Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Are you feeling confident in the numbers you're seeing in Canada? .
Actually yes . Health care is different here in Canada, government runs the hospitals , each individual has a government issued health care number and that's how the cases are tracked by that number .

I have another theory on the seriousness of the pandemic , that will probably get me a nastygram from the moderators .
The Federal & Provincial governments issue the orders , for tax paying business to shut down that result in massive layoffs of tax paying citizens ; to try and control the spread of Covid -19.
Knowing how much the various government levels LOVE collecting our tax dollars, do you think they would be putting all these closures and restrictions in place , if they thought that conducting business as usual ( 2019 normal ) would get us through this mess, without a huge number of tax payers falling victim . The governments want as many of us as possible, in place paying taxes , when we get out into the light at the end of this tunnel .

Moderators ; If this post ( content ) is against the forums rules and you decide to delete it . I understand , I just needed to vent.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2021, 07:44 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Now that Canada is or will probably be closed to US citizens again, we are planning on visiting less frequented Nat Parks. I'm planning weekend stays in Walmart, Cracker Barrel, large sporting stores. But don't tell my wife. I'm thinking millions more will be out traveling in the US too. Weekends will be impossible to find sites.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:28 AM   #17

I'm thinking 2022 is going to be a big year for RV traffic heading to AK.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Lebowski View Post
I'm thinking 2022 is going to be a big year for RV traffic heading to AK.

We; Canadian Snowbirds ; are very hopeful that Oct 2021 will see cross border travel near normal , just have to get this ; proof of vaccination thing ;ironed out.

Canadian Border Services, is dealing with false documents of , negative Covid -19 tests , that travelers presented to cross the border during the current restrictions .
Old 05-31-2021, 07:23 AM   #19

I am sitting on my hands trying to decide about making a reservation for early August near Toronto. We had reservations last summer at the KOA Cookstown in anticipation of attending the Toronto Open/Roger's Cup at the Aviva stadium.

Are campgrounds taking reservations? I've noticed some US campground are changing their cancellation rules due to taking a such a big hit last year.

Edit to add: I think the problem in US Covid cases is more of a problem with how we track care than anyone actually perpetuating lies about the seriousness of the pandemic.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 09:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
I am sitting on my hands trying to decide about making a reservation for early August near Toronto. We had reservations last summer at the KOA Cookstown in anticipation of attending the Toronto Open/Roger's Cup at the Aviva stadium.
With Canada's heavily populated areas being among the hardest hit with Covid infections , and our percentage of the population having received two doses of vaccine being low , the actual event could be postponed or cancelled for this year.
My personal feeling is that ,the opening of the Canada / USA border before September is doubtful. With scheduled vaccine arrivals Sept is the target to have 70%+ of the population fully vaccinated.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:47 PM   #21

My Trip to Alaska Through Canada 2021

As an Alaska resident, I have driven my mortorhome through Canada to Alaska summer of 2020 and 2021. Departed Minnesota on 7/11/21 and arrived Kenai, Alaska on 7/17/21. I would have liked to take my time and enjoy the trip, but Canada gave us 5 days to get through the country. We entered Kingsgate border crossing, went north through the parks (Jasper, Banff) to Dawson Creek and up the highway.

Even though we were fully vaccinated, had passed a recent covid test within 72 hours of arrival at the border, they still gave us a self administered Covid test that we were to complete ASAP. This test was kind of a joke. It was supposed to be virtual with someone watching you via web cam, phone camera etc., but we were internet challenged with poor internet service, so we made an appointment for someone to call us during our trip to walk us through the process. They called and told us how to rub the swab first in our cheek, and then stick it up our nose and collect both saliva and nose secrections. Don't get the order wrong, otherwise it is gross.

Then had to find a place on our route to drop the samples off so they could FEDEX to the lab. Dropped them off at a Shoppers pharmacy in Dawson Creek. Just got the results today, after we are already home. I guess if it was positive and we were still in Canada, then we would have continued our trip, staying away from people, because they wanted us to get out of Canada ASAP.

Arriving Yukon Territory, they are still very much adhereing to Covid protocols.
1. All arrivals mandatory checkpoint.
2. Gave us 24 hours to get out of YT and into AK
3. No stopping at restaurants, government campgrounds, etc. Fuel only.
4. If you have to go inside to pay, sanitize your hands, wear mask, etc.
5. Had to report to Beaver Creek Canadian Border upon leaving Canada.

All in all, very grateful Canada let us transit through their country, but the self-administered Covid test was a waste of time and money (my time, their money).

For more information on current policies for people transiting through Canada to AK, visit this website. https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ictions/border

P.S. I would not try and BS the Canadian Border Services Agency about how you are moving there, or reporting for a job, etc., when really you are taking a summer vacation to AK. They are not dumb.
vipalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:05 PM   #22

Announced today ; Aug 9, 2021 Canada will open border to fully vaccinated Americans ( with proof of second vaccination , 14 days prior to crossing ).

As of this time 3PM PDST July 19, no word on American border opening for Canadians , or what type of " Proof of Vaccination " will be required .

If I can find a link to the info , I'll re-post with it.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:25 AM   #23

Too bad US border closed to Canadians for another month.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by netjam View Post
Too bad US border closed to Canadians for another month.

Word was, the US government was reluctant to open up the border, with Canada , but keep the Mexico border closed , hopefully Aug 21, will provide the easing of restrictions we're waiting for.
Some areas on the border ; here on the west coast, Point Roberts WA, in particular ; have seen their local economies decimated by the extended closer .

EDIT: More info on who can cross into Canada.
No word yet on what will be required for proof of vaccination.

http://www.globalnews.ca/news/804460...on-travellers/
Old 07-21-2021, 02:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Announced today ; Aug 9, 2021 Canada will open border to fully vaccinated Americans ( with proof of second vaccination , 14 days prior to crossing ).

As of this time 3PM PDST July 19, no word on American border opening for Canadians , or what type of " Proof of Vaccination " will be required .

If I can find a link to the info , I'll re-post with it.
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ictions/border Is a drill-down type website to find all information.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:22 PM   #26

Just returned to Alaska from lower 48

I drove our motor home down early in June not really a problem at the border. Clocked about 14000 miles this summer looping the US then back to Alaska. My trip down to Arizona took me 8 days. My wife flew back to Alaska and I drove back. I crossed at Coutts Alberta. They gave me a Covid test at the border and I just left it with them. They gave me 8 days to get to Alaska but also let me know that if I had a problem I could call a number and let them know. The only mechanical problem I had the entire trip was a serpentine belt break in Tok Ak. Took me all of thirty minutes to replace the belt. Millions of Little Rock’s were imbedded into the belt. So far I’ve managed to cross the Canadian border 6 times during the Covid pandemic and haven’t had a problem.
Rwbrown3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:22 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwbrown3 View Post
I drove our motor home down early in June not really a problem at the border. Clocked about 14000 miles this summer looping the US then back to Alaska. My trip down to Arizona took me 8 days. My wife flew back to Alaska and I drove back. I crossed at Coutts Alberta. They gave me a Covid test at the border and I just left it with them. They gave me 8 days to get to Alaska but also let me know that if I had a problem I could call a number and let them know. The only mechanical problem I had the entire trip was a serpentine belt break in Tok Ak. Took me all of thirty minutes to replace the belt. Millions of Little Rock’s were imbedded into the belt. So far I’ve managed to cross the Canadian border 6 times during the Covid pandemic and haven’t had a problem.
You are extremely lucky.
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Newsomes View Post
You are extremely lucky.
I agree, very fortunate, I suppose, to have the time to travel around over the summer.
Rwbrown3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, alaska, canada