Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2022, 04:04 AM   #1

Vent Fans

Northwood seems to choose better quality materials/products then most RV builders.
Can anybody explain why they spec. Fantastic Fans over the seemingly superior Maxxair Fans?
Quality Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2022, 08:38 AM   #2

I don't think anyone can give you a direct answer to that question. I would suspect it is based on a long term relationship with the supplier and overall satisfaction with that relationship. Northwood doesn't tend to change much year to year. Change and following the latest trend is not their forte.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 07:55 PM   #3

What is so superior about the Maxxair fans? I've never used one and have used Fantastic fans in all the RV's I've owned. Been very satisfied with their performance. So satisfied that I installed two in my current Nash TT.
Old 03-23-2022, 05:36 PM   #4

Vent Fans

Thanks for your responses

The Maxxair fans can operate in the rain without an additional (very tall) cover, which can be of concern on a 5th wheel,
boondocking.

I'l be retiring soon and will be going out on the road for longer trips then in the past. I'll be stepping up to a 5th wheel.

What lead me to this question is that I'm weighing the differences between the Outdoor RV vs. Arctic Fox

I'll start a new thread listing the 2 Models, seeking advice on pro's and con's.
Quality Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:52 PM   #5

We are on our second AF 27-5L, the first was a 2000 model, this one is a 2018. They both had/have Fantastic fans, and I don't see how a Maxx air could be considered superior. The Fantastics in our new one are remote control from the factory, and include rain sensors. If they get moisture on the sensor they close. It doesn't seem to take very much moisture. Sometimes they will close when I don't even realize there is a shower on the way.

We boondock and dry camp a lot, and haven't found what we feel is a better rig yet.

We also like the fact that Northwoods doesn't follow all the latest fads. This year at the RV shows, there were almost no 5ers that didn't have an all white interior. How in the f would that work boondocking, which includes sand, dust, and occasionally mud.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:03 AM   #6

We added a Fantastic Fan in the hallway area(mid coach)to our ORV 20fq. We've always thought it was noisy. Bearing noise for sure, but in addition to that, noisy in general. My cousin just install a really nice Maxx Air fan that is all remote control including the opening and closing of the vent top. It is so much quieter than the Fantastic Fan. I will likely replace the one in our coach with a Maxx Air. Then change the "noisy, bearing squeeling motor" in the Fantastic Fan and use it in the bathroom as the one in there is getting a bit shabby.
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:51 AM   #7

I've had both brands. I had the FF in my NW Fox 235 for 6 years without issue.
I now have had the MA fans in my ORV for 2.5 years. One issue and one complaint.
I don't like the controller on the MA as well as the FF. The gasket seal on the lid seems to stick too much. Still trying to find a way to lube it without a major disassemble. We're out on our 1st trip of the season right now and yesterday I wanted to open the vent in the living area and the lid was stuck from sitting over the winter. I had to take the screen off and use some tongs to push the lid free from the seal so it could raise up.
I really see only one advantage over the FF with a MA fan and thats the built in rain shield.
I added a cover to my FF when we had our Fox so that problem was solved.

Other than all that I don't see where the idea that one's better than the other.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 10:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage465 View Post
We added a Fantastic Fan in the hallway area(mid coach)to our ORV 20fq. We've always thought it was noisy. Bearing noise for sure, but in addition to that, noisy in general. My cousin just install a really nice Maxx Air fan that is all remote control including the opening and closing of the vent top. It is so much quieter than the Fantastic Fan. I will likely replace the one in our coach with a Maxx Air. Then change the "noisy, bearing squeeling motor" in the Fantastic Fan and use it in the bathroom as the one in there is getting a bit shabby.
I agree with the squealing. When I called the manufacturer about it, they suggested to run the fan in the opposite direction for several hours to try to remediate the squeal. Welp, that didn't work. In the sig, you will see that the rig is 2017, Fantastic Fan has sent me 2 replacements: 1 for the bedroom and the other for the bathroom. While I appreciate the generosity of Fantastic Fan to replace those, I shouldn't have had to do so, so soon in the rigs life. The motors are sealed units and I don't see an easy way in to attempt to oil the bearings or oilite sleaves. I have max aire covers on the roof, but have no experience with their fans, yet.

Tags
fan, vent