Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Revcon Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #1

1972 Revcon 250

I recently purchased a 1972 Revcon 250 and have quickly realized how tough it's going to be to do a complete remodel of this rare beast. Currently I'm searching for new tires... the stock Revcon came with (5) 10-16.5 tires - including spare. For some odd reason the one I bought has two 9.5-16.5 and two 12.5-16.5 on the rear. I'm able to mount some 9.5-16.5 transforce's on three wheels, but the two rear wheels are wider and they no longer make tires to fit a 12.5-6.5 wheel. Although I'm going with a tire that's .5 smaller than the originals, the weight grade is higher.

Any recommendations on the two rear wheels? Or does anyone know where I can possibly find two wheels that came with the stock 72 Revcon 250? (And some spare lug nuts, considering the rarity of those as well.)

... Everything/everybody leads me Marty Moore's in San Diego, but the phone number is no longer in service and I live too far to check it out myself.
Thanks in advance! Have a great weekend.

- Jacob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0127.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	160976  
Arredondo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2017, 05:45 PM   #2

Back in the day 12 16.5's were readily available because they were the replacement for dual 16's. I have an equipment trailer and have them on it.

STA Super Transport® I Light Truck Bias Ply Tires

You will probably find you rear end is set up for duals but Revcon wanted the kewel look and smaller fit of the big singles. If you can find a good commercial truck tire guy who knows what he's doing he can pull the measurements and offer you come modern alternatives, 17" duals for instance. The same thing goes for the lug nuts. Different doesn't equate to rare except in application.

I was searching without much success for a door latch assembly for my 2002 C3500 HD. All of the most common internet sites were only offering Silverado options, different animal in a lot of ways. I finally found a site that had the right model parts and there found a factory part number. I'll have the part tomorrow from Amazon Prime after ignoring repeated warnings that the part wouldn't fit my 2002 Silverado 3500Hd. They would have been right if they weren't wrong. I don't have the Silverado but it is all they give me as an option.

Point being, you need to dig a little deeper when you have something that isn't common. There are a lot more options in the tire and wheel world today. If you want to go the accurate restoration route then you're going to have to chase the RV wrecking yards. But if you want your solution to be current and easily available then I would do some digging find an old school commercial truck tire guy.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:14 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
I put 265x75 16 on my 1980 Revlon King 33 they are the same height as the 16.5 that were on it 245x75s are a little narrower
Snufy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:17 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
I might have some lugs I don't remember if I kept them
Old 05-09-2017, 11:21 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
There is a place in Sacramento called Dr. George also in Lincoln Harps Vintage RV
Old 05-14-2017, 12:28 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufy1 View Post
There is a place in Sacramento called Dr. George also in Lincoln Harps Vintage RV
....I drive by his store everyday on my way to work. I can check on the lug nuts for you...
Railhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
Back in the day 12 16.5's were readily available because they were the replacement for dual 16's. I have an equipment trailer and have them on it.

STA Super Transport I Light Truck Bias Ply Tires

You will probably find you rear end is set up for duals but Revcon wanted the kewel look and smaller fit of the big singles. If you can find a good commercial truck tire guy who knows what he's doing he can pull the measurements and offer you come modern alternatives, 17" duals for instance. The same thing goes for the lug nuts. Different doesn't equate to rare except in application.

I was searching without much success for a door latch assembly for my 2002 C3500 HD. All of the most common internet sites were only offering Silverado options, different animal in a lot of ways. I finally found a site that had the right model parts and there found a factory part number. I'll have the part tomorrow from Amazon Prime after ignoring repeated warnings that the part wouldn't fit my 2002 Silverado 3500Hd. They would have been right if they weren't wrong. I don't have the Silverado but it is all they give me as an option.

Point being, you need to dig a little deeper when you have something that isn't common. There are a lot more options in the tire and wheel world today. If you want to go the accurate restoration route then you're going to have to chase the RV wrecking yards. But if you want your solution to be current and easily available then I would do some digging find an old school commercial truck tire guy.

