Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Revcon Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-15-2022, 06:12 PM   #1

1973 Revcon 220

My 1973 Revcon 220 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I will be replacing all the old hoses and belts, and changing fluids. I have notes in an owner's manual for for filters, spark plugs, belts, and fluids. Does anyone have the part numbers for the stock upper and lower radiator hoses? Are they possibly the same as the Toronado hoses? Suggestions are appreciated.

The engine does fire up when the carb is primed, but the fuel pump is leaking, and I need to see if the replacement mechanical pump will draw from the fuel tank. I know I'll need to drop the fuel tank for repair, as it was seeping, and the bottom has already been epoxied.

Pictures will follow!
Fotoryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2022, 09:14 PM   #2

unloading...

My coach arrived about noon, and was unloaded without incident. I hated to pay the transport fee, but I haven't had the time off needed to do the preparation to drive the coach home. The fuel pump needs replacement, and then the tires, and all the clearance/marker lights.

I'm working on replacing the fuel pump, but its difficult to reach the pump, and the rubber fuel lines are being stubborn. I'll be replacing the rubber fuel lines from the frame mounted metal lines to the fuel pump. those are only 6 inches or a foot long, and by detaching the rubber lines from the metal fuel lines, I can pull the pump with the rubber lines attached. The clamps on the metal fuel line are easier to reach than the ones on the pump, so I'll remove the pump, attach new rubber lines to the pump and install it, and then attach the rubber fuel lines to the frame mounted lines.

I had expected to replace all the hoses and belts, and have bought replacements, but although the coach has been sitting for awhile, they all appear in good shape, new enough that I can easily read numbers on the belts, and the hoses still have sharp, readable labels on them. So I'll have spares, although I will need to look at replacing heater hoses . Those hoses are hard!

So I did come up with parts numbers of the radiator hoses:

Lower hose is Gates 20677 other number - 60734
Upper hose is gates 20598 other number - 60700
These are not Toronado parts, but seem to be GM truck hoses.

Has anyone replaced the windshield wiper arms with a more modern arm. I just ordered a couple of Trico wiper blades to replace the badly decayed baldes that are on the coach. I'll be looking for a more modern wiper arm which can take a more commonly available wiper blade.

Does anyone have an unused 16.5 inch wheel they're willing to part with? My coach doesn't have a spare, so I'm looking for a good wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0358.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	365710  
Old 05-17-2022, 08:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoryder View Post
Has anyone replaced the windshield wiper arms with a more modern arm. I just ordered a couple of Trico wiper blades to replace the badly decayed baldes that are on the coach. I'll be looking for a more modern wiper arm which can take a more commonly available wiper blade.
I'll be interested if you find anything out on this. My slant-nose has some Abco replacement wipers, but they are still somehow using the stock through-bolt mounting style. It would be nice to figure out how to convert the arm to use the more modern snap-on mounts. I haven't looked much into it yet.
sploke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:00 PM   #4

I'm not too concerned about the wiper arm attachment, I'm trying to locate an arm that can take a j-hook wiper blade instead of the Trico style center bolt wiper blade. I have to order those blades, instead of being able to pick up a j-hook blade at any parts store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sploke View Post
I'll be interested if you find anything out on this. My slant-nose has some Abco replacement wipers, but they are still somehow using the stock through-bolt mounting style. It would be nice to figure out how to convert the arm to use the more modern snap-on mounts. I haven't looked much into it yet.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:55 PM   #5

More Questions

Does any body any have a part number for the original sliding window pulls/latches for the driver and passenger side windows? Neither of my front windows has the pull/latch. If no original parts, any replacement part?

I'm also searching for any documentation for the 220 model coaches. Much of the information for the 250 model coaches apply, but I'm finding more and more differences, such as:
1. Batteries - Chassis battery is below and behind the driver seat, but there is space for 2 more batteries below and behind the passenger seat, to the right of the engine. There's no external slide for batteries on my 220 coach. There are also two battery disconnect switches below the floor, between the to sets of front batteries.

2. Spare tire - The spare tire is carried below the coach, under the black and gray water tanks, not in a rear compartment. There is a rear storage compartment, too small for a spare tire, containing the shore power cord and the electrical plug for the Onan generator, in the rear left corner. There's also space for possibly 2 more batteries in the rear storage compartment. I'm not sure how much of this is original, as my coach still has a functional solar panel that's lighting a charge indicator, although no batteries are connected to it.

My current projects are to get the wiper arm off, and take it to a truck supply house, and see if they can match it to an arm that will take a J-hook wiper blade and not the Trico center saddle mount blades. I'm still trying the get the hoses off the fuel pump to replace that, and see if I can uncover any more issues to get this coach on the road. I'll definitely need to see if the engine A/C holds freon. It' old enough to still have the old R-12 freon.

I just got MaxxFan, so I need to get that installed, to get some air movement inside the coach. I also found the voltage converter works when i connect to shore power. I only have the chassis battery holding a charge, the one house battery that came with the coach is only showing millivolts when I check with the VOM.

