Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:23 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Dawson City

Apparently, you have to cross the Yukon River at Dawson City by ferry but the pictures show a pretty small looking ferry. Can I cross with a 55ft. fifth wheel and tow truck?

Also, the TOW road has long sections of unpaved road. I generally avoid unpaved roads. How bad is this road?

Are the side roads like to Valdez also unpaved?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2022, 10:27 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Dawson City

I took that ferry and was 54í with toad. No worries. As far as unpaved roads , if youíre heading into Alaska itís the worst road ( Top of the World Highway ) that Iíve ever been on and have traveled 93,000 MH miles. Itís not paved as you enter the US as I recall.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 12:48 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIFFTALL View Post
I took that ferry and was 54í with toad. No worries. As far as unpaved roads , if youíre heading into Alaska itís the worst road ( Top of the World Highway ) that Iíve ever been on and have traveled 93,000 MH miles. Itís not paved as you enter the US as I recall.
So would you not recommend it? Was it gravel? How fast were you able to travel? How much of it was non paved?
Old 09-19-2022, 02:07 PM   #4

Dawson / Chicken AK / Top of World Hwy

I was up the highway a few weeks ago caribou hunting. I see all kinds of RV's, but I would caution you, if you are adverse to tight turns and rough roads.

You can get to Dawson of course from the Canadian side without crossing the river or the TOW.

The Taylor Hwy is paved from the AK Hwy to Chicken, about 67 miles, but it has some rough patches. It is gravel beyond, to the Eagle cutoff and the TOW to Boundary. Plan on 25 mph or so with a big rig. And plan on meeting semi trucks coming the other way.

The road to Valdez is the Richardson Highway and it is paved all the way. All AK highways have frost heaves and some rough patches plus construction areas.
AKjohn62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 02:08 PM   #5
Community Administrator

It’s a dirt road with rocks / gravel. This was 2004 but I don’t think it’s changed. See if others chime in here.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 11:49 PM   #6

You won't be alone with your long setup. Many do it, as we have. It's not a fast drive but then you want to enjoy it so why drive fast? You don't want to drive it if it's just rained for hours but it dries out fast. It's a great experience. The ferry would be just fine for you. Dawson City is fun! Wouldn't miss it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 04:30 AM   #7

Fully-loaded semi's are transported on the ferry, your rig will be fine. The ferry crew usually hold large vehicles until they can transport them by themselves.
The TOW is an amazing drive, I was towing our 40' 5er with my CC, LB, 1T Duramax dually and never had a problem.
There are a few tip for driving the TOW gravel portions. The shoulders are very soft and deep gravel. If you run a steer tire onto the shoulder you are going over the side.
The shoulder gravel is a slightly different color than the traveled portion. When meeting another large vehicle I pulled over at a wider area and stopped to allow them to pass.
That's how I remember the TOW anyway. I have a lot of wonderful pictures along the TOW. We overnighted at Chicken and did some touring. Met a Swedish family there on "holiday"; they were amazed at the size of our 5er and asked to see inside.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:31 AM   #8

The ferry over the Yukon at Dawson City will not be a problem for your size RV but commercial vehicles take priority so you may have to wait awhile.
The TOW highway from Dawson City to Chicken is gravel for about 90 miles as I recall. You will get dust everywhere on your RV, in your closet all your bins everywhere. I would tape up all the bins and cracks that dust can get in. Go slow and don't follow behind another vehicle.

Is it worth it?? That's a subjective question. Dawson city, about the only reason to visit it is the show at Diamond Tooth Gerties in MHO. But the show is good and the talent first rate.
Both sold
Looking for a 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:58 AM   #9

Just did it this year towing a 30ft TT. Road wasn't nearly as bad as others in Alaska (McCarthy) and is overhyped. Worst part is from Chicken to Tok.
Yes...its a dirt/gravel road and common sense is required. Take it slow and bring a spare. But the scenery is wonderful and IMO one of the best drives I the region.
And like others have said...the ferry is no problem, except for the possible long lines.
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:56 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just did it. Chicken US to Canadian border is real bad. Curves, pot holes. Canadian side very nice gravel. Hit ferry early. Can be 3 hour wait later in day.
Old 09-20-2022, 02:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
The ferry over the Yukon at Dawson City will not be a problem for your size RV but commercial vehicles take priority so you may have to wait awhile.
The TOW highway from Dawson City to Chicken is gravel for about 90 miles as I recall. You will get dust everywhere on your RV, in your closet all your bins everywhere. I would tape up all the bins and cracks that dust can get in. Go slow and don't follow behind another vehicle.

Is it worth it?? That's a subjective question. Dawson city, about the only reason to visit it is the show at Diamond Tooth Gerties in MHO. But the show is good and the talent first rate.
It's good that everyone will have different experiences. We didn't get any dust in our storage compartments or living quarters. Guess ours were sealed good. It's not like you're driving fast to kick up dust... or you shouldn't be.

There a lot more to do in Dawson that Diamond Tooth.

https://www.travelyukon.com/en/thing...o-do-in-dawson

https://quirkytravelguy.com/quirky-t...on-city-yukon/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:42 PM   #12

We used the ferry in 2018, there were rigs bigger than yours, so no problem there. The dirt part after getting off the ferry in Canada were fine. When you go through the US border there was some brand new paving then the dirt started. You will have to determine what speed you want to drive. I normally am one of the fastest drivers, but most everyone in our Caravan passed me and then were complaining about the problems with their rig, from screws falling out to dust everywhere. We had no problem or dust. I think it a trip of a lifetime you are on so wouldn't miss out on it.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:54 AM   #13

I think my fasted speed on the TOW was about 30 mph. I pulled over several times to allow those driving faster to get up the road so we could sightsee.

Is that one show tavern still doing the frozen toe drink?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:58 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Is that one show tavern still doing the frozen toe drink?
Sorry, you lost me on this comment.