Thanks a lot, I was able to find some STA Super Transport tires locally.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:25 AM   #8

Quote:
I might have some lugs I don't remember if I kept them

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railhead View Post
....I drive by his store everyday on my way to work. I can check on the lug nuts for you...
Thanks a lot gentlemen, I went to Fastenal and the guy was having a rough time matching up the nuts.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arredondo21 View Post
Thanks a lot gentlemen, I went to Fastenal and the guy was having a rough time matching up the nuts.
Fastenal is awesome. But my first choice would have been a truck parts vendor. Your standard auto parts store for the most part are like Walmart. They are only going to carry what they can move immediately. Fastenal operates on the same principle but for construction trades.

When hunting down unusual stuff like your lug nuts I've found old school auto part stores invaluable. If you're lucky there will be someone there who knows where what you are looking for is located on the premises. Otherwise you end up at a stack of parts drawers, first you find that stud that fits your lug nut. Then you take that stud and use it to find the right lug nut. Of course you sometimes need four of something and they only have three. But you have a part number and Amazon is your friend if you auto parts store isn't.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #10

If you are still looking I just changed my wheels to 8 lug so I have original rims and lug nuts. I'm in MD, Not sure where you are, probably expensive to ship. Let me know if you're interested. Ken
Fixerbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #11

Interesting to here Marty Moores phone is disconnected, I've not talked to him in years. He was getting up there in years that last time I saw him. I think there was one other guy working for him years ago.

I'm pretty sure your rims are stock. There is not a lot of weight on the rear. You could weigh it, and possibly switch to 16s. That would reduce the load rating of the rear axle by `400 lbs, (200 per tire), but you may be within that limit. I know of some others who have done that. Toyo had tires that were F rated that fit. People do commonly mix radials on the front and bias ply on the rear on your coach without any issues. The wheel base is long enough that the traditional handling issues of mixing tire types do not apply.

Most of your front end parts are standard Toranodo. Appliances are all standardized as well as most couch sizes and seat mounts.

You should probably join Revcon Forums • Index page. There are also a couple of Yahoo forums to join as well. Unfortunately the best forum was Revcon_Curious but it was killed by a lack of moderation over spam for about a year, the moderator came back, but it permanently lost its luster. Its still worth joining, as you can search back through the history of posts to find technical info.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #12

Just a side note, somehow I missed it, but just did a quick search and discovered Marty Moore passed away November 29th. All of his inventory is tied up in probate. Who knows if any of it will survive.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
Interesting to here Marty Moores phone is disconnected, I've not talked to him in years. He was getting up there in years that last time I saw him. I think there was one other guy working for him years ago.

I'm pretty sure your rims are stock. There is not a lot of weight on the rear. You could weigh it, and possibly switch to 16s. That would reduce the load rating of the rear axle by `400 lbs, (200 per tire), but you may be within that limit. I know of some others who have done that. Toyo had tires that were F rated that fit. People do commonly mix radials on the front and bias ply on the rear on your coach without any issues. The wheel base is long enough that the traditional handling issues of mixing tire types do not apply.

Most of your front end parts are standard Toranodo. Appliances are all standardized as well as most couch sizes and seat mounts.

You should probably join Revcon Forums • Index page. There are also a couple of Yahoo forums to join as well. Unfortunately the best forum was Revcon_Curious but it was killed by a lack of moderation over spam for about a year, the moderator came back, but it permanently lost its luster. Its still worth joining, as you can search back through the history of posts to find technical info.

Thank you for your reply. Luckily I was able to find new tires for all 5. Also, sorry to hear about Marty.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #14

Hi all, we jumped into a 77 Revcon 250 and aiming to change to a standard wheel size, from the 16.5 to a 16 or 17, so we have a wider choice in wheels and better avoid getting ourselves stranded. I've tried joining a couple Revcon forums that appear defunct now, with no answer, so wanted to double check here if anyone has found a stock wheel that works (to fit a 16.5 wheel, 5 lug @ 7.5 inches), that isn't something we'll have to make custom or add an adapter?

For others that are okay on just replacing the tires directly, I found a post about Samson tires appear to be available and fit the wheel measurements for both front and back...

"I had the same issue with my 1972 Revcon 250. I have found the Samson tracker plus R676 comes in both the 9.5 x 16.5 and the 12 x 16.5 rim sizes. They are rated at over 4000 lbs so weight isn't a concern, only downfall is the speed rating is 69mph. These are designed for big rigs in all positions so I found it works well for our application."

Happy Wanderings!
WanderWithMe is offline   Reply With Quote