Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:48 AM   #99

Winnebago Owners Club
We did the trip on own in 2017. Had a brake down 50 miles south of Calgary on a Sunday afternoon. Had it towed to Frieghtliner service center. Took them 4 days and $6500 Canadian dollars to get back on the road. Fortunately our service contract covered including hotel and meals except for $500 deductible. We had chance to spend a few days checking out Calgary
Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #100

Alaska.

Do everyone a favor and don’t stop I. The middle of the road to look at animals that has been the scariest part of my trips. As they often do it on a blind corner. Even worse when you get one stopped in both directions
bill.sahlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:28 PM   #101

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excursion04 View Post
We did the trip on own in 2017. Had a brake down 50 miles south of Calgary on a Sunday afternoon. Had it towed to Frieghtliner service center. Took them 4 days and $6500 Canadian dollars to get back on the road. Fortunately our service contract covered including hotel and meals except for $500 deductible. We had chance to spend a few days checking out Calgary
Be glad the breakdown was not in say Dawson City. The tow would have been much farther and $$$$$.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:36 PM   #102

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill.sahlman View Post
Do everyone a favor and don’t stop I. The middle of the road to look at animals that has been the scariest part of my trips. As they often do it on a blind corner. Even worse when you get one stopped in both directions
One day on the Cassiar Highway we had a grizzly bear and two cubs run across the road directly in front of us. Only time I've had to do an emergency stop while towing the 5th wheeler, burning rubber type of stop. Otherwise I would have hit at least two of them. There no traffic in the area at the time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-05-2020, 10:50 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
One day on the Cassiar Highway we had a grizzly bear and two cubs run across the road directly in front of us. Only time I've had to do an emergency stop while towing the 5th wheeler, burning rubber type of stop. Otherwise I would have hit at least two of them. There no traffic in the area at the time.
Our last Alaska trip we were on a stretch of highway with no other vehicle in sight. Came up on two men on bicycles stopped on the shoulder. They were watching a bear coming out of the woods.
I stopped behind the cyclists, as the bear came ever closer I told the men to use our 5er to block them from the bear and if it continued coming closer to jump in our back seat. When those guys got in our truck they were both sweating. The bear walked around my rig and left, after about 10 minutes the men thanked us and continued cycling away.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:05 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Our last Alaska trip we were on a stretch of highway with no other vehicle in sight. Came up on two men on bicycles stopped on the shoulder. They were watching a bear coming out of the woods.
I stopped behind the cyclists, as the bear came ever closer I told the men to use our 5er to block them from the bear and if it continued coming closer to jump in our back seat. When those guys got in our truck they were both sweating. The bear walked around my rig and left, after about 10 minutes the men thanked us and continued cycling away.
There was a video posted on another site showing a bicyclist pedaling as fast as he could and a grizzly chasing him. It showed the grizzly finally stopping the chase. Lucky guy. The same thing happened in Anchorage but the guy wasn't so lucky. Bikes and bears don't mix.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:04 AM   #105

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We keep two cans of bear spray just inside the RV door. When anywhere in bear country we'd grab them as we left the RV. Had another set in the door pockets of the truck. Never have needed them, yet. Best is to stay out of bear trouble but always be ready for the unexpected bear.

One night opening the door to go outside there was a black bear sitting less than three feet away. Made a hasty retreat back inside. You never know...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-06-2020, 08:34 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
We keep two cans of bear spray just inside the RV door. When anywhere in bear country we'd grab them as we left the RV. Had another set in the door pockets of the truck. Never have needed them, yet. Best is to stay out of bear trouble but always be ready for the unexpected bear.

One night opening the door to go outside there was a black bear sitting less than three feet away. Made a hasty retreat back inside. You never know...
I quickly learned to peek outside before opening the door after I opened the door to see a Moose staring at me from about 10' away.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:59 PM   #107

does size matter

I've enjoyed all the responses and comments, took plenty of notes. My question is: I have a 45' rig and tow a jeep Wrangler, would I be limited due to size at some of the typical RV parks? I don't have a problem and many times prefer boondocking. thx all.
KFed 90-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:16 AM   #108

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill.sahlman View Post

Those pesky critters have a nasty habit of disregarding the animal crossing signs in safe places!!!
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:23 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFed 90-10 View Post
I've enjoyed all the responses and comments, took plenty of notes. My question is: I have a 45' rig and tow a jeep Wrangler, would I be limited due to size at some of the typical RV parks? I don't have a problem and many times prefer boondocking. thx all.
We're 43' with a Trailblazer as toad, so close to as long as you are. I'd say we can found a pull through long enough without unhooking for the night probably 90% of the time. The Alcan and Alaska in general seemed setup for large rigs.

If unhooking, the only issue about size we've had was a few places like Homer and Denali National Park proper. Denali has large enough sites, but not as many as smaller sites. Good thing about Denali, plenty of campgrounds outside the entrance that easily fit big rigs without reservations.

We went without any reservations during our trip and Homer was the only place that we couldn't stay as long as we wanted. We were only turned away a few times, and all but once our second choice campground in the area worked out.

That one time was along the Alcan. We had planned to stay at a small native settlement for a day, but they were in the middle of a summer festival and both campgrounds were full. No issue getting another campground a couple hours further up the Alcan.

If you're the type that reserves ahead of time, you'll probably never have an issue.

Steve

Tags
alaska, alaska trip