Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:11 PM   #239

Update on Key Largo to Alaska:

Ok...we just passed 7000 miles on our trip We are probably about half way done.

As a new camper, I have learned that I don't like exceeding around 200 miles a day. Eyes get too tired.

I've also learned (as I mentioned before) that I am a dry camper. I love it. Don't be scared into thinking that you need lithium batteries, solar panels, inverters, etc... in order to dry camp. I have spent 26 nights dry camping with a normal setup and a suitcase genset. Along with my tow vehicle charging my batteries, I only run the genset a couple hours a day to keep them topped off. And that's using the propane heater a few hours a night. I also use microwave, rice cooker, hair dryer, etc...Yes...I would like the other stuff but I haven't felt hindered in any way to be off of grid. My biggest concern dry camping is water.

As far as trip, it's been wonderful. Seen sooooo much. I will say that the wildlife was much more prevalent in Canada. No comparison. Talkeetna was very nice and the views of Denali were stunning. Also enjoyed camping off the Denali highway. It was a wonderful surprise full of scenery.

I am on the Kenai Peninsula now. Dry camping right off Seward highway in view of Spencer Glacier. Road noise but not too bad and no worse than drunks partying into all hours. (Did I mention I hate CG's?).
Please are to hit Skilak Lake tomorrow for a couple days and then onto Kenai. Will stop by Seward in over a week after the July 4th madness has calmed down. Then onto Valdez.

Safe travels out there and hope your trips are all going great!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220628_120330.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	623.2 KB
ID:	369728  
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2022, 11:12 PM   #240

Oh...BTW, for anyone interested, the roadbto Hatchers Pass from Willow is open completely. Beautiful drive.
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:55 PM   #241

HOMEby5: You're doing it all right! Enjoy the rest!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:48 PM   #242

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Making reservations for Denali campgrounds it says 40' and under. For those who have stayed there, do you think 43' will be a problem? I have never been measured or had a problem fitting anywhere a 40' could fit. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:26 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
Making reservations for Denali campgrounds it says 40' and under. For those who have stayed there, do you think 43' will be a problem? I have never been measured or had a problem fitting anywhere a 40' could fit. Thanks for your help.
We've stayed there with our 40' motorhome and our site would have accommodated you. I will say there aren't many big sites and sometimes smaller RVs take them, unfortunately. It was first come when we went so you don't really know what's available until you get there. We left for the drive early morning when folks were leaving and just chanced it. Also, with a motorhome you have to leave your towed vehicle behind so you wouldn't have to worry about having room to park it on the campsite. Once you get there you can't drive anywhere. You need to take the shuttle bus which is wonderful. You purchase the TEK pass and you can use the buses how often you want and for how long. A few times we went out late in the day and got off just to walk the road for a while. Awesome with the vastness and absolute stillness out there. Then we'd pick up the next bus coming by. Super easy.

We stayed in Teklanika 5 nights and the front campground, Riley Creek for 5 nights. We were busy in the park constantly. We saw 'The' mountain 7 of 10 days and every one of the big animals - more than once.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:00 PM   #244

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you, just made reservations for 7-7 to 7-11 at TEK
We just pulled in to Cabelas in Anchorage.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:46 PM   #245

Alaska highway closed between liard hot springs & watson lake

We're currently at the Coal River RV Park and were informed by several other groups (like 5 or 6) of a landslide across the road about 20 kilometers north of here. I saw a few pictures and it's not gonna be open soon. It literally just happened. Two folks told the group that the saw the road fall away as they watched.

We're going to have to re-route down to Price George, then up the Cassiar.....

Posted 6:45PM Pacific Time on July 1st
Sunrise Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:55 PM   #246

Heard that from my motorcycle buddy headed south. He's seen photos, reckons will me weeks before fixed. I dunno if cassiar hwy has infrastructure for increased traffic, fuel needs. When I came up it 3 weeks ago, gas stations spread out, few campgrounds, and tight road up top of Dease. I suggest don't oass a gas station. I slept at Dease. Came from Prince George.
cbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:35 PM   #247

https://energeticcity.ca/2022/07/01/...losed-between/

That could take awhile to repair.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:52 PM   #248

The closure is listed on the " Drive BC " web site under Highway 97 .

Info will be up dated tomorrow noon PST . July 2 nd.

EDIT: JMHO: Looks like a plugged culvert might have been the cause.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Alaska Highway wash out.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	369871  
Old 07-02-2022, 01:25 AM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
Thank you, just made reservations for 7-7 to 7-11 at TEK
We just pulled in to Cabelas in Anchorage.
Just left TEK CG this morning... sites are first come/first served as far as site selection is concerned. Not all sites will accommodate your rig, so you should check in at 11 am for the best selection of sites... both check out and check in are at 11 am...

Lots of smoke up north, it had started to lift this morning, but we are now in Fairbanks and the whole town is smoky and smelling like a poorly attended camp fire...

We're headed back down the Richardson HWY to Glenallen area for more of these...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-20220623-WA0000.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	369872  
OldSalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 01:46 PM   #250

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the tip. I will get there earily to dump and check in.
Nice catch.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:01 AM   #251

More photos of the MESS on the Alaska Highway near the BC , Yukon border .

Looks like the highway , " road bed " was sandy soil and just washed out when saturated , damage visible , way further back by disturbance of grass on bank .

Looks like the repair will take a long time .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Drone photo 1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	369993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drone photo 2 .jpg
Views:	40
Size:	354.6 KB
ID:	369994  

Name:	Drone photo 3 .jpg
Views:	37
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	369995  
Old 07-03-2022, 12:22 PM   #252

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
More photos of the MESS on the Alaska Highway near the BC , Yukon border .

Looks like the highway , " road bed " was sandy soil and just washed out when saturated , damage visible , way further back by disturbance of grass on bank .

Looks like the repair will take a long time .
Looks to me like the culvert was plugged or couldn't handle the amount of water, so water ran over the road, then washed it out. I've seen that many times. Look at the amount of mud and debris on the lower side of the road that wasn't washed away.

Either way, some large culvert and many loads of fill and it will be good to go. The thing that slows these repairs down is the remoteness and time it takes to get a contractor up there working on it. My guess is it's already being worked on. That road is the main line for trucking goods North.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska