Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:21 AM   #99

WE are leaving Chattanooga area on 5/25 North to Alaska. Plan to go thru North Dakota to fill in the state map. Also will cross into Canada north of Malta, MT to add Sask. Plan to connect with Can #16 in Battleford and then to Edmonton. Finishing servicing rig this week. I will post as we go and have Wi-Fi. Not looking forward to diesel prices, but have put this of for 2+ years already. Getting long in the tooth so need to go now.
GPRYOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2022, 07:31 AM   #100

Alaska or bust!

We departed Los Cabos Mexico late April and started our adventure. Now we are hunkered down in the middle of Utah waiting for someone to flip that weather switch. Woke up yesterday morning to ice on our camp chairs and the toad windshield.

We were able to buy diesel in San Felipe MX for $4.25. Then made it through CA to Henderson NV where we paid $5.25. That seems to the going price in the western states. Got to use my new TSD card for the first time and it is the bomb.

The trip to this point has consisted of boon docking and camp grounds. I'm not a reservations kinda guy and have managed to find great places with just a days notice. Even stayed at Zion national park camp ground a half mile from the park entrance on the weekend. The park was surprisingly not crowed.

I am solar powered and allergic to snow. Hopefully the weather will improve soon so we can continue north.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:08 AM   #101
GBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
We crossed the border Saturday and stayed in a rest area on the 1 before Cashe Creek (we were the only ones). The rest areas are not like ours, very small. Spent the second night in a pull out north of Prince George (we were the only ones). We stopped because of heavy snow. This morning we made it to Dawson Creek in heavy snow and pulled in a RV park. This was the last 50a winter spot as all of the returning Alaskans are hunkering down for a couple days because of snow. It has not stopped snowing sense yesterday afternoon. 12 deg tonight. Beautiful drive, saw 4 bears the second day.
Worst is ahead of you north of Fort Nelson where the Alcan crosses the Rockies. Stay safe.
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:00 AM   #102

So glad some of you are posting your trip so far. Anxious to continue reading about your journey.

This is only May 10 so snow is to be expected. Most leave toward the end of May. Hope it improves fast for you. The lakes are prettier without ice.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:21 PM   #103

Update:
We left Horshoe Lake Park in souther Illinois a few days ago. It's a wonderful gem of a park and wish we could have stayed longer. Only three of us in the CG. We couldn't stay because we reserved two nights at Lake of the Ozarks on our Journey. Weekend was crowded but our two nights in the weekdays were spare.
We now are at Weston Bend State Park NW of Kansas City. Hot as blazes and plan on heading North tomorrow.
As far as problems...nothing major. We did drop and drag a stabilization bar for about 50 miles. Loose spring clip. Anyway, I've pulled 500 miles without and Stabilization system and honestly...I can't tell a difference. I think my 1 ton can handle my 8000lb trailer fine without any added stabilization system.
I plan on heading towards Mount Rushmore tomorrow. Looking for a decent CG about 250 miles on my route. Any ideas? Probably stop just short of Hastings Neb. I can fluctuate if you guys recommend something?
Thanks and safe travels.
Safe travel guys
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:53 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
Probably stop just short of Hastings Neb. I can fluctuate if you guys recommend something?
Here are some ideas around Hastings, Nebraska.

https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/regio...raska/hastings
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:01 PM   #105

This is my dream trip but it will have to wait a couple years until DW retires. I so appreciate all the info and for those that are updating us as you travel, especially appreciate your taking the time. It's very interesting to follow along.

Some of us have to live vicariously.......
Safe travels and enjoy the days.

Bill
LRbill20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:23 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
Update:
We left Horshoe Lake Park in souther Illinois a few days ago. It's a wonderful gem of a park and wish we could have stayed longer. Only three of us in the CG. We couldn't stay because we reserved two nights at Lake of the Ozarks on our Journey. Weekend was crowded but our two nights in the weekdays were spare.
We now are at Weston Bend State Park NW of Kansas City. Hot as blazes and plan on heading North tomorrow.
As far as problems...nothing major. We did drop and drag a stabilization bar for about 50 miles. Loose spring clip. Anyway, I've pulled 500 miles without and Stabilization system and honestly...I can't tell a difference. I think my 1 ton can handle my 8000lb trailer fine without any added stabilization system.
I plan on heading towards Mount Rushmore tomorrow. Looking for a decent CG about 250 miles on my route. Any ideas? Probably stop just short of Hastings Neb. I can fluctuate if you guys recommend something?
Thanks and safe travels.
Safe travel guys
Your 1 ton is 9,000lbs and your trailer is 8,000lbs, but the trailer has leverage on your rear end. Keep those bars attached. I towed an 11,000lb TT from a bit north of Ft Nelson to Whitehorse with no trailer brakes due to abraded and shorted brake wires. Tow/Haul and Engine Brake were great aids. Got it fixed in Whitehorse.

Have a great trip.
Tee Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:44 PM   #107

Hey, Homeby5, looks like we will just miss you, will be at Weston Bend this weekend, hope you got a chance to go into the town of Weston, it is a quaint little town full of neat shops. If you don't mind 2 lane roads, i'd recommend not going back to I29, take Missouri 45 north and cross the Missouri River at Atchison, then take US 73 to US 36 at Hiawatha, that's the route we always take. If you aren't set on getting close to Hastings, the towns of Fairbury, Hebron and Deshler all have nice little city park campgrounds, inexpensive, too. There are some state parks, and they are nice, but sad to say, Nebraska Game and Parks will charge you a hefty fee for an out of state park pass, plus the camp fee. South and west of Hastings is the Pioneer Village in Minden, they also have a little no frills campground, use to be free with an admission to the museum, but not sure about now. Enjoy your travel thru our little neck of the woods
Old 05-10-2022, 11:29 PM   #108

We will be heading up to the Yukon and NWT in June, up the Cassier to Dawson City then the Dempster and down 97. Might see some of you along the way. A couple of things that I haven't seen mentioned - Canada recycles bottles and cans and bins are at campsites. Bring cash for Provincial/Territorial/forestry sites. Health care is not free, have insurance or drive fast up to Alaska Please be bear aware (no trace camping) plus lookout for wildlife on the road. Enjoy the Journey and remember that your money is worth so much more in Canada. Latest from Gas Buddy BC Regular - 221.9˘ Diesel - 223.9˘ per litre. It's been a wet cold winter so the bugs will be biting if it ever warms up. Happy Camping
Old 05-11-2022, 09:21 AM   #109

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I paid $ 2.17 liter two days ago. $900 Canadian = $703 US
About $6.50 gallon after exchange. Not good but better than I thought it would be.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:59 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwadted View Post
Hey, Homeby5, looks like we will just miss you, will be at Weston Bend this weekend, hope you got a chance to go into the town of Weston, it is a quaint little town full of neat shops. If you don't mind 2 lane roads, i'd recommend not going back to I29, take Missouri 45 north and cross the Missouri River at Atchison, then take US 73 to US 36 at Hiawatha, that's the route we always take. If you aren't set on getting close to Hastings, the towns of Fairbury, Hebron and Deshler all have nice little city park campgrounds, inexpensive, too. There are some state parks, and they are nice, but sad to say, Nebraska Game and Parks will charge you a hefty fee for an out of state park pass, plus the camp fee. South and west of Hastings is the Pioneer Village in Minden, they also have a little no frills campground, use to be free with an admission to the museum, but not sure about now. Enjoy your travel thru our little neck of the woods
Thanks.
We decided to boondock in Hastings Museum. Just staying the night passing through.
Glad I have my gensets because it's hit as blue blazes...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220511_164335.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	496.9 KB
ID:	365200  
Old 05-12-2022, 04:21 PM   #111

Quick update:
On the way to Badlands, SD we ran into a high wind alert. Gusting to 60mph.
Truck and TT did fine with no sway freelancing but we decided to pull into Cody city park and stay for the night.
CG has electric and sewer.
Stay safe guys...
Old 05-12-2022, 07:40 PM   #112

I'll be in the Badlands in about a week and will be watching the wind forecast.

Tags
alaska