Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-03-2023, 02:38 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Campgrounds - Fundy National Park of Canada, Alma, NB

We'll be traveling with friends this summer to the Canadian Maritimes, and plan to spend some of that time camping at Fundy National Park. Reservations for the Canadian Nat. Park CG's can be made starting March 13. There are three main CG areas at Fundy NP (Chignecto, Cannontown and Headquarters) with hundreds of potential sights, so I'm hoping that getting in to the race on the 13th will land us a couple of sites. Question is, do any of you have past experiences camping at Fundy NP; and if you have, is any one of the three camping areas above one that you would try to reserve in first before the other two? I have all the site data to be sure that our MH and our friends' TT will be accommodated, but I'm curious if there are any other characteristics of each area that really make you want to reserve there first before the others. Thanks in advance for any feedback. We're really looking forward to this trip.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2023, 05:55 PM   #2

Keep in mind there will be several RV caravans to the CA Maritimes this summer. They normally make advance bookings as soon as the system opens for the year.

We went with a caravan in 2014, and it was not unusual for us to be with 2 other caravans in a CG or RV park and the CG was completely full. However we didn't stay in the Fundy park proper.
If you have definite dates locked-in, i'd book as soon as the reservation window opens.
Same with the ferry system if you plan to use them, book ASAP. And yes they physically measure each RV for total length.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 05:45 PM   #3
jrs

Didn't camp at the NP.... Suggest doing a raft ride on the tidal change. We did it via Fundy Tidal Bore Adventures based in Robinsons, NL
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 05:54 PM   #4

I'm heading there in the middle of Sept. this year. Would I need reservations at that time of year? Hopefully not as I hate planning a long trip and have to stick to a schedule...
Old 02-06-2023, 06:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
I'm heading there in the middle of Sept. this year. Would I need reservations at that time of year? Hopefully not as I hate planning a long trip and have to stick to a schedule...

Organized caravans are normally back in the states by Sep. 1. I think you'll be OK without reservations, just stop early each afternoon of travel days.

EDIT: I forgot, you might run into Canada CG's closing for the winter after Sep.1.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:59 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
If you stay at Headquarters you have a short walk into Alma/down to the bay. You can grab some lobster right off the warf. They’ll steam it right in front of you, crack it open and put it in a cardboard box with some butter for you to eat on the spot.

Chigneto is “up the hill”, so you’d want to drive down. I’ve stayed in both, multiple times. Several 45’ class A’s were in headquarters where we were. Pull through sites and 50 amp power iirc.

While there, it’s a short drive to hopewell rocks, which is a gotta see. You can walk out at low tide and kayak around at high tide. There’s lots of great hikes.

Agree with previous poster about a boat ride in the tidal bore. It’s well worth it.

On your way out there or on your way back, depending how you split your days, there’s a KOA in Sussex NB that’s connected to a drive-in theatre. It’s kinda fun and nostalgic. But the absolute highlight of that area is an authentic German restaurant run by the grandchildren of the original German settler to the area. The food is fantastic and you’ll think you’re somewhere in Bavaria. Plus, the butcher shop he opened is still there and it’s worth picking some stuff up for the rest of your trip.

The east coast is awesome. I hope you enjoy your trip - and yes - always reservations regardless of timing. It’s big spaces between campgrounds and parks.

If you want more info on NB or even the Gaspe region of Quebec and some spots to stay, just message me.
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:31 AM   #7

Looks to me like reservations for Fundy NP open up on March 17th.

See: https://parks.canada.ca/voyage-travel/reserve
Sunrise Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 07:28 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Success booking two weeks at Bay of Fundy NP

I thought I would add this note to the thread. We are on a Caravan through the Canadian Maritimes this year which ends on August 23rd. We saw the good rating for Cannontown Bay of Fundy National Park and thought it might be a good spot to spend a couple of weeks following the end of our Caravan. If you drill down in the NP website you can see a good description of the campsites. We were online when registration began and were ultimately able to book two full weeks. We were able to get the site we targeted when it became available about 15 or 20 minutes after the registration window opened but only because my wife persisted and tried again.

For some reason, they did not make the site we had originally targeted available when registration was first opened. This was a little frustrating. We ultimately scored the site we wanted but the registration process was a little flukey.

We chose a site fit for our 40 foot Class A--this information is given on the website. For those interested in this NP, I recommend spending time on the website researching the site descriptions and picking out sites which fit your needs.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:18 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I should have posted this back in March, but on the morning of the 17th I was able to book side-by-side sites 6 and 7 in Chignecto CG for our 4-night stays. I was in the online waiting area 30 minutes before official opening with thousands of other campers and when my turn came up was able to land two of the top campsite picks I had scoped out. We're very excited for our upcoming trip and I've noted the above recommended places to see / things to do while we are there. Can't wait to make our way there. Thanks for your collective help.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, campground, canada, national