Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-29-2022, 12:19 PM   #15

We spend the winters in Mexico and have Verizon's "North American" plan that includes full telephone service in Canada, USA, and Mexico as well as including a limited but adequate amount of roaming data. We have friends who have similar plans from ATT and T-Mobile.
rjwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2022, 05:24 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The T-Mobile Magenta Max 55+ is a great deal, if you are over 55. 40gb of hotspot data/month. Unlimited phone data, calls, texts. Covers US, CA, & MX.

Plus the free NetFlix is a great add on.

Sent from my SM-G973U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 07-02-2022, 08:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
The T-Mobile Magenta Max 55+ is a great deal, if you are over 55. 40gb of hotspot data/month. Unlimited phone data, calls, texts. Covers US, CA, & MX.

Plus the free NetFlix is a great add on.

Hotspot data is limited to 5GB/month in Mexico and Canada.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:16 PM   #18
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
We are currently on our way to Alaska. Our tracfones do not work in Canada so we purchased a prepaid SIM card for Chtr at the walmart in Lethbridge AB. It cost $52 CDN (about $41 USD) and has 30 days of unlimited call & text and 10GB data. I think it uses the Rogers towers. We are currently in Banff, so far so good. Hopefully we can get useable coverage the rest of the way to Alaska.
Just an update. The Chtr SIM card worked pretty well in Alberta. In British Columbia it is worthless. I still have 8 GB left but can't use it because no cell service. Won't use this carrier ever again. Starlink is looking better all the time.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:29 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Hotspot data is limited to 5GB/month in Mexico and Canada.
Interesting. That is not mentioned anywhere in our plan.

Old 07-16-2022, 06:17 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our Verizon service was hit and miss in CA. All towns have roaming. .5gigs wasn't a problem. Just can't download movies.
Aren't we suppose to be getting away from all the techy stuff?
Old 07-19-2022, 06:31 PM   #21
jrs

Have a old 55+ Verizon plan that covers US, CAN and MX. Unfortunately our Verizon data plan doesn't work in CAN. We're currently in the Maritimes (now on the western Newfoundland coast) and throughout our Maritimes travel, always roaming so Verizon has a deal with the local carriers.
We've found coverage to be spotty. Also got a message soon after passing into CAN that we'd get only .5gb of "high speed data" per day so w/o our data plan use (mentioned above), it gets used up often and speed slows way down like texting and calls only.
jrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:17 PM   #22

I'm now in Alaska after having traveled thru Alberta, BC, and the Yukon . My Verizon Plans for our phones and 150Gig/month Hotspot plan are working flawlessly without additional charges.

The Cell Phone plans are the 5G Play More and 5G Start. On the Hotspot, I've got a plan called Premium.

Interestingly, as we traveled thru Canada we saw our phone roam onto multiple carriers - Telus, Rogers, Bell and others. Given the remoteness of the drive thru northern Canada, I only got cell service where you would expect it and not way out on the Alcan.

In Alaska, I've head nearly 100% coverage traveling Tok to Anchorage, everywhere on the Kenai Pennsula, and now on our way to Denali.
Sunrise Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 02:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise Camp View Post
I'm now in Alaska after having traveled thru Alberta, BC, and the Yukon . My Verizon Plans for our phones and 150Gig/month Hotspot plan are working flawlessly without additional charges.

The Cell Phone plans are the 5G Play More and 5G Start. On the Hotspot, I've got a plan called Premium.

Interestingly, as we traveled thru Canada we saw our phone roam onto multiple carriers - Telus, Rogers, Bell and others. Given the remoteness of the drive thru northern Canada, I only got cell service where you would expect it and not way out on the Alcan.

In Alaska, I've head nearly 100% coverage traveling Tok to Anchorage, everywhere on the Kenai Pennsula, and now on our way to Denali.
If you want a deal on your Verizon, upgrade your plan to the "Get More" plan... it'll cost you $10 more a month for your phone, but you'll get 50% off on your Sim Card, so your Sim Card will only cost you $45 /month... in addition, you'll go from 25 gb of phone hotspot to 50 gb/ month...

if you go to McCarthy, you'll be glad you have Verizon as it's the only thing that works. Also noted that our Verizon sim card works better in our Winegard than our ATT sim card... I grabbed a Netgear M6 pro from ATT and only use the Verizon in the Winegard, sometimes i'll run both depending on how much we have going on...

as for leaving the "techy" stuff behind... some of us work and play at the same time... work 3 days/play 4 days...
OldSalty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada, phone, service