Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:17 AM   #1

Alaska

Hi everyone,

We will be touring Alaska next summer July- August and maybe the first 2 weeks of September in our 43' DP with 2 dogs and toad. We plan on moving around some; 2-3 weeks at a location and move, so that we can see as much of it as we can and still have some time for relaxation.

We both love to fish and plan to do a lot of that!

We'd like to hear from anyone who has experience doing this type of extended trip in Alaska for any tips or tricks they'd like to pass along.

Also interested in what your ballpark expenses looked like per month, if you have that information.

Thanks in advance! Paul
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2018, 06:01 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We went to AK in 09 after I got laid off, thought what the heck.

We were gone 3.5 months. Averaged ~$4k/month but half of this was for fuel, we drove almost 15K miles, leaving from TN but returned through Oregon, Wash, Calif.

AK has lots of state parks that are very reasonable. We did not eat out alot. Had 4 small dogs.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:22 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Attachment 213384Attachment 213381We went up in 2016 (110 days). Fuel going thru Canada averaged $1.09 to a peak high of $1.39 a liter. (Fort Nelson). This summer from following a few Youtube channels who are in Alaska now, gas is averaging $1.40 - $1.50. But right now we US citizens are getting a $1.30 US to the CA. Dollar. But with all the tariffs, that could de-value the US dollar come next summer. Diesel is "usually" cheaper than reg. gas thru-out Canada and AK.

I would suggest you get a non-resident season fishing license. ($140)

As far as camp ground fees, you can budget from $0 ( boon-docking, WalMart....a few free state parks) to dry camping (State Parks, Provincial Parks, BLM.s and US Forest Service) $12 to $28 a night. OR, private campgrounds from $30 to $70 a night.

We plan to also go back next summer....Leaving the Mid-west the week before Memorial Day, and returning early Sept.

You will not want to fly thru Canada.....I loved the Yukon...and Northern BC. (Laird Hot Springs, Dawson City, the TOW, Banff, Ice Fields Parkway.

Advanced reservation will need to be made if you plan to camp inside Denali (Tek campground) Maybe two of three days out for Dawson City or Chicken.

My son's first silver camping on the Valdez shore (Allison Point)

Liard Hot Springs

Worthington Glacier (Valdez)

Ice Fields Parkway (Banff-Jasper Alberta Canada)

Here is a time line gallery of our Alaska trip 2016 Alaska Gallery
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5392.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	213380   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2750.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	213382  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5477.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	213383   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2276(1).JPG
Views:	81
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	213386  

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #4

You may want to look at the travel / trip reports forum as most will be there. You can also use the search box at the top and get all the threads about the Alaskan voyage.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:09 PM   #5

Some of your questions might be answered in this recent thread in the 'Locations' area:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/plann...ns-399489.html

As for cost, that's an individual thing. Many spend the summer very reasonably and then there are many who spend a lot. It depends on whether you do a lot... or all of it boondocking or if you will use RV parks. Restaurants are expensive for a good meal... especially fish, surprisingly. Groceries in bigger towns are somewhat comparable to the lower 48... perhaps higher on fresh veggies/fruits. Entertainment depends on how much of it you do. Fishing can be expensive especially if you do charters or hire a guide. Many folks calculate the total cost of the trip from day one of leaving their home in the lower 48. Lastly, fuel will be your major cost.

Three things you can purchase online are Mike & Terri Church's book 'Alaskan Camping' which includes Canada, Yukon and some of the lower 48 border states near border crossings. It also includes RV park, public campgrounds and awesome boondocking areas. Many other boondocking areas will easily be found as you travel. That's what we used.

Also purchase the Milepost which is great for history and maps but not good for camping. Also consider the TourSaver 2/1 Coupon Book. One glacier day trip tour will pay for the book. That's all you'll need for the trip.

Reservations: We only made two during the four months - July 4 weekend and 5 nights in Denalis' Teklanika campground. We only made those a couple weeks prior when we could better judge when we'd be in the areas.

You have a large fuel tank but it's still best to drive on the top one-half of the tank. This is no place to try to compare prices. Get it when you see it.

