Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:45 AM   #1

Alaska RV tour groups

We are looking at a possible Alaska RV trip next year and we’re considering using one of these caravan tour groups. It looks like there are about 4 major players (Fantasy, Alaska Discovery, Adventure Caravan and RV Adventure Treks)

Has anyone had any experiences good or bad with any of these tour groups and from your experience should we consider this?

Appreciate the help, Keith
Kwshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2022, 10:33 AM   #2

Having done these tours several times, my experience has been good. What you want in a tour is access to qualified and competent RV mechanics, as stuff will break at the most inopportune time. The firms come and go over the years, but my next tour will be with these folks: https://www.rvalaskatours.com/
Oregonpharme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:03 PM   #3

We went with Adventure Caravans a few years and I definitely would recommend them.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:54 PM   #4

I've never seen a need for a tour group. Been to Alaska twice, Newfoundland once, never with a tour group.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:11 PM   #5

Well I have never been to Alaska, and I think a tour group would be a great thing to do. I am considering a trip like this (also) in the next few years, and would love to hear others comments.
2017 Winnebago Vista 29ve (Special Edition) Many Mods: Trimark Keyless Entry, Ride Rite Air bags, Roadmaster anti-sway bars, CrossFire dual tire system, TST TPMS, Roadmaster Sterling tow bar. Many little mods.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:41 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We went to Alaska in 2017 with Fantasy Tours. WE had a great time and met some great people. Covid cancelled us in 20 and 21. It is a great trip and you will love it.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:53 AM   #7

TOUR GROUP OR NOT?

We've never been with a group but did have a great AK vacation (and back through CA and the mid-west) for 8,700 miles. We encountered several of the tour groups. If you are not comfortable doing a group "thing" and prefer the company of yourself, partner and a few other friends, this might not be for you. If you don't like looking at maps/GPS and just go with the group, this could be for you.

Our 8,700 mile trip, 115 days, 50 of those days in AK, cost about 50% more than the much shorter tour groups planned itinerary.

Of course YMMV.
Boomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:47 AM   #8

To group or not to group depends much on your comfort level of independence & the ability to take care of the the little things that go wrong.

There is still the perception that going to Alaska is akin to going to the dark side of the moon. People watch far too many documentaries on the building of the Alaska Highway.

It is 100% paved these days. Driving at a speed to suit the road is easy. Yes, there is road construction. Slow down & look for animals. Start by fully prepping yourself. Take spares & tools needed that you might not carry for a weekend trip. We broke a spring hanger wet bolt. No big problem. We had spares & just about everything needed to change it. Borrowed the tool needed from a nearby camper & spent an afternoon changing the broken one out. Huge bill saved.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 09:42 PM   #9

The caravan thing isn't all about being scared of the roads etc., but the caravan company has all reservations, tours and other thing arranged for you. You need to do nothing except travel and enjoy the trip.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:45 AM   #10
laj

Alaska RV tour groups

With a caravan your paying a lot of money to be limited on your trip. Alaska to me is one of the easiest states to take a very relaxed boon docking trip to.

Where not a lot of people get multiple shots at, i would want to be free to set my own schedule, to come, and go as the sights, and interest pulled me.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
With a caravan your paying a lot of money to be limited on your trip. Alaska to me is one of the easiest states to take a very relaxed boon docking trip to.

Where not a lot of people get multiple shots at, i would want to be free to set my own schedule, to come, and go as the sights, and interest pulled me.
I agree. Alaska is a very easy trip and one that you shouldn't do structured to a timeframe. Plan crossing into Canada the 3rd or end of May and leaving Alaska the end of August..... a perfect trip. Get the TourSaver 2/1 coupon book for your tours. Saves a LOT of money. You need to do 'at least' one glacier tour.

The only reservations we made for the whole trip was for the July 4 weekend (Alaskans like to camp, also) and 5 nights in Denali's Teklanika campground. For those we reserved a couple weeks prior as we were traveling to get a better idea of when we'd be in a certain area. For Denali we were a little early so we found a beautiful boondocking spot along the highway and the next morning drove into Denali. We easily secured an additional 5 nights in Denali's Riley Creek campground. 10 nights in the park and we viewed 'the mountain' 7 of 10 days for many hours. We also saw all the big animals found in the park... many more than once. From Teklanika campground we used the TEK Pass for the bus and we could ride it from the campground to wherever we wanted and catch the next bus back to the campground. They run constantly. Sometimes we went out for an hour or two; got off the bus and just started walking along the road.... so quiet with massiveness surrounding us. Awesome. When we were ready we just got the next bus coming along. Ten nights in the park was very rewarding for us.... lots of ranger programs to participate in.

We didn't use any RV parks but instead, found beautiful dry camping spots easily. Plenty of places to fill up and dump. We had no issues with our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 10:55 AM   #12

I have an Ak. tour with Fantasy Tours this July, I carry a Honda Gold Wing on a Hydra-lift, I am thinking I should leave it in Idaho and get it on my way back. Does anyonesee the need to ride a touring bike or use a dingy vehicle on a guided RV tour?
Big al paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 12:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big al paul View Post
I have an Ak. tour with Fantasy Tours this July, I carry a Honda Gold Wing on a Hydra-lift, I am thinking I should leave it in Idaho and get it on my way back. Does anyonesee the need to ride a touring bike or use a dingy vehicle on a guided RV tour?
I recommend some kind of vehicle to get around for shopping, etc. and to drive to the attractions even if you're on a tour. Alaska can get rain in summer and trillions of bugs on the windshield. That may rule out the Gold Wing for you.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 08:52 PM   #14
laj

I would not take a fully dedicated tour bike to alaska, and i would not go without my jeep.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska