Originally Posted by 10 fan
This year was to be my retirement trip to Alaska. I wailed at our property in OR for the boarder to open but never happened. I want to start my trip early but not to early. I'm not sure if we will drive both ways or take the ferry from Bellingham to? If driving there it's easy to wait if there is a late winter. Have to book very early if taking the ferry and changing dates is probably not possible. I don't mind the cold weather but don't want to have a problem driving around because of to much snow. What is the earliest time to book the ferry ? Thanks for your help.
Chiming in to expound on other replies. If for no other reason, there is so much to say about traveling the route. June through August offer the best opportunities to view wildlife, scenery, and commercial tourist attractions. Travelers, in earlier efforts, risk icy road conditions and alpine snow pack at higher elevations. Waiting past mid-september to start south - travelers risk being trapped in blizzard conditions that sometimes continue to deteriorate. Leaving the rig stranded in some remote and precarious location. Nothing controversial in those comments.
My main point is the trip offers so much potential for enjoying truly spectacular scenery, viewing wildlife, absorbing history, and experiencing an engineering marvel, I wouldn't consider driving it with the current restrictions. Thousand mile days make enjoying the trip impossible.
Driving the highway both ways is actually recommended. Spring vegetation, in its infancy, is totally unlike what is represented in late summer. For those who enjoy traveling, the Alaska Highway is never boring.