Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-19-2022, 03:15 PM   #1

Crossing tomorrow into Canada from NY - what will I need?

I'll be crossing tomorrow into Canada from the Buffalo area heading into Niagara Falla on the Canadian side. I have our passports and vaccination cards set to go. What else will the Canadians ask from us? Is there some sort of form or online app I need to complete for each of us? Anything else you can think of? Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2022, 03:50 PM   #2

ArriveCAN app on your phone and a completed entry request submitted on it. Leave guns, bear spray, tobacco, cannabis, poultry and extra booze home.
Old 08-19-2022, 04:46 PM   #3

ArriveCan is a must. You will need to take a picture of your Passport photo ID page and a picture of your VAX card.
Those pics are downloaded to ArriveCan app as part of your "application" to enter Canada.

I was trying to go from Lubec Maine into Canada to go to Campobello Island.
The island is where FDR spent his summer vacations. (fascinating story)

I was asked to turn around because I did not have my ArriveCan done.

Downloaded the app, took about 15 minutes to go thou the process for the 2 of us.
Turned back around & went to Campobello Island.

Check this link....
https://www.canada.ca/en/border-serv...arrivecan.html

Hope this helps...
Wild Bill
llibdliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:58 PM   #4

If you have an enhanced driver's license (EDL), it will enable you to drive into Canada. With a trip planned in September for the Thousand Islands area of New York, I just got my Ohio EDL in the event we want to cross over to Canada. An EDL license is also what you need for air travel in the US (in lieu of a passport).
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 09:38 AM   #5

If you have any pets you will need proof of vaccinations plus a recent physical for each pet.

Also you will need proof of insurance coverage for each vehicle you are bringing into Canada. That is separate from your coverage in the USA. Canadian coverage is in the form of a piece of paper that you request from your insurance company.

Safe travels and how about that great weather in Western NY. Safe travels

Dick and Sandy from just outside Buffalo, NY
2015 HR Ambassador 38DB
Kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 03:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
If you have any pets you will need proof of vaccinations plus a recent physical for each pet.
All you need is a rabies vaccination. You don't need proof of a recent physical.

https://www.aaa.com/pettravel/pet-tr...You-Have-a-Pet

https://inspection.canada.ca/importi.../1326600500578
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 03:35 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I cross the border from Washington to BC as much as 6 times a week. I would suggest not using either of the phone apps, they're buggy; there's high latency issues and have generally caused lots of problems for many. Probably the worst was randomly sending more than 10,000 people to 14 day quarantine about 3 weeks ago even though they registered as being fully vaccinated (2 jabs). CBP stopped scrutinizing your stated arrival time because compliance was impossible. Many are upset that the apps access your call log, contacts, email, texts and photos on your phone as well as tracking your movements (via cell towers).

Instead, use the website where it's much easier to upload and enter your information ArriveCan - ArriveCAN (canada.ca) and to date, no technical issues. You can also do the web version for same day travel.
Old 08-20-2022, 05:17 PM   #8

I tried to get into Canada from MN and I could not do it without the ArriveCan thing. I couldn't get it because at that time my E-mail was down. (Actually it kinda still is. My orignal Centurylink e mail quit working and there doesn't seem to be anyway to fix it I have a g mail account now. I don't like it that much but, it works.) Anyway, I know at least a dozen people that don't have the internet or a email address but, you can't get into Canada without one.

They really don't seem to want us to go up there that badly. I have no real need to go that so I think I will just stay in the U.S... For now at least.

There loss.

So, To answer your question, You Must Have ArriveCan to get into Canada !
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 08:16 PM   #9

twogypsies is correct. going into Canada you may only need recent rabies vaccinations for your pets. However, coming back into the US, US Customs may ask for a recent pet physical and there may be a quarantine required is you don't have one.

Dick and Sandy from just outside Buffalo, NY
2015 HR Ambassador 38DB
Kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:33 PM   #10

Just got back into the States from Canada driving across the border. All in all, aside from the 1:40 wait on the Peace Bridge between the Buffalo area and Canada, it was super easy. First and foremost, as of today, ArriveCan is absolutely mandatory. You will NOT get in without it. Period.

That said, that's all we needed. We rolled up to the Canadian border agent on the way in, she asked for our US passports, and she asked a few very cursory questions - where you going, why and for how long type of stuff. She then handed the passports back to us and told us to have a good time. I asked about looking at the ArriveCan on my cell phone, and she said no need as it's linked to our passports on their end. Off we went, as easy as that.

We have no pets so I can't comment on that, but I can say that the vehicle insurance never even came up. As for the comment made earlier about the Canadians not wanting us there, I can absolutely say without reservation I found that to be 100% not true. We spent most of our time in the Niagara on the Lake area (spectacular, by the way) and some in the Niagara Falls, Canada area. Everyone we met was super friendly and pleased that we were there.

Tags
ada, canada