Get a credit card without added foreign transaction fees. Debit cards aren't widely accepted. Neither is American Express. We crossed at Sumas, Washington and spent the first night in Hope BC. There we stocked up on fresh veggies/fruits and meat. We went to the local bank to exchange $300 at a good rate. This was more than enough for the return trip. We wanted Canadian coins because we used the Provincial and Yukon parks a lot and they utilize the 'iron ranger' to drop in the nightly fee. Extra money as we neared Montana on our return .. we bought fuel/restaurant.
Have fun planning your trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #6

Hit YouTube. The Wynns did an Alaska RV video.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Water D View Post
Hit YouTube. The Wynns did an Alaska RV video.
Less Junk, More Journey and Keep your Daydream are there now.
Awesome footage.
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:04 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
We went to AK in 09 after I got laid off, thought what the heck.

We were gone 3.5 months. Averaged ~$4k/month but half of this was for fuel, we drove almost 15K miles, leaving from TN but returned through Oregon, Wash, Calif.

AK has lots of state parks that are very reasonable. We did not eat out alot. Had 4 small dogs.
Are you serious you spent $4000 a month wow I’ve barely broke 1000 when I was there this past year
Bill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:31 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, I keep a daily log for all expenses, also tracked mileage and fuel consumption.

This included attractions which aren't cheap. Boat tour, Denali, Fairbanks paddle boat and others.

I spent over $11K, so it was sligthly less the $4K per month but it is what it is. It would have been more but we didn't pull a toad which restricted our wonderings to anything accessible by RV.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:23 AM   #10

2 months and $10k.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:09 AM   #11

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond! Safe travels to all!-Paul
Old 08-05-2018, 09:02 AM   #12

PandS

I also plan to be in Alaska July to Sept. 2019 and if you like to fish you must get the book
Guide to the Alaska Highway 3rd Edition (your complete Driving Guide) By Ron Dalby.

I have enjoyed this book better than all others book on Alaska.

I will be fishing my way from Alabama to and from Alaska I will be looking to use my Fly rod on some large fish.
Jayco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:04 PM   #13

Alaska ideas

Just back from a 8 week stay in Alaska with several more days travel to and from our home in the Midwest.

The Milepost is a must as well as Mike & Terri Church's book 'Alaskan Camping. So much to see so do not be in a hurry. We only made reservations a few days ahead of time with most the day before or even on the road to another stop. Be prepared to not park on any hard surface unless in a Walmart and there are very few of those up there.

Homer was our favorite place and with it being on the Kenai it is the Mecca for fishing. We did the fly seeing trip to see the Bears fish as well, used Smokey Bay Air and was very pleased with the day trip. Saw probably 25 bears and as close as 10-15' with some of them, but extremely safe. Another trip was on a water taxi to do a hike to see a glacier and was an awesome 6-7 mile mostly flat hike. Stayed on the KOA on the bluff over looking the bay but a lot of parking available on the spit but you will need to make these in advance. Be sure to visit 3 Sisters Bakery for the treat of the trip.

We visited Seward and loved it as well. Lots there to see and do as well. Girdwood has an awesome hike as well and eating at Jack Sprague is a treat but expensive. The dessert was to not be missed even if you have to get it to go.

Taking the ferry from Whittier to Valdez is a treat but expensive and will keep you from back tracking so much. A day trip from Valdez to whale watch is at the top of the list as well.

Another real treat is the Chitina campground. No cell, TV, Internet just you and nature. This is the end of the road as far as RV's are concerned but the 60 mile drive over some gravel roads is a must as well. Then the walk/ride in McCarthy is special.

I could go on forever about the fun places we went. Wasilla, Palmer, Anchorage, Talkeetna, Denali, Fairbanks, Prudhoe Bay, Kaktovik, North Pole, Tok and probably others I have probably missed.

I WAS NOT a fan of the Alaska highway. Our tow took a pretty good beating going up, have an idea what happened but you can search this site for other opinions and decide for yourself. We returned via the Cassier highway and liked it much more. Stay at the Walmart in Whitehorse and park next to the road over looking the Yukon River. As good as any place we stayed. Be sure to do the Skagway side trip and do the boat ride from there to Juneau>>we saw 3 whales on the way back and a great trip to do. Go to Stewart and hike to the Glacier.

Visit Jasper and stay at the Canadian Provincial park. Banff and Lake Louise are a good stop.

If you have an questions please feel free to PM me. Just too much to do to write it all down on this post.

Be prepared to spend a lot of money but it is a long-hard drive to get there so enjoy it this time.
grovenewmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip