Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Revcon Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:41 PM   #15

Black tank Problem

Amazing work and way to combat a big problem! Bathroom looks new. Did you consider replace toilet system with a Natures Head type composting system?
Buck_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2022, 07:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Jones View Post
Amazing work and way to combat a big problem! Bathroom looks new. Did you consider replace toilet system with a Natures Head type composting system?
Thanks...no, I didn't look at other toilet options, just because the coach came with a brand new in the box toilet that hadn't been installed, so I had just planning on installing that "when I get around to it". Well, I got around to it a lot sooner than I anticipated, haha.

Good news, I got the repaired black tank and rebuilt valves installed yesterday, filled up both gray and black, no leakage from the tanks or the valves! Great success!

Bad news is that the closet flange I got was not the right size...it was too tall so it wouldn't sit flush on the floor. So, ordered a new one, should be here tomorrow and I can finally get the new toilet installed and get the rest of the bathroom back together.
sploke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:29 AM   #17

More problems...the second floor flange I got was too short and wouldn't reach the threads on the tank. I decided to try and reuse the original flange, even though it was pretty warped. I heated it with a heat gun and clamped it down to a flat table and let it cool, which seemed to get it pretty close to flat.

So, I was able to get the toilet and vent plumbing back together and get the toilet installed last night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220520_032658403.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	366045   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220520_032705930.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	366046  

Old 05-21-2022, 08:41 PM   #18

Toilet

I admired your diligence! I still need a tow up the mountain to my property.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:33 PM   #19

Tonight, my wife was working on getting the sheer curtains back up on the windows and measuring to sew new blackout curtains for all the windows. While she did that I decided to take a look at the fluorescent light over the dinette, which didn't work. I pretty quickly confirmed that the switch was getting power and the ballast had burned out. The nice thing about the "univolt" system is that the lights all run on 12VDC, so switching that over to LED was a snap. I gutted the ballast and endcaps out of the fixture and put up three strips of LED tape light. Just needed to solder on little pigtails between the strands to hook them all up. They're definitely a warmer light than the fluoros are, but I like it. The rest of the overhead fluoros still work, but I'll probably give them the same treatment as time allows.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220524_025232103.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	366403   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220524_025907363.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	366404  

Name:	PXL_20220524_031318721.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	366405   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220524_032331363.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	366406  

Old 06-07-2022, 08:06 AM   #20

We had a busy Revcon weekend here! I got her all washed up, then took her out to TSC to get the propane tank filled. I got about a mile down the road when the water temp started skyrocketing. Somehow the lower radiator hose popped out and dumped all the coolant. Called my wife, who came to my rescue and we got it filled back up and home without further incident.

Attempt number two got me all the way to tractor supply, and they hooked up the hose but for some reason the tank wouldn't fill. Looks like there's some problem with the fill valve on the tank. So, back home I went, got it back up on the ramps, and dropped the propane tank last night. I'm still trying to figure out if there's a way to R&R the existing tank, or if I'm going to have to spring for a new replacement. The original tank has some custom brackets welded on, so replacing with new is going to be an exercise in fabrication since the mounting points definitely won't match up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220604_194431422.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	607.7 KB
ID:	367634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3583.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	487.9 KB
ID:	367635  

Name:	PXL_20220607_004242900.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	559.8 KB
ID:	367636   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220607_020715865.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	497.4 KB
ID:	367637  

Old 06-20-2022, 01:00 PM   #21

Got some new seats installed this weekend. I didn't like the original seats, they were just flat and not supportive and I didn't think they'd be good for long driving days. I found a good deal on some VW GTI seats locally and picked them up, and fabbed up some brackets to mount them to the existing bases. The bases already had the manual swivel, and the new seats have manual slide but power recline. I ran some power to the bases and everything works well. I think these will work out much better than the old, broken down chairs. I just need to attach some armrests and I'll be in good business.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220619_204238040.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	368821   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220619_204205433.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	387.3 KB
ID:	368822  

Old 07-07-2022, 11:20 AM   #22

Trip recap...3304 miles, $2,765.20 in fuel, avg 6.1mpg. Drove through CT, NY, PA*, OH, IN*, IL, WI*, MN, SD**, WY, UT*, AZ*, CA from 6/25 through 7/6 (*overnight, **two overnight stops in one state) . Stayed one extra night in SD (Rapid City) and one extra night in UT (Hurricane).

Had a few minor issues with the RV to contend with. The front torsion bars were super saggy, even after adjusting them to the highest limit on the screws the front end is still 1-2" low. Once I got it up, I quickly realized the front shocks are completely blown out. New torsion bar adjusters and all new shocks to be installed.

The torque converter in the transmission has some serious shudder issues that were intermittently addressed with transmission fluid additives, but those only lasted a few hundred miles at best. Likely going to pull the trans and replace the TC.

The wheel bearing caps on the foremost rear axle both blew out the orings and puked the oil bath gear lube. Made up some new gaskets and with some RTV, that was a watch item but not a problem. New caps for all four rear hubs to be procured.

Had some issues with the rear drum brakes going out of adjustment and dragging the shoes in the drums. I don't know if it was heat related or what, but I've heard from other owners that this is a finicky item. I'll probably upgrade both rear axles to disc brakes.

Generator had one problem getting heat soaked and shutting down after running in a parking lot in Wall, SD for 2 hrs in 100 Fs of heat. Had to leave it off for an hour or so of driving and it started up after everything cooled down. I'll probably relocate the ignition coil from the top of the engine to the front side where there's more air flow to fix that issue.

Only had one major emergency stop....total loss of oil pressure when coming off the highway in Rapid City, SD. Got it into a parking lot and found an oil pressure sensor had cracked and puked out almost all my oil. I pulled the sensor, ran about 3/4 mile to a repair shop, asked them if they had a pipe plug with matching threads. They didn't, but the supercool dude found an airline fitting with matching threads, welded the end closed and gave it to me to get me back on the road. Got that installed while the wife entertained the kids and dogs in the shade in a target parking lot. We were back on the road inside an hour. Eventually I'll replace that sensor.

All in all, some frustrating stuff to deal with along the way, but no real major showstoppers, and we made it across the country with bodies and sanity intact. We hit Mount Rushmore and both north and south rim Grand Canyon, and did some local hiking in UT. I missed out on a lot of stuff I really wanted to do (mostly Zion and Bryce Canyon) but I think it would have been worse to squeeze it in for a half day and basically do nothing. It just showed me that I really need to plan a dedicated trip out here for some of that stuff when the kids are a few years older to tolerate hiking at least a few miles.

Anyway, now to relax/work remotely for 6 weeks and then run it all back.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:58 AM   #23

Sounds about like a typical trip. My bragging rights were in the 16 years I had the Revcon, I broke down many times, but never stranded. Everything was fixable on the road. I could always limp to a location where I could get what I needed. Never really interrupted a trip either. In many ways, that's pretty good for a 30+ year old vehicle that doesn't get driven every day.
Old 07-08-2022, 08:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
Sounds about like a typical trip. My bragging rights were in the 16 years I had the Revcon, I broke down many times, but never stranded. Everything was fixable on the road. I could always limp to a location where I could get what I needed. Never really interrupted a trip either. In many ways, that's pretty good for a 30+ year old vehicle that doesn't get driven every day.
Yeah, agreed...Some of it was frustrating, but none of it was particularly surprising, especially since we never had time for a shakedown trip locally after purchase...this was literally the first time we've left home, fully loaded, with the RV so I fully expected somethings to come up.

Do you have any insight on where to source shocks for this thing? I have the Bilstein part numbers, but can't find them in stock anywhere and am failing to cross reference the Bilstein numbers to Konis or anything else.
Old 07-08-2022, 12:06 PM   #25

I had to give up on my Revcon,as it was going to be too time consuming! Fortunately it has ended up with a collector who plans to restore it correctly!
Old 07-08-2022, 12:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Jones View Post
I had to give up on my Revcon,as it was going to be too time consuming! Fortunately it has ended up with a collector who plans to restore it correctly!
Aw, bummer! Better to figure that out early on though, before you're in over your head.
Old 07-08-2022, 12:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sploke View Post
Yeah, agreed...Some of it was frustrating, but none of it was particularly surprising, especially since we never had time for a shakedown trip locally after purchase...this was literally the first time we've left home, fully loaded, with the RV so I fully expected somethings to come up.

Do you have any insight on where to source shocks for this thing? I have the Bilstein part numbers, but can't find them in stock anywhere and am failing to cross reference the Bilstein numbers to Konis or anything else.
As a follow-up on the shocks, I ended up calling shockwarehouse.com, they were recommended to me by my father in law after they helped him out with the shocks for his Prevost.

The guy I talked to, John, was a huge help, and although several iterations of the Revcon shocks have all been discontinued, he found some he was pretty confident would work.

I'm using Bilstein 24-234498 for the front and 24-177702 for the rears. It sounds like I'll have to get some sleeves purchased or made for the bolts to fit the shock bushings appropriately, but that's not a problem as long as everything else works. I'll know in a few days when they arrive.
Old 07-08-2022, 04:59 PM   #28

Be careful how the lower bolt mounts. There is some angle twist going on. If it brakes the end of the shock, Bilstien will not warranty it. Also the lower bolts tended to brake over time. I welded a larger bolt on mine. Second issue is to put a travel limit strap on it. You don't want the shock to be the device to limit the extension. Secondly when you figure out what full extension is, put it in neutral and spin the front wheel. Make it spins without bopping up and down from the U-joint or the CV joint. Otherwise you take a good chance on braking it. Revcon did not limit the travel as much as they should have, so this was known to put stress on the U-joints.

For anyone else reading, QA1 was also a good shock option. You could also put Koni's on it. I put Koni FSD on mine, but they no longer make that size and load rating. But you can still get the standard Koni. Buy the model used for Country Coach. Country coach used 4 shocks, two on each side. So for our coaches, a single shock each side worked out perfect.