Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-21-2021, 05:17 PM   #29

My wife and I are also planning on heading to AK in 2022. I'm retiring this December and have started the early planning. Currently RV-less, but looking for a 5ver and tow vehicle.
LFOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2021, 07:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFOD View Post
My wife and I are also planning on heading to AK in 2022. I'm retiring this December and have started the early planning. Currently RV-less, but looking for a 5ver and tow vehicle.
Have fun with the new RV and planning the trip over the winter. It's a very easy trip.... just long. Break up your thinking to sections of miles.... not the whole trip. We'd love to spend every summer there.... love it!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFOD View Post
I would go ahead and get the RV and truck as soon as I could, then take a few trips before I went to Alaska. You need to get the bugs worked out of the camper. Last year I traded for a 2020 new 3500 SRW Silverado that could not pass a dealership. I finally traded for a 2021 GMC 3500 DRW that痴 a great truck. A new camper is bound to have a few problems. I知 not trying to discourage you but get a few miles on the truck and camper before you start your trip to Alaska. We didn稚 have any trouble with our Cedar Creek fifth wheel other than falling curtains which I got good on putting up curtains, the curtains fell in the lower states too. My DW doesn稚 want to take the camper to Dawson City, I plan on stopping in Tok AK for a few days and just take the truck to Dawson City by way of Chicken AK. I want to take the truck and ride to the half way point on the Dalton Highway. It痴 a great trip
spock12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock12 View Post
I plan on stopping in Tok AK for a few days and just take the truck to Dawson City by way of Chicken AK.

You could easily take the RV to Dawson on a paved road from Whitehorse... Hwy 2 - Klondike Hwy. It's a nice drive. There is so much to do in Dawson and lots of fun.... best to stay there a few days.

Continuing from Dawson to Chicken to Tok is a good drive... if it's not raining. There's nothing wrong with it and very pretty.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:00 PM   #33

Lots of RV trips to Alaska in 2022.

I wonder if Alaska will be crowded in 2022 ? Will all the gas stations prior to covid be open? Any tourist attractions closed due to lack of business the past two years?
Sam 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:38 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Continuing from Dawson to Chicken to Tok is a good drive... if it's not raining. There's nothing wrong with it and very pretty.
Also know as "Top of the world highway". Major work was being done to the road on our last trip, several years ago.

Just because its labeled a highway, doesn't mean it's paved.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:09 PM   #35

In 2018 we took our 297RSTS behind our F250 diesel from Indiana to Homer. We drove the Top of the World road from Dawson City to Tok with no problems. There were a couple of places where if there had been oncoming traffic it might have been interesting but I don稚 recall meeting another RV the whole way.
We took the truck to Tuktoyaktuk, left the trailer in Dawson.
Trip of a lifetime, took about 3 months, and I want to go back again.
WoodBeWoodwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 03:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You could easily take the RV to Dawson on a paved road from Whitehorse... Hwy 2 - Klondike Hwy. It's a nice drive. There is so much to do in Dawson and lots of fun.... best to stay there a few days.

I wanted to see Dawson City and I needed someone that had been to offer some advice. I would love to go again and stay a little longer. I would like to see Hyder AK, I think it痴 off Highway 37. Maybe stay 4 months. Met some really nice people on both sides of the border. I値l get DW to take the vaccine by then, maybe about a month before we go. I took a lot of shots in the Army, with a needle and a gun.
Old 10-01-2021, 07:05 PM   #37

All I have to do is say the word Alaska & the DW would be ready for trip #5 in heartbeat.

Assuming the border will be open next year, I think that there will be an awful lot of desire to head to Alska in 2022. We will wait.

Plan A for 2022 is trip #2 to Newfoundland, a very special place with great people.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:09 AM   #38

I知 thinking the border will be fully open by April of 22. Me and DW will get vaccinated by March of next year, take the one shot. I知 not making any reservations for campgrounds, maybe once I get to Tok. I want to stay at Delta Junction for 4 days. When I was there in 17 the campground we stayed at(Snowed In) was was not much. There was a really nice campground there but it had been closed for two years. I知 putting a cargo carrier on my fifth wheel to carry my generator in so I can dry camp more. I have found a aluminum toolbox on Amazon that I can put the generator in so it will be out of the weather when I run the generator. That痴 about all the planning I知 doing. Some food you can稚 take across the border besides you can find any food in Canada just higher. Same way in Alaska food cost more. It depends on where you are at if you will pay more for fuel. I plan to take my 100 gallon auxiliary tank. The really high diesel I plan on staying away from. I wish I could afford a aluminum tank, a 109 gallon tank but the price has jumped up higher. I have a dog this time to take across the border. I have found out one eye is pulling to the right that I have to get fixed, I mainly look out of my right eye. I had a accident in Shipshewana Indiana, I hit a post, $9,952.00. I just got the truck fixed and I hit someone, I thought it was the other vehicle痴 fault but I couldn稚 take the chance so I paid them $500 bucks to forget it. My truck is going back in the shop next week, $1725.00, new bumper. Oh well, no one got hurt.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:45 PM   #39

Curious question for those who have been there

How is Dish satellite reception that far north?
vseasport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:49 PM   #40

I don’t know about Dish but my Trav’ler Directv stopped working once I crossed the Canadian border and didn’t start back working until I came back to the lower 48
Old 10-04-2021, 07:29 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Quote:
Originally Posted by vseasport View Post
How is Dish satellite reception that far north?

If I remember correctly, our Travel'r sort of worked in Haines. Everywhere else, it was either too small or didn't have line of sight to the satellites. They are so low that the dishes look like they're aimed at the ground. Most Dish customers in Alaska have huge dishes due to the amount of atmosphere the signal goes through.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:17 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vseasport View Post
I see the 2022 Mile Post won't be out until March. Will it pay to wait and order the latest before our trip?

I would wait.
We went to AK in 2009 during the great Recession. There were a number of fuel stations that we had planned to stop at that were closed. We kept wondering why smaller vehicles were carrying fuel cans on the roof, finally figured out that it was due to longer distances between fuel stations. We have a 128 tank so have range. At the time GasBuddy did not have a site for Canada, I believe they do now. I'd start planning your fuel stops for both distance and price.

When we went Canada published a weekly price sheet by city, I used this to plan fuel stops and save A LOT of money by using the list.

GasBuddy would be even better.

We boon docked probably 50% of the time. Also stayed at provincial and state campgrounds all reasonable prices, some were free. We seldom made reservations, but in real popular areas we did.

Good luck and enjoy the trip, it's once in a life time experience.
UNLESS YOU GO AGAIN!!!
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska