Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:09 AM   #1

Crossing the border into Canada with trailer

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question.....Sorry if not.

We are traveling into Canada with our truck/travel trailer for the first time (haven't traveling into Canada since the days when you didn't need passports!). The trailer's insurance is an add on to the truck - so I don't have a separate insurance card for the trailer. I called my insurance agent and they said I needed a canadian insurance card, which they provided me. But there still is nothing ON the card to state the trailer is covered.

I am a little nervous about crossing and finding out we needed something we don't have. We have two parties traveling together with a bunch of kids and one severely disabled child - definitely want to make sure we don't have any unnecessary delays!!

Thanks!

2002 F250 Diesel
irene67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2019, 08:13 AM   #2
RV LIFE Support Team

We have been in Canada 2 out of the last 3 years and were told by our insurance company that we didn't need any special card.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Not one of the questions you will be ask. You have done your due diligence and as your home state adds the trailer to The truck you are covered. If you have an accident, which we hope you don’t, the paperwork may take an extra bit of time.
Don’t volunteer answers at a border crossing, answer questions as asked only. Enjoy your stay in Canada.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:42 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We entered Canada 2 weeks ago. We were told to extend all four of our slideouts. Then we waited outside while three armed, uniformed officers spent 25 minutes searching every nook, cranny, cabinet and basement of our coach. They were very polite and professional, and so were we. We went on our way when they completed their search and found nothing amiss. Everything was left as it was except for the refrigerator which they left unlocked. We didn't check it before driving and it opened while under way...
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
We entered Canada 2 weeks ago..

Just wondering, where did you enter Canada?
Old 06-29-2019, 09:30 PM   #6

We crossed about 4 weeks ago at Pacific Boarder crossing. Took all of about 10 minutes. Asked for our passports, Motorhome and toad registrations. Asked were we were headed and why. Had my wife stand up to see her and verify her identity. Asked if we had ever been to Canada. We had back in 2018 at Niagra Falls. (He knew that and was checking my honesty). Asked if I had any guns or ammunition. I had none. But again my feeling was he knew something because I have a CCW permit. Asked what we did for a living.
That was about it.
One word of caution. When we pulled up behind the vehicle in front of us who was being checked. I pulled too far forward so the cameras taking pics of the rear of the vehicle could be taken. He wanted us to back up. Couldn’t do that because our toad was being towed 4 wheels down. He wasn’t too happy and I thought here we go we’re in trouble now. But it didn’t turn out too bad he just lectured me for a few seconds to which I replied that I was sorry. I was more concerned about the tight fit going through the booth. I probably didn’t have more than 2” clearance on each mirror.
Martinichuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
We entered Canada 2 weeks ago. We were told to extend all four of our slideouts. Then we waited outside while three armed, uniformed officers spent 25 minutes searching every nook, cranny, cabinet and basement of our coach. They were very polite and professional, and so were we. We went on our way when they completed their search and found nothing amiss. Everything was left as it was except for the refrigerator which they left unlocked. We didn't check it before driving and it opened while under way...
WOW!!!

Where did you cross?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:44 AM   #8

Customs officials are looking for items not allowed into Canada like some foods , firearms , drugs etc. Have crossed the border many times and have never been asked for insurance or registration. Just be polite and answer their questions.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:08 AM   #9

My insurance company sends me a Canadian proof of insurance card every year, whether I ask for it or not since the first time I requested it, and it’s free. AFAIK, your US insurance is good in CA, but the card supposedly makes life easier if you get stopped or have an accident. Since it’s free, I fold it and stick it into the same envelope with my insurance and registration cards, just in case.

Trailer liability is covered by the tow vehicle liability insurance.

I’ve only towed a boat across, with a cabin, but they’ve only asked if I had any “bar stock” which pulled me up short since to me, bar stock is steel rounds, squares, and rectangles in long lengths (I’ve been designing machinery for the last 40 years). DW had to lean over and answer, “No. No liquor.”

But ditto the part about answering like a witness on the stand. Short, and to the point, and only answer what’s asked.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:14 PM   #10

Canadian border crossings are very uneventful. Have all your passports ready as well as registration for truck and towed vehicles. We are not as strict on food importation as USDA. No firewood across borders! Can't think of anything else other than no firearms.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
And I believe that if you are traveling with a dog, that you need to have proof of all up to date shots from your veteranarian. Any dog food must be in original package(s), not a Tupperware or other similar containers.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:37 PM   #12

Your insurance card will suffice. If you feel uneasy about it, print out your insurance policy which will give your trailer insurance information.

MRUSA14: That is very, very unusual. Something must have set them off. Gun info? Texas resident?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Your insurance card will suffice. If you feel uneasy about it, print out your insurance policy which will give your trailer insurance information.

MRUSA14: That is very, very unusual. Something must have set them off. Gun info? Texas resident?
Except he lives in Fl. Marc just naturally looks like a gangster!😂😂
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:45 AM   #14

Thanks all!!! As I get ready to pack up the camper I am still so unsure what food I can or cannot bring!

I definitely know - no fresh fruit, meat, milk, cheese (?)

But what about lunchmeat (since it is cooked meats)? Hot Dogs? Butter? Ice cream?

And if no fresh fruit/meat...what if it is frozen? Does that even matter?

I want to err on the side of caution...but I don't want to be ridiculously cautious if I don't need to be.

2002 F250 Diesel
irene67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada, trailer