Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:54 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I would wait.
We went to AK in 2009 during the great Recession. There were a number of fuel stations that we had planned to stop at that were closed. We kept wondering why smaller vehicles were carrying fuel cans on the roof, finally figured out that it was due to longer distances between fuel stations.
The Milepost isn't up-to-date yearly so don't rely on it for current campground information or fuel stations... especially after the past Covid time when things were closed. Those businesses have a very hard time making it on a good year. With Covid, you may find some businesses closed for good.

You need to be flexible on the trip as things change all the time. Always drive on the top half of your tank. Don't try to shop for a better price. Be prepared to pay high fuel prices. It's a given.

Again, you don't have to wait until the current Milepost as it will have been printed the previous year or two.

We used the Milepost for the history as we traveled and for the maps.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2021, 12:23 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschwarz View Post
If I remember correctly, our Travel'r sort of worked in Haines. Everywhere else, it was either too small or didn't have line of sight to the satellites. They are so low that the dishes look like they're aimed at the ground. Most Dish customers in Alaska have huge dishes due to the amount of atmosphere the signal goes through.
In 17 we were at a campground in Anchorage and a service that installs satellites was working on a class a beside us, the class a was staying the summer in Alaska. A bigger satellite dish had to be installed and when they got the dish working the satellite dish was pointed at the ground. It was not cheap, I donít remember the price. We were actually to busy looking at all the scenery to watch tv. DW likes Direct TV but I hardly ever watch anything on tv when we are on a trip. Fuel is probably the highest cost you will have. I remember one time I was pumping diesel and I looked at the price on the pump, $1.99 a liter, I never stopped pumping. In Chicken AK the gas cost more than the diesel, both were high. The cheapest I found diesel in Canada was in Dawson Creek, $.99 cent a gallon and you had to pay in cash, Canadian cash. I wanted to buy more Canadian cash but it was Saturday and I thought the bank was closed, wrong. I brought a thousand dollars worth of Canadian money about 6 months before I got to the border
spock12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:09 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock12 View Post
The cheapest I found diesel in Canada was in Dawson Creek, $.99 cent a gallon and you had to pay in cash, Canadian cash. I wanted to buy more Canadian cash but it was Saturday and I thought the bank was closed, wrong. I brought a thousand dollars worth of Canadian money about 6 months before I got to the border
You get the best exchange rate if, as soon as you cross into Canada, go to the local bank. Also, most of the Yukon/Canada public parks have a drop box for your fee and having cash is important... along with laundries.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:37 AM   #46

You donít have to have Canadian money as all the campgrounds will take American money and you can use your credit card. But using Canadian money saves some because like someone said the bank gives the best rate. I saved some money by buying early, you just have to know what you are doing because the exchange rate goes up and down. I didnít use my credit card much because I was getting charged twice for the same charge. I only paid for one charge but it was confusing to me so I used Canadian. My cell phone service was another matter, I could use half a gig a day, I have Verizon and the plan I had at the time didnít charge anything for being in Canada but I could only use half a gig a day. I never used anywhere close to that.
I sat down yesterday and rough figured the cost of the trip from North Carolina, 10,000 miles at 10 mpg, 90 nights, food for 3 months. Between $13,000 and $16,000, if I stay at home Iíll spend $6,000 in that 3 months. So I have to save some money between now and then I can cut down on the food and campground fee but the fuel canít be cut. Diesel fuel keeps going up, diesel is $3.00 a gallon about ten miles from me, at the truckstop a mile away itís $3.81 a gallon. In Canada right now itís over $5.00 a gallon. While in Canada Iíll drive at least 4,000 miles. But hey it could be worse, at least I can get fuel. I canít wait another year as Iím not getting any younger. If I can get the diesel Iím going and I can cross the border. Maybe I can dry camp a little more and eat in the camper more. Itís a trip of a lifetime, Iím going
Old 10-06-2021, 06:37 PM   #47

Quote:
You donít have to have Canadian money as all the campgrounds will take American money and you can use your credit card.
RV parks with attendants may take American but public campgrounds using the 'iron ranger' and no attendants around want Canadian if you're in Canada.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:14 PM   #48

