Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Revcon Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:17 PM   #1

Power steering, Revcon 250 Flatnose '75

Does anyone know where the power steering reservoir is? Fired mine up for the year, now power steering. There is a puddle on the ground way over on the drivers side.

Bill in MN
BillG-MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #2

Do you have the Olds 455 motor with FWD?

I'm guessing that it will be in a similar location as the 1975 GMC MH, up front, alongside and slightly below the alternator I think. Its been awhile since I've been around one of the GM's and never seen under the doghouse of a Revcon.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:33 PM   #3

Yes, it is the Toronado engine and drive train. Access is through the front, and my fat hands don't fit a lot of places in there.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:42 AM   #4

OK, I'm stumped. I can't find the power steering reservoir.

Also, I found the source of the fluid puddle by the front drivers side tire... there is a rubber tube hose clamped to a steel tube going to a tiny heat exchanger located next to the radiator, and the leak is from the connection point. Am I right that the heat exchanger is a transmission cooler?

Bill in MN
Old 06-14-2019, 02:30 PM   #5

Again not familiar with Revcon but...

Do you have a Hydroboost brake setup?

If the cooler your seeing is small and brick sized, chances are I would think it would be an add-on PS cooler. A tranny cooler might be more patio brick or heater core sized.

I had a very aftermarket homemade tranny cooler (AC condenser wrapped w/chicken wire mounted under the floorboard pass. side) on a 76' Dodge MH.

Also, PS system I think is going to run at a higher PSI (300?) versus a transmission (30?). I would think that if the lines your seeing are fuel line sized, it would be for the transmission. That's how mine was setup.

Somebody here with a Revcon did a post w/pics last year. Brauzac I think was the poster. His was a 72' 250. Some images on Google.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:30 PM   #6

Thanks, MinntoMich! Maybe that is it, a PS cooler. Didn't know there was such a thing. It would make sense that the leak would be there. I checked tranny fluid level, and it was fine, and didn't expect that with a leak.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:34 AM   #7

BillG-MN,
Both Advance Auto & NAPA list a 75' Olds Toronado radiator with cooler lines clearly visible. If you can see your tranny cooler lines going to the radiator, I would bet your right.

Lots of fluid in a TH425, 5 qts. alone just dropping the pan. Almost 11 w/torque converter. Small puddle leak might take awhile to show up on a dipstick.

Good luck.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:13 AM   #8

While I can't get underneath the Revcon too far, I was able to trace the steel part of the tube. It loops across ahead of the AC condenser coil and back. Doesn't connect to anything. Apparently, if this is the power steering line, the steel tube IS the fluid cooler.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #9

Can you open the doghouse? Normally the reservoir is above the pump. There would be a hose that connects to the pump itself. This is typical of a hydroboost system. The hose between the pump and the reservoir maybe leaking.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:22 PM   #10

@Daveinet, I did find the cap. It is difficult to see because there is a brace right over it. I can reach it from inside with my left arm, but might need some help getting the cover off. Can't quite get the torque with my left hand any more. I did spot the leak, in the plastic tube where it connects to the steel tube, which I think acts as a fluid cooler.

Tags
power, steering