Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:17 PM   #113

I called ahead of time and was told going thru Canada was allowed. All I had to say was I was going straight on thru to Alaska. They asked if we had enough water and food to make the trip with out stopping for supplies, we said yes. We were told to only buy necessary fuel and stay in the rv, no hotels, no rv parks. Emergency medical was allowed. We have made the trip 20 times so we no longer stop for anything anyway. Our normal trip from Sacramento, California to Anchorage is 6 or 7 days every year. If caught being out of the rv and going around people was subject to a fine of up to $1,000,000 I don't know if that's Canadian or American money. It seemed like we were allowed 14 days if necessary. That's quite a bit of extra water and food though.

Anyone can google Canadian Border Information and get the phone number and ask for themselves. I managed to contact the border station in Sumas and they did not want to be contacted and would not give me and info. The number I was told to use was 204 983-3500 and is one google will find.

Larry
LarryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2020, 06:04 PM   #114

Thanks for the reply. We had planned to cross at Glacier NP, but have rerouted to Seattle. Our two grand daughters were to fly back to GA from Edmonton, but that was a none starter. So they will have to return from Seattle. I don't mind the "boon docking" along the way, DW might. I assume the dogs can be walked and "serviced".
GPRYOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:28 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPRYOR View Post
Thanks for the reply. We had planned to cross at Glacier NP, but have rerouted to Seattle. Our two grand daughters were to fly back to GA from Edmonton, but that was a none starter. So they will have to return from Seattle. I don't mind the "boon docking" along the way, DW might. I assume the dogs can be walked and "serviced".
You don't give up any conveniences when you boondock. You have a generator to run things.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:41 AM   #116

Yes we have 6KW of power, and we are serviced and ready. Will begin trip 5/30 from Chattanooga. We've been planning this for years. Had to wait for retirement.
GPRYOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:28 PM   #117

I too am very surprised they let you drive through Canada.

Today Canada announced their border will remain closed for another 30 days minimum. I guess I don't understand what closed means and how you made it through. Glad for you, but I think we are going to have to push our Alaska trip back a year.
Exige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:38 PM   #118

Looks like it means:
Direct route only, max 7 days
No RV Parks, boondock only alongside the road
Pay At Pump fuel only (I know this does not work in many areas from previous trips, sometimes due to Only Canada issued cards at pump)
Food and water for the whole trip

Our usual trip is minimum 5 days in Canada, with most days around 500 miles. There is an unattended waste water and fresh water station on the north end of Ft Nelson by the Visitor Center, two lanes, no waiting.
Tee Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #119

A word of caution, a friend just drove up from Washington, he is from Arizona with Arizona plates and license. The officer in the Canadian booth would not let him thru without a letter of employment in Alaska. He has a friend in the commercial fishing business who he contacted and the friend sent him a text message of employment. They then let him go on through Canada. He does help his friend out a few times during the summer but it's for free fishing trips.

It always depends on the officer in the booth, they can let you through with no problem or they can stop you if they think they should. Be nice to them.

Larry
LarryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:31 AM   #120

Time for an Alaskan adventure!

QUOTE=twogypsies;4986200]For those of you going to Alaska next summer I would highly recommend you post your questions all in one spot to save confusion and flipping from post to post. It makes for good reading and easy to find recommendations, etc.

Let's have this one as the main post and add to it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's some information to get you started:

Visitors will drive all sizes and types of RVs from the smallest to the biggest.

Look for information on border crossing regulations. There's also a web site that lists all the crossing places and their hours. Read all you can and read others' recent blogs. Forget about the 'scare' stories from many years ago. It's a very safe, easy trip.... just long.

Don't think of it as a long trip with miles of driving. Break it down in your mind to multiple short trips tacked together. For instance, make the route from Texas to Montana or wherever you want to cross. Then make another route maybe up to Banff and Jasper. Then another route from there to Dawson Creek - the beginning of the Alaskan Highway, and so forth.

The best way to do this trip is to plan for all summer. Plan to cross into Canada around the end of May and plan to leave Alaska the end of August.

Go up on the Alaskan Highway and return on the Cassier Hwy.

Run on the top 1/2 of your fuel tank. Don't expect to shop for the cheapest price - just get it.

There are so many helpful people on the roads both those who live along the route and travelers, such as you.

Get the Milepost for history and maps. Keep it open daily to read.

