Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-31-2021, 05:17 PM   #1

Advice for Alaska in 2022

Well right now there seems to be about 6 RV going to Alaska in 2022, we may be adding 2-3 more with us by the time we depart north. We will be the largest unit at 45 foot, 21000 pounds triaxle toy hauler towing with a Ram 3500. The other couples are smaller down to a 32 footer. Any pieces of advice concerning route, cross over point, rules sights to visit or not to go. Some of those with us have fuel concerns, we have 55 gal Titan midship tank that we removed the 36 gal and installed the 55 in its place. We also have 2 30 gal tanks on the Road Warrior for the toys, and generator. The good thing is the toy tank can be pumped into the generator tank to extend the amount there.

Others have concerns over reservations and want to make reservations for every stop. I have seen people do it both ways with nightly reservations and just some nights, which would benefit a larger group as us? We may decide to break up once we get there for a couple of days to cover different areas if we need to because of our size, and travel a day or two behind each other if needed.
I have already ordered and received the Milepost. So just starting to look at cross over and routes available for all of us.

Any advice/suggestions/dos/don'ts will help. May decide to leave the golf cart behind to be able to carry extra tires/parts for everybody if needed.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2021, 08:43 PM   #2

From Ohio, get to Sweetwater, MT and cross the border. Head directly to the Alaska Highway, and directly to Alaska. I say this as The current Canadian policy is direct travel only, and I doubt it is going to change anytime soon.

Fuel stops are a function of range with load. Ft Nelson is mandatory fill. Toad River may warrant taking on fuel, but the price is High. Contact Creek has been reliable as a source and generally cheaper then any other place before Alaska.

Reservations will not be needed anywhere, except Denali and Seward on July 4. If travelling as a group, making a reservation for the group a day or three ahead would be good. The only place I would be concerned with is Toad River, but if full you can boondock in the parking lot.

Our usual stops are Hinton, AB, Ft St John (Charley Lake) Rotary campground at the north end of town by the lake, Toad River, BC, Teslin, YT, Tok, AK. Most travelers view this as too far, but we find it doable, and consistent with the Canadian requirement to just go.

When you get to Alaska, check the weather at Valdez. If it is nice for a few days, go there first. If not, Head for Fairbanks. Alaska travel is basically a circle.

Leave the golf cart home. A Side by Side may work in a few places.

6 RVs. The large groups are in the range of 30.

Have fun and enjoy the trip.
Tee Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:05 PM   #3

First, you don't need a golf cart! RV parks aren't like you may experience in the lower 48. You'll mainly have a gravel parking lot. Also, if you're out tooling around in a cart you won't be able to outdrive a grizzly!

Secondly, don't worry about fuel stations. Millions have driven it with all size RVs and trucks and they find fuel. However, it's wise to run on the top half of the tank and get it when you see it. It's not a drive to think you're going to compare prices at the next station. Fuel will be more costly in Canada so many travel across the U.S. as far as they choose before crossing. All the lower Canadian major highways are good for RVs but know that it won't all be flat driving.

This is not a fast-driving trip or you'll get vehicle damage. Space yourself back far enough from other drivers. On gravel construction areas quite often we pulled to the side of the road as far as we could and stopped completely, if able, so that the oncoming vehicles could pass. The big hauling trucks would typically drive fast and throw rocks. We didn't have any damage to either our motorhome or our Jeep but we saw others who did.

Google for customs requirements as you get closer as things always change as to what you can bring across the border. Also do a Google for a list of the border crossings. They're not all open 24 hr.

You don't have a choice of what road to take once you get on the Alaskan Highway. Many return on the Cassier especially if you're returning toward the end of summer. Then you can, hopefully, catch the grizzlies feeding at Hyder - an awesome and fun experience.

Don't wear yourself out siteseeing in the lower 48 before crossing the border. Save it for the end and see how much energy and time you'll have left. It's a long drive to Alaska and you'll want to do some siteseeing in Canada and the Yukon, also. Don't rush it. You can always do the lower 48 another time but how many times will you go to Alaska?

Personally, I would find it difficult to travel as a group. Not everyone will like to do the same things and it would be difficult to keep together.

Get Mike and Terri Church's book, 'Alaskan Camping' which includes Canada, also. They lived in Fairbanks and traveled south every year so they know their parks and good boondocking spots.

Speaking of which... there are some beautiful places to pull over for a night and some are big enough for a group.... a lot easier than a RV park.

For our all summer trip we only made two reservations and those were made only a few weeks prior when we could better judge when we'd be there. One was the July 4 weekend and the other was for 5 nights in Denali at Teklanika campground - the farthest you can take the RV. As it turned out we were early so on a whim we boondocked nearby outside of Denali and drove in early morning. We easily secured an additional 5 nights in Denali's front campground - Riley Creek. We were in Denali 10 nights and saw 'The' mountain 7 of 10 sunny days. Some go for a day or so and never see the mountain. Don't bog yourself down with reservations. We were detained a couple days because a wildfire was getting too close to the road, and also because of a road washout and another because of rain/snow/sleet.

There are many good posts on this forum. Read through them for more ideas. Hope it's a 'Go' for you. It's a wonderful trip. Don't rush it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:49 AM   #4

Watching. Planning on 2022, or 23. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 02-01-2021, 09:28 AM   #5

Thanks for the information. Wife seen were I said "may leave golf cart home", well....... Besides the golf cart is gas and has a 4" lift on it, but still have a year to decide.

But if everybody would like me to carry an extra spare for them, I would need leave it behind.

Now since I posted this one couple in a class "C" said he would leave his toad behind and drag a small trailer, our 8x12, with the extra spares, tools, floor jack, and if needed a small air compressor in it.

Our tires will be 5 years old at that time, so I would be replacing all on our
tri-axle.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:41 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I assume you all will have current passports.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:47 AM   #7

Watching
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I assume you all will have current passports.
Yes, they will be 3 years old by then. Before I never needed a passport to go to different countries. I have been to over 20 countries and my travel agent didn't require passports.

He just said "join the Navy and see the world!"
Brother he wasn't kidding!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2021, 10:09 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
Yes, they will be 3 years old by then. Before I never needed a passport to go to different countries. I have been to over 20 countries and my travel agent didn't require passports.

He just said "join the Navy and see the world!"
Brother he wasn't kidding!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha...In 1963 I joined the Navy to see the world....in four years I saw Illinois and Maryland. Period.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Ha...In 1963 I joined the Navy to see the world....in four years I saw Illinois and Maryland. Period.
I was stationed in Holy Lock, Scotland for a year. Did 2 Med cruises, 3 Caribbean cruises. While in Scotland traveled to Europe a couple of times. Back then just needed ID and a copy of leave papers to go around.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:26 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We traveled to Alaska solo in 2009, it was a spur of the moment decision, we did as much research as we could the month before we left. We did not make reservation at any location more the 3-4 days in advance but ended up boon docking ~50% of the time. Stayed in quite a few state campground. Never had a problem finding a place to stay on way or another.

We did get a copy of the Milepost but were surprised at the number of fuel stations shut down, especially in remote areas. This was during the "Great Recession" with fuel prices going up fast, so a lot of small mom & pops couldn't make it work and shut down. Luckily we have a 128 gallon tank and once we knew we couldn't rely on fueling in remote areas we never let it get below 50%. Not a problem in larger cities since there was always a place to get fuel. Pricing varied a lot, at the time Gasbuddy didn't cover Canada but it does now. I found a weekly posting fuel prices and scheduled fueling based on this, save a bunch of money by planning ahead.

Boarder crossings weren't that bad, we stressed out for the first one but in the end pretty mundane. If you go through a remote one it may not be as busy as in a large city. We were a couple traveling in a nice motorhome so we probably didn't raise any flags. At the first crossing there was a small truck in front of us and the driver must have raised some flags because they had him get out, spread eagle against the truck, while they had a dog check the vehicle. We thought they would want to check us but I had spent about 20 minutes talking the crossing agents in their office before we tried to cross, they just opened the door and waved us through.

If you are traveling in a large group it will be harder to get reservations as trying to find that many vacancies may be a problem. You might have to split up.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:24 PM   #12

In 2013 my brother drove out from Kentucky to Seattle in his 40' Fleetwood Revolution DP and joined me with my 35' Georgie Boy gasser on our Alaska Adventure that took us to Fairbanks, Anchorage, and Seward. Here are some additional thoughts and suggestion that you might find helpful:

1. DON'T TAKE A HANDGUN THROUGH CANADA!
2. We found that most of the RV parks/campgrounds in Alaska are somewhat "vintage". Don't expect to get 50 Amp, sewer, and water everywhere. In some cases, we only had 15 Amp service. Many of the locations cannot accommodate large coaches (40-45 footers).
3. Be prepared to pay more for gas and diesel. Don't run your tank below 1/2 and gamble on finding a fuel station "further down the road." AT one fuel stop, we paid $7.00 a gallon and was glad to do it!
4. Take your time and enjoy the view. Always stop for live animals on the road: bears, sheep, caribou, moose, etc., and don't feed the animals!!!!!
5. Cell phone service will be sketchy in many places along the way.
6. The roads are generally OK, but some stretches are terrible. Watch out for potholes, frost heaves and shifts in the asphalt. Some road repairs usually consists of spreading gravel up to 25 miles.
7. Don't plan on driving 8+ hours a day and covering 400+ miles in Yukon Territory and Alaska: they don't have Interstate Highways!
8. A good time to travel is June through August.
9. Mosquitos can be a nuisance. Take a repellent that contains a high percentage of Deet.

GO FOR IT - I'm sure others will chime in to share their experience and suggestions.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:37 PM   #13

Also starting to plan for 22 trip to Alaska, went in 19 and want to go again. 2 couples, both with 5th wheels, problem is both wives have 50 yr hs class reunion July 4. tentatively plan to leave the 6th, would like to stay in Alaska till mid Sept. for chance to see northern lights, not worried about campgrounds open on Alcan so much as we boondocked a lot first trip plan more 2nd time. more worried about road conditions and diesel avalability. hoping that Canada can get vaccine ramped up so borders can open. Any thoughts?
Tightwadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:31 AM   #14
GBB

Borders are still closed for non-essential travel. Right now only way they let you thru is if you are an Alaska resident. Hopefully this will change this summer.
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, alaska