3 month trip in 2019 with a 40í 5th wheel. Highlights: Laird Hot Springs, BC. Stay a few days and enjoy the hot springs. (we were there a week before the murders). Dawson City, Yukon. So much to see and do there. Get the Sourtoe, https://www.cbc.ca/shortdocs/feature...d-with-a-human , you only live once. Top of the World Hwy and Chicken, AK. Had many people along the way tell me I shouldnít do the Top of the World. I did it anyway and it was great. Spend the night in Chicken just to say you did. Hyder, AK around middle of August. Lots of Brown bears because salmon were in stream. Youíll need to stay in Stewart BC to visit Hyder. All the other places were great, Fairbanks, Denali, Kenai, Valdez. The highlights were just unexpected surprises.
slotown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:19 PM   #49

Just In Time

Great Post!! I too am planning on taking my Tioga 22B w/Rubicon toad in May to AK. Leaving from Denver will most likely take a similar route. Am looking forward to reading the many informative posts to follow
14OTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:50 AM   #50

I want to thank every one for all the great information. I am watching the conversation. Keep it coming.
VC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:46 PM   #51

I was just looking around on the web and I came across something looking for a way to drive to the Artic Ocean. I have hear of the Demeter Highway but it did not dawn on me that there was a way to drive to the Artic Ocean. Low and behold I found out the Canadianís had built a all weather highway to the Artic Ocean. There is a small town there, I looked on rvparky and saw a cheap campground and one review. It might be cool to drive there. This will be my last trip if I go, not 25 anymore and a 3 month trip after next year will probably be a stretch. DW is 10 years younger than me but I do all the driving and all the planning. I love going but Iím not getting any younger. Alaska was my best duty assignment the whole time I was in the Army, I love seeing it snow, been in to many hot places
Old 10-09-2021, 10:48 AM   #52

Alaska

I drove to Alaska in 2017 from florida. Are you leaving from florida in 2022 I am planing on going back to Alaska. I entered Canada on the east side of Glacier National Park and I was the only one there at that time around June 12th.
Captain55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 02:35 PM   #53

Quote:
I was just looking around on the web and I came across something looking for a way to drive to the Artic Ocean. I have hear of the Demeter Highway but it did not dawn on me that there was a way to drive to the Artic Ocean.
It's a very remote drive and you had better have your vehicle in excellent repair, good tires and spares.

https://mortonsonthemove.com/road-to...th-episode-12/
Old 10-14-2021, 06:04 PM   #54

Agree

Agree with twogypsies, I have been going through My Tioga for the last two years preparing this and that. Still have an extensive checklist to go through this winter but have done much already...new stool(toilet), new tires, tranny cooler x2, new cabin water pump, pusher fan on radiator, new 200 amp alternator, antifreeze flush, new serpentine belt, power steering flush on my 2005 that ONLY has 50K miles. One of my favorite sayings is: Failure to prepare is preparing to FAIL!!
14OTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:33 PM   #55

Alaska Trip Planning

This is a great thread to learn from those who've done the trip to Alaska. Does anyone have a good rule of thumb to use for Average Mile's Per Hour or Miles per Day when traveling the Alaska Highway, Cassair Highway, and any of the other major roads in Alaska? We'll be traveling in a 26 Foot Class-C.

When we travel interstates in the lower 48, I use a 55MPH average for the Class-C (includes typical rest / gas stops) and 45MPH when running on 2-lane roads. When driving a car, with the cruise control on 70, I get a net 60MPH when adding in the stops on a typical trip.

Thanks in advance!
Henry
Sunrise Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:02 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise Camp View Post
This is a great thread to learn from those who've done the trip to Alaska. Does anyone have a good rule of thumb to use for Average Mile's Per Hour or Miles per Day when traveling the Alaska Highway, Cassair Highway, and any of the other major roads in Alaska? We'll be traveling in a 26 Foot Class-C.

When we travel interstates in the lower 48, I use a 55MPH average for the Class-C (includes typical rest / gas stops) and 45MPH when running on 2-lane roads. When driving a car, with the cruise control on 70, I get a net 60MPH when adding in the stops on a typical trip.

Thanks in advance!
Henry
We have a Mile Post and just added "Alaska Camping" by Mike and Terri Church to the arsenal. It answers many of these questions, suggests routes and time frames. It is a valuable resource with loads of info.
See you in 2022.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska