Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2021, 06:13 AM   #1

Winter Travel

Hello there.

We are contemplating a Holiday trip to the East coast from Arizona and wondering if pulling our 24AS is a bad idea. Northern PA being the final destination.

It is a 2021 and even though Northwood claims "Heated Tanks" ours does not have the optional heat pads.

What else is going to Freeze at 65 MPH?

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...n_2021_087.JPG
odinjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2021, 11:22 AM   #2

'Heated Tanks'......most likely a furnace duct that blows warm air into the underbelly area around the tanks

You could travel with fresh water tank 1/2 full and use as needed then drain the plumbing system via Low point drains (leave them open until ready to use water), drain water heater tank , leave faucets open, make sure toilet water supply valve is drained etc

Turn on RV Furnace and keep trailer roasty toasty warm while traveling

OR completely drain/winterize trailer and not use until at destination then run Furnace

A little water in waste tanks/fresh water tanks will be OK even if it freezes as there is room for expansion
Water lines.....especially low point drain lines that have caps/valves on end of them will freeze and break valves/fittings
Toilet water supply valve can freeze/split open

Then of course there is BAD Weather/Travel considerations
Chains for truck/trailer??????????
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:30 PM   #3

Sounds like I'll be leaving the RV in Arizona and paying for Motels going across country.
odinjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 05:52 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
We use antifreeze in our black and gray tank when traveling in the winter. We leave our fresh water system completely winterized. Keep about 6 gallon jugs of water in shower for flushing and washing up. Bottled water for cooking and drinking.

It really is not that bad and allows us to enjoy our coach while traveling. Stop for coffee and run furnace again at lunch.

We enjoy it just fine.
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:55 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinjunior View Post
Sounds like I'll be leaving the RV in Arizona and paying for Motels going across country.
That's what I would do. I wouldn't worry about pipes freezing, etc. I would worry a whole bunch about road conditions and the possibility of surprising opportunities for loss of sufficient traction between my several tires and the pavement.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:12 PM   #6

I had a job in Columbus, OH and was there for the winter. I had a heat traced hose for water (Regular hose, heat trace wire from HD in 24 ft, and wrapped with pipe insulation. Use zip ties to hold the heat wire to the hose. Cut your 25 ft hose to fit heat wire, and use plastic hose end.) Run your propane heater to keep underside warm. Don't use space heaters as everything will freeze. Fill FW tank half in case hose fails. You will burn a lot of propane, so have at least 3 tanks. Mid winter I traded a 30 ft HR for a 40 ft Montana and was never cold or had pipes freeze. Now all bets are off if it gets down to 30 below. However, 0 F was fine.
MingusPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:01 PM   #7

We head out of Nova Scotia around Nov 1st and drive slowly to Texas. We have a 29 5t and I don't believe we have heated tanks.. Not sure how I could tell. Lots of nights below 0. We take our water hose off because the hose / filter will freeze ..

Tags
travel, winter