Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:40 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Canadian Maritime to Newfoundland

We are planning a trip from Maine to the Canadian Maritimes in 40' MH with toad, including PEI and Newfoundland (have ferry booked for both) mid August to end of September and are looking for tips on those must see places, things to do in Maritimes, Newfoundland, any assistance will be appreciated!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2017, 05:02 AM   #2

The Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island is a very scenic drive. I've only done it by motorcycle, enjoyed the trip very much. There are campgrounds at the north and south ends of the loop, but I can't vouch for them. They seem to get good reviews.
Nova Scotia in general is very nice, people are very friendly. Mostly rustic and rural, with Halifax thrown in for the urban experience.
Ferries available to/from Maine and Newfoundland.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:20 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
The Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island is a very scenic drive. I've only done it by motorcycle, enjoyed the trip very much. There are campgrounds at the north and south ends of the loop, but I can't vouch for them. They seem to get good reviews.
Nova Scotia in general is very nice, people are very friendly. Mostly rustic and rural, with Halifax thrown in for the urban experience.
Ferries available to/from Maine and Newfoundland.
Do the Cabot trail in the toad, not the RV. You will enjoy the scenery that way. In the RV your eyes will be riveted to the road which will require all of your attention.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:34 AM   #4

Newfoundland

Hi,

for NewFoundLand, I'd suggest going to the following:

• Gros Morne National Park
  • Western Brook Pond (take the boat tour)
  • Norris Point
  • Lomond
  • Twillingate (New World Island - no ferry required)
  • King's Point & Rattling Brook
  • Highway 330 near Musgrave Harbour - ocean boondocking
  • Terra Nova National Park
I did not have the time to go all the way to St. John's but that would also be a recommended destination. I also did not drive up the north peninsula but some historical viking sites and fishing villages to see.

And, like the others, the Cabot Trail is excellent but use a toad.

Enjoy your trip and be safe - watch out for those moose at any time of the day but particularly in the morning or evening hours.

Cheers,

Steve
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:56 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Canadian Maritime to Newfoundland

Thank you for the responses. We did the Cabot Trail in 2001, we're looking for Bullwinkle, but only saw Rocky[emoji27], will have to try again in toad (saw lots of moose in Alaska though). Have Gros Morne and Lomond on list, thinking about northern peninsula, but wondering if 200+ miles each way are worth it. Thinking we will stay in Gander and do a day trip to St John's, but again seems like a long day trip, might be better to stay there.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #6

DrDave I think you are likely staying in Rocky Harbour NL while in Gros Morne. There is an RV Park further up the Northern Peninsula in Hawkes Bay which would put you less than 140 miles from L'anse aux Meadows. We stay there a couple to three weeks every year and it is comfortable enough. Has 4 or 5 50 amp sites, water but no sewer at site. There is a dumping station on site. It would be a long drive from Rocky Harbour to L'anse aux Meadows (even though only 225 miles its slow) but if the park in Hawkes Bay is open when you are there it might offer a suitable alternative. At L'anse aux Meadows they have a completely restored Viking settlement from over 1,000 years ago. Is worth seeing and I believe they operate till Sept 16. Also while in Lomond you maybe will want to get over to Trout River. They have some unique geological formations they call the Tablelands. As previously noted Western Brook is a must see. There is a golf course near St Pauls that provides some of the most scenic views anywhere.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:58 PM   #7

Hi Dave,

I have 4 videos of my trip to NFLD. Here's the first one:

https://youtu.be/hCMG_krNI_A

The Tablelands are in one of these 4 videos - not sure which one. The walk to the viewing platform is relatively easy and is near some water falls. You can go beyond the viewing platform but the terrain requires sturdy footwear.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 05-02-2017, 08:13 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubastevee View Post
Hi Dave,

I have 4 videos of my trip to NFLD. Here's the first one:

https://youtu.be/hCMG_krNI_A

The Tablelands are in one of these 4 videos - not sure which one. The walk to the viewing platform is relatively easy and is near some water falls. You can go beyond the viewing platform but the terrain requires sturdy footwear.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve, WOW, thank you. I think we will have to at least double our time in NL!

Dave
Old 05-02-2017, 08:23 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
What time of year was the video made?
Old 05-03-2017, 05:32 PM   #10

Hi Dave,

the trip was the last week in July and the first two in August. First day was foggy and rainy but cleared up by the end of the day and the remainder of the trip had good weather. Comfortable temps too.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 05-27-2017, 09:03 PM   #11

Check out this earlier thread on Newfoundland.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/newfo...-292733-2.html
I left a pretty good list of suggestions there, too. "The Rock" is bigger than you might expect, roads are less than highways, so travel takes longer. We were there a month - just about enough time for everything we saw/visited. Feel free to message me since we're from NH and your in MA, right? Similar route. ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #12

We toured the CA maritimes in '14 with a SMART (former military) caravan.

One should not miss attending the Royal Tattoo at Halifax, NS. It is entertaining, and moving. I rate this as one of the best events I have ever witnessed The program saluting fallen RCMP officers is a somber and well-delivered program. For more information email: info@nstattoo.ca or web: Home - Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo

While in Canada, have a Rickards for me, it's not sold in the U.S.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip