Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:19 PM   #1

Water heater & 110

Question: Just took out the 5ver for the first time this year, the water heater didnít work with the 110 but did work with propane. At first blush the fuse looked okay but I will look at it again. Any other possible solutions before bringing it to my (very good) repair shop?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2021, 09:15 PM   #2

Sure! You probably have a separate switch for the water heater. Probably in the water heater access panel on the outside. I am too lazy to look it up, but I am sure that there are several youtube videos which show you where th switch is. For what it is worth- using only propane is no big deal- the water heater does not use all that much propane BIG tip- ONLY turn the water heater on 10 minutes before you need hot water, then turn it off. It is wasteful to keep the water hot all the time, and it will be PLENTY hot 10 minutes after turning on the water heater
Old 04-15-2021, 09:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Povo View Post
Question: Just took out the 5ver for the first time this year, the water heater didnít work with the 110 but did work with propane. At first blush the fuse looked okay but I will look at it again. Any other possible solutions before bringing it to my (very good) repair shop?
Which water heater do you have Atwood or Suburban? If Atwood you only have 1 switch to turn on the water heater. But if the Suburban there should be 2 switches one switch is on the water heater itself.
Also did you check the circuit breaker for it? There is also an inline fuse which could have blown. If all checks then you will need to check the circuit board to make sure it is okay.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:20 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you by chance turn on the electric before you filled the water heater tank? This will burn out the electric element.

Ken
Old 04-16-2021, 01:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Did you by chance turn on the electric before you filled the water heater tank? This will burn out the electric element.

Ken

Ouch. Itís possible....
Old 04-16-2021, 01:52 PM   #6

POVO, say it ain't so

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
I did that at home, after 6 months RVing.

Off to Home Depot for 2 elements.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:07 PM   #8

So, circuit breaker and fuse are both good. No other switches other than the reset button on the unit itself. When I click the 110 switch to on position it doesnít light up like the other switches do when turned on (lights, water heater gas, etc.). Does this mean anything?
Old 04-20-2021, 05:16 PM   #9

Quote:
So, circuit breaker and fuse are both good. No other switches other than the reset button on the unit itself. When I click the 110 switch to on position it doesnít light up like the other switches do when turned on (lights, water heater gas, etc.). Does this mean anything?
Are you sure you don't have a switch inside the water heater compartment? I assume the switch you have on the panel inside the trailer is supposed to light up with a red light. If it doesnt, you have a bad fuse, switch is off inside the outer heater compartment or there is a bad connection at one of the connectors
Old 04-20-2021, 05:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Hall View Post
Sure! You probably have a separate switch for the water heater. Probably in the water heater access panel on the outside. I am too lazy to look it up, but I am sure that there are several youtube videos which show you where th switch is. For what it is worth- using only propane is no big deal- the water heater does not use all that much propane BIG tip- ONLY turn the water heater on 10 minutes before you need hot water, then turn it off. It is wasteful to keep the water hot all the time, and it will be PLENTY hot 10 minutes after turning on the water heater
There is not way you will have hot water after having the gas burner on for 10 minutes. I have a 10 gallon tank and it will definitely not be hot with only 1 min per gallon...
Old 04-25-2021, 10:20 AM   #11

Water Heater reset buttons

i have a 23D and my water heater has a switch near the lower left corner that has to be "On" to work. There are also 2 reset buttons covered by a rubber cover that might need to be reset?

Tom
TomU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:59 AM   #12

I saw the reset buttons. Pushed both - couldn’t tell if they did anything. I’ll look for the switch. Might have missed it. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2021, 11:12 AM   #13

Quote:
I saw the reset buttons. Pushed both - couldn’t tell if they did anything. I’ll look for the switch. Might have missed it. Thanks!
You haven't posted Brand/Model
but if you have Reset Buttons then you have a Suburban Model

Left Reset is for the AC (electric element)
Right Reset is for the DC (propane)

Lower left corner below/behind gas valve is the OEM AC on/off switch
It has to be ON (along with any RV MFG added On/Off switch inside RV) for AC to go to element
**120VAC Circuit Breaker>>>On/off switch(s)>>>>High temp T-stat/normal temp T-stat>>>element (under the oval cover below gas burner tube)
Black Wire---120VAC Hot
White wire---120VAC Neutral

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:12 PM   #14

From the responses and talking to my RV shop the most likely scenario is that I must have turned the 110 on before filling up the hot water heater. Not good. Fortunately and easy fix replacing the element which I did this morning. Havenít tried it yet but will on our next trip over Memorial Day. Pretty sure that was it as the old one was pitted and curved when I took it out. Also glad it was something I could (thanks to YouTube) as the shop is booked out until July. Last year was a big RV year and I knew this spring would be crazy but July? Told Ďem if they werenít so good they wouldnít have this problem.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater