Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:52 PM   #1

Crossing into Canada enroute to Alaska, and return

Canada has imposed new regulations on these people:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/c...ons/index.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 01:20 AM   #2

Probably Ray because some were fined in BC/AB for vacationing there after lying to the border agents that they were going to Alaska. Vehicles found parked in Banff/Golden at popular hiking areas, others booked into Campgrounds for days and others boasting in a restaurant about their vacation in the area. Another couple in Ontario, one with Canadian Citizenship, came up to their property and refused to adhere to quarantine 14 days so ........
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:23 PM   #3

Anyone try the crossing from AK to Canada yet? We have friends thinking about trying soon but they just keep getting conflicting messages! (Of course a clear message is to not make any unnecessary stops!!)
Megrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:11 AM   #4

I've tried twice to cross into Canada from Alaska. The first border temp I was told to bring back paperwork. The second border attempt the guard wouldn't even look at my paperwork told me to turn around and not to come back until the pandemic is over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megrux View Post
Anyone try the crossing from AK to Canada yet? We have friends thinking about trying soon but they just keep getting conflicting messages! (Of course a clear message is to not make any unnecessary stops!!)
to-camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by to-camp View Post
I've tried twice to cross into Canada from Alaska. The first border temp I was told to bring back paperwork. The second border attempt the guard wouldn't even look at my paperwork told me to turn around and not to come back until the pandemic is over.
What paperwork?

So.... you're spending the winter in Alaska?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
What paperwork?

So.... you're spending the winter in Alaska?
I hope not! I've been trying to get some guidance from the Canada Border Service on what I need to bring or do so they let me travel through. Communication is one of the biggest hurdles I'm navigating right now.
to-camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:20 AM   #7

To our two new members, welcome aboard.
The pandemic has certainly upset a lot of plans.
It is frustrating.
In my case my retirement plans are on hold and I'm 74.
Winter in Alaska? Sounds rough. It's bad enough here in Nova Scotia.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:33 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Canada has imposed new regulations on these people:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/c...ons/index.html
Seems reasonable to me. I wish we had the same standards and integrity with respect to our borders.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 03:46 PM   #9

I crossed the border 4 times last summer. I live in Alaska so heading north was easy. Heading south was the tricky part. I crossed into Yukon at Beaver Creek. Drs note in hand, cardiology appt. in Arizona completely self contained towing 26 foot camper. Wife couldn’t cross the border with me, she didn’t have a dr appointment. Instead she flew to Phoenix. We camped all summer, made an offer on a class A in Florida. We both crossed into Alberta only having to explain how she got to lower 48 since she didn’t come down with me. Wouldn’t you know it, as soon as we got to Anchorage the seller called and accepted our offer! We parked in Anchorage caught the next flight to Orlando and bought the class A. Drove back to Alberta got questions about our quick turn around but no real hassle. The kids taking our temperature at the borderremembered us from the previous week! We broke down outside Edmonton and spent a few days in the freightliner yard boondocking while waiting for a ac compressor. Nobody at the border asked us about a delay.
When you cross into Canada you are given specific route directions and all along that route are signs at most side roads reminding you to stay on the route. All provincial parks are also off limits. Private campgrounds on the other hand are open to travelers. I boondocked in a Walmart one night and a gravel lot one night. I’ve driven the alcan more times than I can remember so I have my good spots memorized.
Rwbrown3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #10

We own a place in Alaska, live in lower 48.
Canadian embassy told us we could drive through, shortest route, be self contained, stop only for gas and food, had limited time and no sight seeing
Normlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normlw View Post
We own a place in Alaska, live in lower 48.
Canadian embassy told us we could drive through, shortest route, be self contained, stop only for gas and food, had limited time and no sight seeing
I suggest calling the CBSA for the latest info. Would hate for you to get to the border based on what an embassy staffer told you, only to be turned away.

They way I "interpret" current Canadian regulations...if your primary residence is in the lower 48 then this is non-essential travel and vice versa Alaska to lower 48. High percentage that you would be denied entry.
Effective 15 Feb you will also be required to have a COVID test within 72 hrs of your intended border crossing.

Just my take on it.
Flyboy757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:54 PM   #12

Just looked now...
You will need to have proof your entry into Canada is not optional, such as:
  • proof of residence or employment in Alaska if going north
  • proof of residence or employment in the lower 48 states if going south
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:01 PM   #13

Another option: ferry
I plugged in a 35' RV to leave Washington for Juneau, one way mid-April

5,996.00 USD
HA!!
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:34 PM   #14

Old web - you do know you can’t drive from Juneau to the rest of Alaska don’t you? It is the one state capital in the US you can’t drive to.
bradford3454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, alaska, canada, route