Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #43

We are planning on going in 2021.
Trucker 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #44

Watching
Trucker 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:38 PM   #45

We did the Fantasy “Alaska Your Way” tour in 2015. Great concept but the wagon master was an idiot. This tour didn’t have many planned activities so you didn’t feel pressured to do everything. Nice not to have to make all your own reservations or worry about issues on the trip. Didn’t like having to move every few days. Met some great people and are still friends with some. Some of the campgrounds were great and some had major issues like bad power.

Want to go back and will do it solo or with a small group of 3 to 5 RVs. Will plan to stay in one place for at least a week or more and make day trips instead of moving every 3 days.
Old 09-13-2020, 03:58 PM   #46

Alaska trip

We went with Fantasy RV tours last year. Did 61 days in Canada and Alaska with 24 rigs. We made friends for life and had a blast. Check our fantasyrvtours.com. We loved it so much we became tour ambassadors also. Feel free to text or email with any questions. 910-880-1818.
Lighting bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:04 PM   #47

We joined a small caravan through AdventureTrek out of Grapevine TX.

There were just 15 RVs scheduled, including the Wagon master and Tail gunner. On party couldn't make it for medical reasons and another had planned for only half the trip.

We got to know everyone and subsequently have had a number or "reunions". The friendships we developed have become long-lasting, presently staying in touch with nine of them on a regular basis. In just the past three years we've visited with si of those couples.

Greatest trip we've taken ... and we've traveled just shy f 95,000 miles and visited every state at least twice (Hawaii by air as the bridge was out and the Alaska panhandle by ship as there are no roads to get there).

Whatever route a caravan or individual odyssey to Alaska takes, your take you through some magnificant landscapes in Alberta and British Columbia.

Recommend a caravan!
Escape42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #48

My wife and I had planned on doing Alaska during the summer of 2020 but as everyone knows that was not possible. We decided to do the trip on our own due to the following reasons:
1. In talking to Fantasy Tours we realized we would be on a schedule very similar to a cruise. We would get a sampling of some areas but would not be able to stay longer if it were an area that we enjoyed.
2. We wanted to have the flexibility to go at our own pace. As mentioned above if we found an area we really enjoyed we would stay longer.
3. And the most important reason, we have another couple to travel with. If we had to do it on our own we would have most likely gone with Fantasy Tours.
We are now planning on going during the summer of 2021 if the borders are open.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:26 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoso View Post
Does the ferry allow you to take a small travel trailer ? My thought was ferry north and then drive south. Best of both worlds maybe .
Yes, the ferry takes everything from semi-trailers to pickup campers. As others have said, it is the Alaska Marine HIGHWAY.

So the ferry hauls everything needed for the stores in all those tiny villages on those big islands that bound the Inside Passage, as well as the passengers traveling to those villages. We have taken the ferry on multiple routes, with and without our trailer, and it is a great way to travel. The only caveat is, if you travel with pets, you must leave them in your RV and cannot access your vehicle except when you are in port.
Fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:33 PM   #50

Absolutely depends on your RV'ing preferences, imo.
Wife & I have done it from Maryland to Fairbanks, Anchorage, Homer on two occasions just the two of us. 2005 on motorcycles and 2015 in our 2004 Winnie 24F.

We enjoy doing our own pace as well as taking advantage of the MANY boondocking opportunities that begin west of the Mississippi river, which only get more plentiful the farther north & west you go.

Roads are all good (the road to Chicken is doable if you are slow & careful, as is to the Arctic Circle) and fuel no problem other than $ in Canada, as long as you stay aware of where the next fuel is & your fuel gauge.

I recommend picking a different way going north and coming back south into/out of Canada to Alaska as the scenery is different and all of it breathtaking.

You'll never forget it regardless of what you choose!
JD4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:34 PM   #51

we're going too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcosdad View Post
I have done Alaska on my own, and really enjoyed it. After going on a Fantasy caravan through Eastern Canada, we decided to try them for Alaska. We're signed up for the 61 day tour next summer. I think that the tours give one much more insight into things that might not be discovered on your own. At this stage of my life, I like having others do the heavy lifting and planning for me. You do have to pay for it however.
We are signed up for that trip also. Leaving June 14th
Tjzfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:35 PM   #52

What is they say about caravan-ing, three hours for a gas stop and two hours for a bathroom stop LOL.

I'd stick with a cruise if you need togetherness, planned activities and someone beside you at all times and you want someone to offload the planning, cooking, etc. On the other hand, go to Alaska alone to get away from everyone but good luck with that one because you'll find everyone is there once you arrive.

Heading out with a caravan you've defined your destiny and you are stuck with it, good or bad. Just like a sea cruise.
Don Juane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:37 PM   #53

We are also going next year on the 61 day caravan. Leaving June 14th
Tjzfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:56 PM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi. We did Alaska with HHRVC. Great tour and a lot less money then Fantasy. Just $50.00 to join and a lot of other activities(rallies and other caravans and get togethers). Stanley

2021 Tiffin Allegro Bus 35cp, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:12 PM   #55

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi,

We did the caravan. Wouldn't do it on my own. Our tailgunner helped 2 loners who couldn't make contact because of the lack of cell phone access. They had started to walk to town and left her behind with the coach. Our group got them help.
Not worth the trouble, the price of security was worth it.
fantasyisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:13 PM   #56

Freightliner Owners Club
Wife and I went on our own in 2019. We had a very enjoyable time and did the things we wanted to do. Check out our trip at (grossienet.blogspot.com). It starts in the month of November 2019 - we travelled in June, July and August - but the blog did not get done until later in the year. I also have a lot of video of the roads - very large files.

Tags
alaska, alaska trip