Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-27-2019, 01:32 AM   #43

No worries, Steve. The one issue we both regretted on past cross country trips were all the reservations we had to make in advance and then had to bypass many potentially interesting sights and activities to meet those arrangements. We’ll see what the ferry line has to say about reservations but, if it doesn’t work out, we’ll just take the Cassiers Hwy home and see a different part of AK. One of the reasons we’re RV’ers is so we can be so flexible in our travels. The kids have flown the coop and the house will be shut down so we don’t REALLY have a reason to get home at any particular time. As Doris used to say, “Que sera sera”.
BlueGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGekko View Post
As Doris used to say, “Que sera sera”.
Love your attitude! That's how we always feel. We have never been without a place to stay.

If we would have had to make reservations for every night of our 16 years of full-timing we would never have full-timed. 5,840 reservations? No way.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:45 PM   #45

If you have a pickup, whether towing a trailer or not; do not pass an open filling station regardless of your tank reading.

While we were on our Alaska trip in 2012 we had a broken spring on our 5er. while returning to Tok(no cell service from Chicken), I came upon a man with such a rig on the side of the road. I pulled up behind him in my dually and asked if I could help.
He said he ran out of gas, he had bypassed one station because he had half a tank. Well the next station was closed.
That was approx 6 miles from Tok. I poured my generator gas, 1G, into his tank then followed him into Tok.
An unwritten rule of Alaska is to never ignore anyone broke-down along the road or walking, there are too many dangers.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:02 AM   #46

Ray, that’s one of our rules of the road: never pass a gas station when the gauge reads half. Spent too many years driving Chevy Blazers with their wonky gas gauges to trust them again. Besides, half a tank is about as long as the wife can hold it. Any point after that and MY trip becomes miserable too. ��
Old 11-28-2019, 11:04 AM   #47

Quote:
No worries, Steve. The one issue we both regretted on past cross country trips were all the reservations we had to make in advance and then had to bypass many potentially interesting sights and activities to meet those arrangements. We’ll see what the ferry line has to say about reservations but, if it doesn’t work out, we’ll just take the Cassiers Hwy home and see a different part of AK. One of the reasons we’re RV’ers is so we can be so flexible in our travels. The kids have flown the coop and the house will be shut down so we don’t REALLY have a reason to get home at any particular time. As Doris used to say, “Que sera sera”.
Thank you so much. Those would be my thoughts exactly.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #48

UTV or not

I am planning on going up in June of 2020. I have a toy hauler and wonder if I should bring my RZR. It is licence for the pavement here in Az. I could use it to run around instead of unhooking trailer - but it takes up room in trailer (non garage model) and I am undecided if I should bring it. Any opinions?
flashman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:17 PM   #49

Since it would have to be removed from trailer at every stop and all days are not sunny and nice, I would think it wouldn't be convenient but only you know if you'd like to deal with that and the mud it would carry into your trailer.

If you consider doing it then you probably need to consult the proper authorities in Canada, Yukon and Alaska to see if you can ride it on the road. Also check with campgrounds such as Denali Nat'l Park which is a must. I've got a feeling it wouldn't be allowed in Denali but check.

Seems like unhooking the truck would be easier and keep you out of the rain and cold while driving around.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:06 AM   #50

Probably won't go to Denali - went there 2 years ago by bus. Has anyone else taken an atv, dirt bike or such on their trip - and if so are there off road trails to explore?
flashman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #51

For those going to Alaska this summer now that the holidays are over it's a perfect time to do your planning!!

Let's keep it all on this one post - easier to read and refer back to than multiples.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:30 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
If towing with a pu i would have an auxiliary fuel tank. You can pay for it with the savings on Canadian fuel. Makes those closed stations not so bad. There is never too much fuel. In 2017 we found several stations closed and some out of diesel. This was late in the season and stations will not buy a tank of fuel to stay in the ground all winter. I have checked some prices and some are .35L more than 2017. We will leave New Orleans in early June and return in October. Enjoy Alaska.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:30 AM   #53

We’re planning to head west from NH on/about May 1st bound for Bellingham to board the ferry to Skagway. From reading the boards it seems that to insure a parking space and cabin aboard the Bellingham ferry we need to reserve well in advance. However, the ferry website says there are no boats leaving for the 90 days around the 3rd week in May when we expect to be at the port. Anyone have experience reserving this far in advance for the Bellingham port?
Old 01-06-2020, 12:15 PM   #54

BLUEGEKKO: I'd suggest that you call the ferry. They are very helpful.

On one of our trips we also took the ferry from Bellingham around May 15. I'm sorry but I don't recall exactly when we reserved & we didn't need a RV spot. We left our RV at a local RV park because we were meeting up with friends and all 3 of us were renting a Class C and flying back.

We reserved a cabin and wished that we didn't. The lounge chairs were very comfortable and the trip to Skagway is only a few nights. The cabins are extremely tiny so you wouldn't spend any time in them other than sleeping.

We really enjoyed the ferry because that's the way the locals travel and it was interesting talking to them. Some were going to another town to watch their kids play football with another team. We also enjoyed watching a group of young adults who had set up their tents on an open deck. They were heading for their summer fishing jobs. We listened to their guitar playing and watched them artfully create their peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for every meal!

Have a great trip and hope you get your questions answered.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:31 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman77 View Post
I am planning on going up in June of 2020. I have a toy hauler and wonder if I should bring my RZR. It is licence for the pavement here in Az. I could use it to run around instead of unhooking trailer - but it takes up room in trailer (non garage model) and I am undecided if I should bring it. Any opinions?
If you have to store your RZR in your trailer taking up room and bringing in a LOT of dirt, I probably wouldn't take it unless you're a die-hard rider. If it was easy on/off then perhaps but keep in mind that you may have lots of rain for riding. Also, if you're driving on some of the dirt roads they aren't traveled much so if you have mechanical issues be sure to pack a good survival kit including bear spray! I don't know the regulations of Canada/Yukon/Alaska even though you're street legal in Arizona. Best to check that out. If you plan to just ride on the street that could mean many, many miles of forest on both sides with no stores/fuel, etc. depending where you stop.

I do know that many bringing bikes were sorry that they did because of lack of good riding and being caked in mud constantly. There was a picture on here once of a biker being chased by a grizzly taken by another biker.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:53 PM   #56

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
If we’re going to be on site for a week or so, we just rent a car or use Uber. We towed one summer and found it to be more of a hassle than it was worth.
99% of Alaska has not rental cars or Ubers. If I couldn't tow, I wouldn't go. Do you really want to break camp every day in order to sight-see?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, travel