Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:17 AM   #1

canada border crossing

We are planning a trip to Alaska. We have a class A diesel pusher and do not have a supplemental braking system on our toad. Has anyone had a problem crossing the border into Canada without such a system?
ppworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2018, 07:24 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Crossed into the Maritime provinces last summer. They didn't ask me anything, really easy going north.

Coming back was tougher. Had a couple of limes - Moscow Mule anyone? - and they came into my fridge and confiscated them.

Overall, no biggie.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:30 AM   #3
Community Administrator

They may not ask at the border , however if it’s a law to have them while driving there ( I don’t know if it is ) , you may find yourself liable in case of an accident. I’d research this a little more if I were you.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppworld View Post
We are planning a trip to Alaska. We have a class A diesel pusher and do not have a supplemental braking system on our toad. Has anyone had a problem crossing the border into Canada without such a system?
Border crossing might be the least of your problems with respect to Aux braking for your toad. Some will check and others seem to not care.
Aside from the legal requirements, you are about to embark on a long and sometimes gruelling trip that takes its toll on equipment. Many will tell you they have pulled their toad for ages and never had an issue but you are headed into some fairly mountainous terrain which will put your towing equipment (and RV for that matter) to the ultimate test.
I strongly suggest you have all of your towing equipment thoroughly inspected prior to your departure and by no means go without a good Aux braking system c/w emergency brake away capability.

This link will give you the BC towing regulations. Each Province and State will vary and it is your responsibility to comply with each. Have a Safe Trip.

https://www.travel-british-columbia....camping-rving/
Old 01-26-2018, 08:11 PM   #5

Plates from Montana or other LLC states seem to draw attention at the border crossings, both ways. They assume your into "cheating" and don't like that.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:26 PM   #6

Tried to edit but couldn't

This is what several friends with LLCs have told me.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:01 PM   #7

Might want to avoid Idaho, I believe 1800# is the limit on toad without braking system. Google AAA towing regs or others for some reading. Good luck-I wouldn’t tow without supplemental braking.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:12 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I personally think we are all missing the big picture here. Who in their right mind would tow a vehicle without an aux braking system???????????????
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:34 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
canada border crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
I personally think we are all missing the big picture here. Who in their right mind would tow a vehicle without an aux braking system???????????????

While I agree with your statement , you might be surprised .. I believe it’s a far larger % than you might believe. A casual walk around the campground at departure time and asking about braking systems ( I was in the market at the time ) yielded my opinion.

When we crossed they weren’t interested in the equipment only what I was or wasn’t bringing into the country.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:50 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
As others have said, a braking system is the law in many places. I have an older model Brake Buddy that works great, was inexpensive and gives me peace of mind.
That said, my brother who is sort of, well maybe pretty much a full on, redneck, pulls a 2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara without any braking system. He travels in BC, And all the Western states. I even offered to lend him my BB, but it's futile.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:00 AM   #11

Drove there from Minnesota last summer. It is the law in Canada, Alaska and most States. I would not tow anything over 3,000 lbs without breaks. If you are involved in any moving violation, not even your fault, you will be inspected on the spot. No breaking system = huge fines and most likely legal charges. Plus if you hurt or kill someone when it is 100% avoidable, you would have to live with that.
Get a breaking system, worth it....
samschudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:28 AM   #12

In response to the original question, I doubt either the CDN or US border service agencies are interested in enforcing traffic regulations. It's the law enforcement traffic agencies after you cross the border who might show interest in your braking set-up.
I suggest googling the BC towing regulations.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, alaska, alaska trip, canada