I think it's going to be a long hot summer in west Texas. It's already pushing 110 degrees, and that's several weeks earlier than normal for that level of heat.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:51 PM   #6

Expand your User CP when you have a chance. Your new Revcon has a 455 Olds?
Replace ALL the rubber fuel lines, ethanol laced gas wreaks havoc on old rubber & that could be catastrophic. If you need to replace steel, cupro nickel is the way to go.

Here's a link to an informative post I did from Oct 2019 you will find helpful. https://bityl.co/CHvO If you have additional questions, let us know.

If you have the 454 instead of the 455 motor, you can convert the v-belts to serpentine. THere's a lot of info online about doing that.
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoryder View Post
Does any body any have a part number for the original sliding window pulls/latches for the driver and passenger side windows? Neither of my front windows has the pull/latch. If no original parts, any replacement part?

Do yours look like this? My slant nose is missing about 4 of them, I've called and emailed around to various window suppliers and RV salvage yards, and have had.zero success so far in finding matching replacements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220320_165230345.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	366041   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220320_165233759.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	366042  

Old 05-20-2022, 10:25 PM   #8

That's probably a workable latch. Let me know if you find a source. I may have to pull the windows out of the frame to clean the channels, and replace the felt in the channels.
Old 05-30-2022, 09:41 PM   #9

Window Latches

I wonder if those latches aren't just two pieces of different aluminum channel with a spring and some other pieces to hold then together. I'll have to look at that further.
Old 05-30-2022, 09:56 PM   #10

Aluminum underbelly.

I was crawling under my 220 model today, and found that the aluminum underbelly on my coach ends before the gas tank of my coach. This leave the last 1/3 to 1/2 of the belly uninsulated, including the grey and black holding tanks.

Can any other flatnose owners let me know it that is the same on your coaches? It sure seems to be unusual to leave that much of the coach belly uninsulated.

I know mine has been hacked on at least a bit, because one of the cross members has an ugly notch cut out of it. My first steps will be to get it roadworthy, and then try to fix the interior.

Thanks for your replies
Old 06-05-2022, 10:11 PM   #11

Mechanical fuel pump

I've been struggling to replace the leaky mechanical fuel pump on my coach. The pump started leaking when I was preparing to move the coach. I finally got the coach transported to my home, and just removed the mechanical fuel pump. I still have to put a pump block-off plate on the engine tomorrow and rig up a temporary mount for the electric fuel pump that will replace the mechanical one.

I talked to an old mechanic about how best to remove the bolts on the mechanical pump, and he immediately suggested switching to an electric pump because of the difficult access. After spending several hours struggling to remove the old pump, I have to agree with him. I would hate to try to install a new mechanical pump. I removed the lower radiator hose to improve access, and that my not be necessary, but it helped. The lower bolt came out easily, but access to the top mount is extremely limited. I couldn't get a socket onto the nut, but I finally got a ratcheting wrench on the nut. Even than, I could only get the wrench to ratchet 2 or 3 teeth at at time because a brace for the A/C compressor was in the way.

If anyone is still running a mechanical fuel pump on the flatnose with the Olds 455 engine, I'd strongly suggest trying to swap the mechanical pump for an electrical pump as a scheduled preventive maintenance item, rather than waiting for it to fail. I had to order the fuel pump block-off plate from E-Bay, and that took more than 10 days to arrive, and the difficulty of access to the pump adds to the stress of changing the pump in the middle of a trip. Mechanical fuel pumps for the 455 engine are still widely available, but my understanding is that the mechanical pump must be bypassed if you switch to a fuel injection system, as I intend to do in the future.

Good luck!
Old 07-13-2022, 09:12 PM   #12

Wiper Arms

I've been trying to locate windshield wiper arms, to replace the existing wiper arms. Mine are in decent shape, but I'd like to replace to original saddle mount wiper blade with a more standard J-hook wiper blade.

I visited several truck parts houses today, but none had even a replacement for the original wiper arms. I did more research on the internet when i got home, and I found a few part numbers for windshield wiper arms. Trico 74-103 and Dyna 201561, appear to be the original equipment style wiper arms for the flatnose Revcons, with a 20 inch wiper arm using the saddle mount wiper blades. current pricing for these arms seems to be $30 to $45 each. I don't know what wiper arms the slantnose Revcons use.

The key information to search for the flatnose wiper arms is:
ISO drive spline, radial arm, 20" in length

I'm going to contact AMEquipment.com tomorrow to confirm that can make up custom wiper arms that will have a J-hook attachment instead of the saddle mount. Their website says there is a 2 week lead time to make up these wiper arms. These arms are about $60 each so I want to confirm the information before I order them.
Old 07-14-2022, 06:52 AM   #13

Interesting...bummer you couldn't find an off-the-shelf replacement. I'm still trying to find the wide-size inserts just to replace the rubber in my wipers....although I haven't tried too hard, just checking around when I'm in parts stores for other stuff.
Old 07-14-2022, 07:08 AM   #14

I'd much rather replace the whole wiper blade than play with refills. I have memories of cutting my finger tips every time I had to do wiper refills.