Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-12-2023, 02:35 PM   #15

How does the January weather down there compare to the SW AZ desert? I'm feeling the need for more warmth next year.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2023, 04:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
How does the January weather down there compare to the SW AZ desert? I'm feeling the need for more warmth next year.

The weather gets warmer the farther south you go. Ensinada is just like san diego. I hope you dont want WARMER than AZ?
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 06:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
I hope you dont want WARMER than AZ?
I burned a lot of propane for night heat and wore a lot of daytime jackets this January and February in SW AZ. Yeah, I'd like warmer! I'm happiest in the 80's and 90's. I can always move north as it warms up.

Old 03-14-2023, 08:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
I burned a lot of propane for night heat and wore a lot of daytime jackets this January and February in SW AZ. Yeah, I'd like warmer! I'm happiest in the 80's and 90's. I can always move north as it warms up.
This was an unusually cold winter in AZ. (Mod Edit) I dont think you will find a warmer spot than Yuma in the winter. If you really want heat stay until the summer to enjoy 118 and 50 mph winds.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 11:43 AM   #19

If you've only been to AZ desert one time and you picked this year, it was an abnormal winter.... just like the whole country has had abnormal weather. Give it another try before you give up.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 01:20 PM   #20

Winter warmth in Mexico

We live on a boat in Mexico, so our experience is not exactly the same, but friends who have spent many years on their boat in La Paz have complained that this year has been colder than most.

I think you'll need to travel mainland Mexico to stay warm in the winter months. We are currently in Mazatlán and it's just starting to get comfortable -- low 60s overnight and upper 70s daytime. In the past, when we were based out of La Paz, we always headed to the Puerto Vallarta area in the winter, about 300 miles south of Mazatlán.

We will be heading for Puerto Vallarta in a couple of weeks. I know that marina slips are extremely hard to come by. I'm sorry, I can't speak to the availability of RV parks in Mexico as we have yet to get our RV.
2023 Coach House 271XLFR on order
Terraboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 02:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If you've only been to AZ desert one time and you picked this year, it was an abnormal winter.... just like the whole country has had abnormal weather. Give it another try before you give up.
This is my fourth year of four-five months at Q, and this year was a bit disillusioning. Coming from Minnesota, I want HOT! I've hardly broken out the shorts this year. Past years were different, but this year is going to make it harder to start out on that 1800 mile drive next year.

But I bet I will anyway. Minnesota in January is no picnic for my old bones.

Old 03-14-2023, 02:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraboat View Post
We are currently in Mazatlán and it's just starting to get comfortable -- low 60s overnight and upper 70s daytime.
That pretty much answers my question. Same temps right now in SW AZ, and this is finally a warm week.

Old 03-19-2023, 02:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsmith51 View Post
We are thinking of traveling the Baja peninsula next January. Seeking suggestions on good guidebooks or sites about RVing there. Also looking for suggestions on joining a caravan there - things are a bit uncertain with Mexican crime at the moment. Thanks in advance for your help!
there is a US travel advisory for Baja, read it here and be safe.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...a%20California
TonyinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 02:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Here is a thought I just had. I read this forum a lot and have read about traveling to Mexico.
In the US, we dial 9-1-1 for emergencies.
I wonder what one does while in Mexico.
I have seen nothing on this as of yet.
9-1-1 works in Mexico too.
Old 03-19-2023, 02:50 PM   #25

Baja Mexico Suggestions

Check with the state department-https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html
As others have stated, crime against American citizens is now a problem. My Mexican daughter-in-law's family's visits to Mexico have stopped ever since they were stopped, robbed, and threatened.

Don't chance becoming a statistic.
Go somewhere else.....
Roadgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 02:51 PM   #26

Just go

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsmith51 View Post
We are thinking of traveling the Baja peninsula next January. Seeking suggestions on good guidebooks or sites about RVing there. Also looking for suggestions on joining a caravan there - things are a bit uncertain with Mexican crime at the moment. Thanks in advance for your help!
We did the Baja last year 2021/22 it was great, we crossed the border at Mexicali East with our first stop in San Filipe (Pete’s Camp)
2hrs from the border.
Next stop was Gonzaga Bay another 2hrs or so, then to Guerrero Negro about 4 hrs Hwy 5 was great when you hit the #1 be prepared for slower driving and narrow roads. There was so many great places to stop and we never had any issues, lots of places to fuel up and if you do break down there will be plenty of Mexican folks to help you out. We ended up at Baja Sunrise RV Park in Los Barriles just be prepared for the winds as they are plentiful but all in all it was good. It was our first time driving a Motorhome and first time driving in Mexico. This year we came to Rincon Guayabitos
Shawncam57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 03:01 PM   #27

A year ago we did 1,100 miles all within Mexico between the states of Sonora and Baja (north) in a 40' DP towing.

The crime rates in these states are lower than those of CA and AZ. Bad things can happen anywhere, but FWIW we never feel unsafe in Mexico. Confused by signage sometimes, but never unsafe. And you may be surprised at the sheer number of north Americans you will see, all constantly present up and down Baja.

You will go through checkpoints in places. Have MX insurance, FMM and passport handy if requested.

The biggest challenge is having enough room to meet oncoming semi-trucks once past San Felipe or Ensenada. Mirror to mirror smacks are not uncommon.

Helpful phone Apps: iOverlander (great for checkpoint locations) and iGoMX
Facebook groups: 'Talk Baja' and 'On The Road in Mexico'.
Old 03-19-2023, 03:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globeflyer2 View Post
And you may be surprised at the sheer number of north Americans you will see, all constantly present up and down Baja.
Considering that Mexico is in North America, I don't know why you'd be surprised to see North Americans in Mexico. I haven't been myself but I'd assume nearly everyone there is North American.