RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:42 PM   #29

We leave next month. We will know more then.. I figure we will do one month in Canada, then two in Alaska (USA) then another month back thru Canada. The 3 month look back should be fine. From what I can tell from the Cricket Canada Coverage map we will have reasonable coverage till about 1/2 way to Muncho Lake from fort Nelson. After that it looks pretty empty in the YT till you get into a big town. -Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2019, 10:46 PM   #30

Cricket worked flawlessly in Canada and Alaska! While in Alaska i upgraded to a new plan from them that cost $90 for two phones and gave each 15GB of Hotspot data per month included. No issues with using too much data in Canada on the way up or down either and we have been back 2 months now. Switched back to the 2 phones for $60 plan until we determine we need more.

BTW. Verizon barely worked in Alaska. Cricket which is on ATT had connectivity almost everywhere. I have been very impressed with Cricket and would recommend them to anyone traveling around the US/Canada. They support Mexico too, but I have no experience with them down there.

Old 01-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Although the original post is from 2018, you can not protect your tow vehicle too much. I thought that having a mud flap that was around 3/4 to 1 inch from the ground would stop most rocks coming up to the vehicle, boy was I wrong. I had a front bra and a complete front windshield cover (glad for that), here are 2 pictures from the Al Can Hwy of the rocks that got on my tow vehicle. When we got back, we contacted our insurance company for repairs. All chrome and a complete paint job for the car. just be prepared.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010148.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	273220   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010149.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	273221  

Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #32

From everything I have read mud flaps create a major problem. We put a Protect-A-Tow on and had zero chips or dings.

We did break our sun roof, bird dropped a clam/rock on it and must have hit just right.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:50 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I have no comment on the RV bra but I would highly recommend the Protect A Tow an take off any mud flaps you have on your MH. Mud flaps tend to throw up more rocks and do more damage.
The Protect a Tow did great! Thanks for the advise.
kovalsmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:52 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you for the Protect a Tow advise.
kovalsmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:35 PM   #35

While we were driving up there I installed a net between the back of the RV and the front of the car and also installed a yoga mat on the windshield. But by the time we did that we were in Whitehorse, past the worse part of the 2019 Alcan.

I picked up a rock guard at an Xcapers event this month and will modify it to work on my Blueox.

Sure wish I had that prior to going to Alaska last summer. The front of the DW's car has a lot of rock chips now, and we broke the windshield.. of the car and motorhome.

Thankfully I lowered my windshield deductibles to $100 prior to heading there last summer.

-Bill
Old 01-26-2020, 06:00 PM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Protect a Tow after doing Top of the World Highway, Chicken Alaska, 100 miles of dirt.
Filthy dirty but no rock chips!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WatsonLake-Denali 282.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	273335  
Old 01-26-2020, 10:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 430 View Post
Although the original post is from 2018, you can not protect your tow vehicle too much. I thought that having a mud flap that was around 3/4 to 1 inch from the ground would stop most rocks coming up to the vehicle, boy was I wrong. I had a front bra and a complete front windshield cover (glad for that), here are 2 pictures from the Al Can Hwy of the rocks that got on my tow vehicle. When we got back, we contacted our insurance company for repairs. All chrome and a complete paint job for the car. just be prepared.
We also saw towed cars with this damage. The owners were actually removing the big - across-the-rear flap.

We just had the stiff flaps behind our tires and no rear flap. We had just driven the same road they did and received absolutely no damage to our Jeep and no damage for the whole trip.

Remove that big flap before the trip!