Get Mike & Terri Church's book 'Alaskan Camping' which will include Canada and the Yukon. That's the only guide you'll need. Good information on RV parks, public campgrounds (Yukon has some very nice ones along with Canada's Provincial parks) and they even give ideas for boondocking spots.

Get the TourSaver 2/1 Coupon Book. One glacier cruise will pay for the book and you'll want to do at least one.

The only reservations me made for the whole trip was for the July 4 weekend (Alaskans like to camp, too) and for 5 nights in Teklanika campground in Denali Nat'l Park. For those we only made the reservation a few weeks prior when we could better judge when we'd be there. Don't make a summer full of reservations. Schedules are hard to keep on this trip. Pull in early afternoon and you'll get a site.

It's not a fast, interstate-type of trip. Sometimes you'll even be going around 40mph or slower in the construction areas. The roads are very good but just like in the lower 48 there will always be construction.

You can't get lost. Everyone will be going to the same places once you get on the Alaskan Highway. We even met up with the same folks in campgrounds time after time.

There are some beautiful boondocking spot for a night or two on lakes or rivers. Take advantage of doing this.

Don't expect RV 'resorts'. The parks are basically gravel parking lots. The owners have a very short season so a lot of extras is not put into them. The public parks are great along the whole trip in Canada, the Yukon and Alaska.[/QUOTE]
rexfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:35 AM   #121

Time for a Alaskan Adventure

Hi Everyone, after reading over some of the posts I was wondering if leaving Northern California mid July and planning to spend 6-8 weeks sounds doable? Seems like most head out early June.
Also plan the drive a 2006 40' Holiday Rambler PDQ, would taking a spare tire be adviseable?
Old 06-09-2020, 12:08 AM   #122

Sure you could leave mid-July for 6 weeks or so. Things start closing the end of August/first part of Sept.

However, make sure you read up on the Canadian border sites as to crossing during the virus. Right not you can't stop and sitesee in Canada & the Yukon. You have to drive right through which is a shame because there's lots of beauty to be had. If Denali Nat'l Park is on your list you need to check it's web site, also, for any limitations. Same for glacier day cruises which is a must. Unless you think you wouldn't go again in the future I'd really recommend skipping the trip this year.

We didn't carry a spare but we had put all new tires on in Oregon (no tax) before crossing. It just depends how you feel about your tires and their age. If you have a spare and have the room, add it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:27 AM   #123

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexfarley View Post
Hi Everyone, after reading over some of the posts I was wondering if leaving Northern California mid July and planning to spend 6-8 weeks sounds doable? Seems like most head out early June.
Also plan the drive a 2006 40' Holiday Rambler PDQ, would taking a spare tire be adviseable?
Until something changes you are not going to be allowed to travel through Canada unless you are an Alaska resident or have evidence of a job waiting for you. On arrival you'll have to register with the state, be tested for Covid-19 within 72 hrs. and self quarantine for 14 days.
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:38 AM   #124

Alaskan Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Newsomes View Post
Until something changes you are not going to be allowed to travel through Canada unless you are an Alaska resident or have evidence of a job waiting for you. On arrival you'll have to register with the state, be tested for Covid-19 within 72 hrs. and self quarantine for 14 days.
Thanks for the information. I talked to the Canadian border contol and he advised me that the restrictions should be lifted on June 21st. I`ll keep my fingers crossed!
Old 06-13-2020, 12:10 PM   #125

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexfarley View Post
Thanks for the information. I talked to the Canadian border contol and he advised me that the restrictions should be lifted on June 21st. I`ll keep my fingers crossed!
Apparently some people moving from AZ to AK didn’t follow the rules and are now in quarantine in Golden, BC. Not sure if they’re the same people who told a server at a restaurant in Banff they were on holiday on way to AK.

Please follow the rules to keep everyone safe.
Old 06-13-2020, 12:22 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeWillakers View Post
Apparently some people moving from AZ to AK didn’t follow the rules and are now in quarantine in Golden, BC. Not sure if they’re the same people who told a server at a restaurant in Banff they were on holiday on way to AK.

Please follow the rules to keep everyone safe.
People in Banff, were from TX. RCMP were called on those individuals, as of this AM , I haven't seen a follow up .

Look for the border restrictions to be tightened and extended , as the second wave, of infections, gets going in the USA.

Tags
alaska, travel