RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:44 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
Thanks for all of your reply's. I have no time limits so I plan to stay all summer. Plan on doing a lot of fishing but no hunting. Already have the Milepost so will pick up Churches book, thanks. Called last week and the summer schedule and pricing isn't out yet. Probably 12k or more with a cabin. The ferry sounds like a fun experience and not having to worry about customs twice is a plus (limits and guns). As long as the border is open I will be going.
The challenge that you have (right now at least) is that you can't stay in Canada for any length of time. You basically have to run for the Alaska border and you can't dally. Otherwise you are at risk for fines or other issues like deportation. Now I realize that your timing is still some ways away and hopefully this won't be the case for you but a good part of the fun on the drive up is taking your time and enjoying the journey. The Alaska Hwy officially starts in Dawson Creek BC and a good half of the Hwy is in Canada.
Driving like hell for 3 days to get to the Alaska Border from the lower 48 is hardly a great way to start a vacation and if this is a once in a life time trip, you would be missing quite a bit.

No one knows how long this border closure stuff may continue and hopefully a vaccine will come along sometime in the New Year and put this stuff away but I would also keep a postponement of the trip as a possible option. If this is a bucket list trip, you want to make the most of it and I think there would be an awful lot of things you would have to give up under the current conditions.

The ferry is an option but like others have posted, it is expensive. I see it go past my place every few days. It has been the only passenger ship going past all year as the waterways have been closed to all other cruise ships. I would also consider the ramifications of putting yourself in a confined environment with 100's of others if the virus is still raging. Much like airplanes, cruise vessels are probably not the best place to be for extended periods of time at the moment.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2020, 03:49 PM   #16

Enjoy the planning and research for this phenomenal trip OP That is part and parcel of the whole fun of the package and it's not about the destination it's always about making the journey count

As for whether the borders will be open or closed, all we can all do is plan for a future, and whether it'll be in your case May 2021 or May 2022, then so be it. Some things are totally beyond any of our controls or comprehensions.

For now, we are just arm chair surfing through others blogs and trips, drooling somewhat but planning many trips for when things DO get back to normalish times again. If it goes on too long we just might have to abstain from the zip lining, paragliding, sky diving, bungee jumping and you get the idea. Oh if only hubby and I were still young and fit to do all that nowadays LOL. Couple decades too late sadly.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:01 PM   #17

By mid May CGs & touristy things are just getting into full swing. Around mid May is the spring breakup on the Yukon & the ferry gets operating at Dawson City.

At the other side of summer it is about when to be out of the North & ahead of winter which can slam down in a hurry. You don't want to be caught. It will only get worse.

After Labour Day things are shutting down & the North gets left to those who live there to squeeze the last out of the summer season.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
This year was to be my retirement trip to Alaska. I wailed at our property in OR for the boarder to open but never happened. I want to start my trip early but not to early. I'm not sure if we will drive both ways or take the ferry from Bellingham to? If driving there it's easy to wait if there is a late winter. Have to book very early if taking the ferry and changing dates is probably not possible. I don't mind the cold weather but don't want to have a problem driving around because of to much snow. What is the earliest time to book the ferry ? Thanks for your help.
Chiming in to expound on other replies. If for no other reason, there is so much to say about traveling the route. June through August offer the best opportunities to view wildlife, scenery, and commercial tourist attractions. Travelers, in earlier efforts, risk icy road conditions and alpine snow pack at higher elevations. Waiting past mid-september to start south - travelers risk being trapped in blizzard conditions that sometimes continue to deteriorate. Leaving the rig stranded in some remote and precarious location. Nothing controversial in those comments.

My main point is the trip offers so much potential for enjoying truly spectacular scenery, viewing wildlife, absorbing history, and experiencing an engineering marvel, I wouldn't consider driving it with the current restrictions. Thousand mile days make enjoying the trip impossible.

Driving the highway both ways is actually recommended. Spring vegetation, in its infancy, is totally unlike what is represented in late summer. For those who enjoy traveling, the Alaska Highway is never boring.
Taildragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taildragger View Post
June through August offer the best opportunities to view wildlife, scenery, and commercial tourist attractions. Travelers, in earlier efforts, risk icy road conditions and alpine snow pack at higher elevations. Waiting past mid-september to start south - travelers risk being trapped in blizzard conditions that sometimes continue to deteriorate. Leaving the rig stranded in some remote and precarious location. Nothing controversial in those comments.

My main point is the trip offers so much potential for enjoying truly spectacular scenery, viewing wildlife, absorbing history, and experiencing an engineering marvel, I wouldn't consider driving it with the current restrictions. Thousand mile days make enjoying the trip impossible.
I agree 100%! The earlier reply where someone said wait until post Labor day until "crowds" die down as someone who's been up there during the peak season during the Solstice yeah you do see tourists but we're not talking Cape Cod on the 4th of July crowds here people. It's still easy to find quiet loneliness real quick even during peak season. I live just outside of the entrance to Rocky Mt NP and while we were in Denali on 4th of July several years ago we were amazed at how quiet it was compared to Rocky at the same time of year. I'm sure the residents of Talketna and Healy think it's a bustle but it's all relative. Funniest thing we encountered was getting stuck behind a Dually in Denali NP with Texas Plates going 10mph under (this is a daily occurrence for us in the summer) and in unison we said "I thought we were trying to get away from Texas Tourists"!

One of future vacations we'd love to do is take an extended trip up there. I'd really like to tow a rig up there for the entire season and work remotely and fly back for any critical in person stuff and let my SO and son stay up there for the summer, definitely something I'd like to do in the next 2-3 years before he has school or sports commitments. I definitely will wait until this COVID mess is behind us though.
Rogue_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:29 AM   #20

If you go to Alaska too early in the summer the weather is OK but the roads are still damaged from the winter and the repair crews are busy resurfacing. That means you're driving through miles of mud. Expect at least one broken windshield from trucks flinging rocks. I would say middle of July is the best time since the roads are mostly repaired by then.

Make sure you start with good tires. The chip-sealed roads will eat them up.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska