Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-01-2022, 06:17 AM   #85

Alaska 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC63 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am the original poster. I just want to thank everyone for all the great information. I have learned a lot.

We are planning to leave Florida the first week of June for Alaska. We hope to take all of June July August and return sometime in September.

Good luck to everyone who is making the venture this summer.
I am also leaving Florida the first week of June for Alaska. This is our 2ed trip and looking forward to our trip. Good Luck to everyone headed to alaska and will keep you posted.
Captain55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2022, 06:46 AM   #86

I'm headed out tomorrow from Key Largo Florida to Alaska. I will try to keep people posted also. Safe travel guys.
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 10:11 AM   #87

Everyone going to Alaska this summer please use this post for any information along your trip. We'd all like to read of your adventures and it will help future travelers.

Have fun, enjoy the scenery and critters and have a safe summer!!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 06:36 PM   #88

Best wishes to all that are traveling this year; we are heading North to Alaska in small steps. Feel free to follow along if you like! I will try to add details once we cross into Canada in early June.

https://nomadicparkers.blog/
Old 05-03-2022, 10:37 AM   #89

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We left central CA Friday and stopped at our property in LaPine OR. We leave here on Thursday working our way to Alaska.
Old 05-05-2022, 04:26 PM   #90

We left Key Largo on Monday, May 2nd. We NEVER have spent a night in out TT...We are pure newbies but did ok. Already met some great people.
First stop was a friend's house in Lake Placid, FL. From there we got online and booked 2 nights at Rainbow River State Campground. No problems getting reservation. We are pure newbies but did ok. Already met some great people.
We left Rainbow Reef in Thursday and rolled into Kolomoki Indian Mounds State Park in GA without reservations. Only staying one night. Probably about 7 people in the park.
Still two spots open for the weekend.
I am paying around 5.40 for diesel. Gas is about 3.69 in the small towns in GA.
Plan on getting about another 250 miles or so under my belt tomorrow and don't know where I will end up.
Will keep you posted for more in a few days.
Safe travels.
Old 05-05-2022, 05:53 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
We left Key Largo on Monday, May 2nd. We NEVER have spent a night in out TT...We are pure newbies but did ok. Already met some great people.
First stop was a friend's house in Lake Placid, FL. From there we got online and booked 2 nights at Rainbow River State Campground. No problems getting reservation. We are pure newbies but did ok. Already met some great people.
We left Rainbow Reef in Thursday and rolled into Kolomoki Indian Mounds State Park in GA without reservations. Only staying one night. Probably about 7 people in the park.
Plan on getting about another 250 miles or so under my belt tomorrow and don't know where I will end up.
Safe travels.
A true newbie heading to Alaska!!! LOVE IT!

I'm really impressed that you've already stayed with no year-long advance reservations as some folks state they make.

Keep in touch as you travel.
Old 05-05-2022, 07:05 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
Safe travels.
Get in the habit now and prepare for Canada and Alaska, driving ONLY off the top half of your fuel tank then refilling ASAP.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 05:19 PM   #93

Made it up to Horseshoe Lake CG in Illinois tonight. Real pretty.
Stayed last night at a HH museum lot. All was good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220507_180828.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	647.5 KB
ID:	364787  
Old 05-07-2022, 06:37 PM   #94

Rexhall Owners Group
Hello, I read somewhere that overnight camping in Canada is only permitted in campgrounds but I see many posts that mention boondocking all the way through Canada to Alaska and back. Is the "boondocking" being done in free campgrounds or did I read some misinformation?
dmathewslhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 11:14 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmathewslhc View Post
Hello, I read somewhere that overnight camping in Canada is only permitted in campgrounds but I see many posts that mention boondocking all the way through Canada to Alaska and back. Is the "boondocking" being done in free campgrounds or did I read some misinformation?
Try this site: https://freecampsites.net/#

Note that some are really not free but have minimal cost. Pick a town on a map and see what comes up.

https://www.campendium.com/free-camping

We found many off-the-road places to spend a night with good access. You can't do this within the Provincial parks such as Jasper or Banff.
Old 05-08-2022, 12:44 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmathewslhc View Post
There is plenty of boondocking sites farther north. Most of these are just pull outs but for the adventurous you can find a couple of gems. Once you get past Grand Praire/Dawson Creek more opportunities open up for boondocking, but this stretch is where we usually hammer down to get home to Alaska. The scenery is spectacular but there is not a ton of activities to make you linger. Except Liard Hot Springs, after that many miles you deserve a rest and soak in the water. There are plenty of places to stop and look at during the day and we stop , grab lunch, look then get back on the road.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:30 PM   #97

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We crossed the border Saturday and stayed in a rest area on the 1 before Cashe Creek (we were the only ones). The rest areas are not like ours, very small. Spent the second night in a pull out north of Prince George (we were the only ones). We stopped because of heavy snow. This morning we made it to Dawson Creek in heavy snow and pulled in a RV park. This was the last 50a winter spot as all of the returning Alaskans are hunkering down for a couple days because of snow. It has not stopped snowing sense yesterday afternoon. 12 deg tonight. Beautiful drive, saw 4 bears the second day.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:04 PM   #98

10 fan ; and others on route to Alaska .

Sorry about the fuel prices and the weather .

BC is coming out of it's third wettest April on record and perhaps May is following suit.
We are still getting snowfall warnings for mountain passes within 150 miles of the WA state border , let alone in the northern half of the province .

Stay safe ,and I'm hopeful that soon someone , somewhere , will flip the weather switch and bring on normal spring weather , before it's too late.

Tags
alaska