. Within a few months you will know if you did right or not. If it's too small at the very least it will be good trading stock.

Now to answer the question you didn't ask. We do not full time. We have spent 5 to 7 months at a time in ours. We found the winter nights can be long, especially boondocking. We needed to have a couple of comfortable spots to sit. We have changed out the foam on both the dinette chairs to a more dense variety. We got rid of the couch and put in a couple of small recliners. I'd recommend you look for something you can change to get the seating you will need. I've seen one similar to the 22H where the owner had removed the dinette and added a desk and a recliner. Something like that may work for you.
In my case it is an Arctic Fox which is up a step from the Nash in features.

I have a couple purposes for my trailer. One is for when I need a place to sleep at a remote location, such as at an event. Secondly I do landscape photography and will be primarily moving from spot to spot. Thirdly, I will be hanging out with people I have met through YouTube who are full time boondockers. Some of them have large motorhomes, some live in vans, even some in cars. I don't anticipate being in the trailer other for meal prep and sleeping with some internet usage when available.

As far as winter nights, I expect to be a fair weather camper. I only intend to travel where the temperatures are comfortable which means I won't be trailer bound for weather reasons. Probably more for wind storms than the cold.

As far as comfortable spots to sit, I haven't even sat at the dinette yet so I don't know if I will find it comfy or not. Since I have the GQ model, mine has the larger queen bed but doesn't have the couch. I can't imagine removing the dinette as I would still want the work surface and a place for company if I ever have any. Having spent one night in the bed, I think it is just fine. Don't know if it is the original bed or not.

I don't think removing the dinette would give me space for what I think of as far as recliners go. My recliner I have at home would take the full space where the dinette is and would reach across the width of the trailer to where the sink is. Can't conceive of putting a recliner in that small of space unless there is some kind of recliner that I am not aware of. For me, if I wanted to recline, I would probably just sit up on the bed.

I still need to figure out the bed arrangement, because to sit up in it, the headboard can't be under the sloping nose of the trailer.

Thanks so much!
Old 10-28-2020, 12:36 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Stephandwolf - you asked for reasons why some of us need a larger rig - I told you our reasons. No two peoples needs are the same. If it were just me and my dog, I would probably go with a pickup camper or indeed a smaller rig - I would also make sure that it meet my goals and needs. If we all had the same needs there would only be one floorplan and it would meet all our needs.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy the sly old fox View Post
Stephandwolf - you asked for reasons why some of us need a larger rig - I told you our reasons. No two peoples needs are the same. If it were just me and my dog, I would probably go with a pickup camper or indeed a smaller rig - I would also make sure that it meet my goals and needs. If we all had the same needs there would only be one floorplan and it would meet all our needs.
I understand everyone is different. I am reacting to those who say a 22' isn't big enough while others live in vans and are fine. I thought a 22' would give me all of the things I needed without additional length or weight than needed. So my questions are more aimed at trying to understand what the additional needs are maybe in comparison to wants. Having spent one night in my trailer I can only use my 16' TT for comparison. I gained a bigger bed and bathroom my 16' didn't have. Since the 22' has all of the basic items, I wonder why people think it is too small?