Another thing is driving too fast on gravel.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:17 PM   #38

Alaska trip

Missus and I did the Top Of The World Highway from Dawson City to Chicken, Alaska. Yes it is quite a trip make sure you fuel up in Dawson before taking the ferry across the Yukon River as there is nothing in between. Its a beautiful drive. I have a dodge 3/4 ton pulling a 35' TT and had no issues. Yes it gets sloppy on that road, but just as long as you drive at a sensible speed like about 50 mph(80km/h) you will do fine. There are no places to pull over to enjoy the scenery. Carry extra fuel if need be. Otherwise it is a lovely trip, sure you get muddy on your rig but there is lots of places in Alaska that you can wash your rig or the Yukon. Best time to go is late May or early June. The speed limit i mention is lots of frost heaves on that road. Even if you don't go that way lots of frost heaves on the highway.
You figure you can pick up speed and then bang you hit a frost heave out of nowhere. play it safe with that speed or you will get damage to your rig. I just had the plain old mud flaps on my truck and had no issues to my TT as i took it easy. You learn pretty quick you don't drive like a bat out of hell on that highway with all the frost heaves. Sure it is time in going slower but it saves in repairs on your rig later on.
Enjoy your trip, but a word of caution if your tank says half empty and you should fill it up at the next pump you see or carry extra fuel as fuel stations can be few and far in between. Other than that have fun
ashman155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:50 PM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashman155 View Post
Missus and I did the Top Of The World Highway from Dawson City to Chicken, Alaska. Yes it is quite a trip make sure you fuel up in Dawson before taking the ferry across the Yukon River as there is nothing in between. Its a beautiful drive. I have a dodge 3/4 ton pulling a 35' TT and had no issues. Yes it gets sloppy on that road, but just as long as you drive at a sensible speed like about 50 mph(80km/h) you will do fine. There are no places to pull over to enjoy the scenery. Carry extra fuel if need be. Otherwise it is a lovely trip, sure you get muddy on your rig but there is lots of places in Alaska that you can wash your rig or the Yukon. Best time to go is late May or early June. The speed limit i mention is lots of frost heaves on that road. Even if you don't go that way lots of frost heaves on the highway.
You figure you can pick up speed and then bang you hit a frost heave out of nowhere. play it safe with that speed or you will get damage to your rig. I just had the plain old mud flaps on my truck and had no issues to my TT as i took it easy. You learn pretty quick you don't drive like a bat out of hell on that highway with all the frost heaves. Sure it is time in going slower but it saves in repairs on your rig later on.
Enjoy your trip, but a word of caution if your tank says half empty and you should fill it up at the next pump you see or carry extra fuel as fuel stations can be few and far in between. Other than that have fun

50 MPH??? Most of the Canadian 1/2 I managed to use the cruise control 31 MPH! Once we crossed boarder to US 1/2 it was 20 MPH or less!
Old 02-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #40

We finished our 3 month trip to Alaska the end of October. We pulled a fullsize SUV behind our 36' Class C. I worried about chips and dings and bought some film but never put it on. We do have a mudflap which covers the entire back about 5 feet behind the rear axle and a couple of feet before the rear of the RV. We hit many areas where parts of the roads were completely under reconstruction, including the Top of the World, the Tok Cutoff and the road into Valdez.

After 13,000 miles on the Rv and an extra 2,500 miles on the SUV, we had 2 problems. We chipped the windshield on the RV in a construction area in Wyoming when a rock flew up from the on coming lane. We chipped the windshield in the SUV when driving it on the new Seward Highway. We were not pulling it and the New Seward is very similar to an interstate. A pickup merging in drove on the shoulder in front of us.

I have not had either fixed yet.

If we had the opportunity (read if I could convince my wife) to do it again, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:02 PM   #41

On the Top of the World Highway. Spent about 30 minutes at a high pressure wash in Tok to take off the worst of the mud.

Name:	DSCF6736.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	274313
Old 02-08-2020, 11:09 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Drove the AlCan and the Cassiar twice - in 2017 and 2019. Zero chips in the MH windshield. Towed a Jeep in 2017, and an Equinox in 2019. Used a Blue OX Kargard II both trips. Still using it. No chips on either vehicle while towing, but got a small chip in Jeep windshield driving around the town of Seward. Whenever I saw an 18 wheeler coming towards me, I just slowed down and moved over.

Roadmaster Invisibrake & Blue Ox towbar
mtmsfx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, alaska, alaska trip, canada