Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
I was leaning towards an older Jeep Liberty but it seems that reliability is an issue.
Our 2004 Jeep Liberty had 140,000 miles on it when we towed it to Alaska. They are a very basic vehicle without a lot of computer stuff. We didn't need repairs but if you did, anyone could repair them. They use simple parts. Carry some belts and filters and you're good to go. We did have a couple oil changes done during the trip. We still have the car and it's doing great. It's a fun driver.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 05:58 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Here is a picture of our Saturn tricked out with the Roadmaster line.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1451696142.945387.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	115462

You can see the mounting bracket for the tow guard on the hitch. The Tow Defender rolls up and stores between it and the Falcon tow bar. Only thing missing from the photo is the windshield guard I made.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:48 PM   #17

Plan B is, or maybe we are at E and F, getting a used Jeep Wrangler 2door. I'll look at the base plates that go on easiest and seem the strongest and then add the protective devices. I like the idea of a windshield mat such as a yoga mat. Have a lot of the bubble foil from a previous 5th wheel. I'll still configure the F-150 for later trips. With luck the same drop or rise will work. I have a Hydralift on the back of the coach for the Harley touring bike. If we take it to AK, I'll need some extension to the tow bar. Another plan.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:36 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Been up and back on the Alaska Hiway from GA to Anchorage each of the past 2 years. 2014 took our TC and had a few chips on the F-250 windshield but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

This past summer we went with our 31 ft moho towing a Focus on a dolly. The moho windshield was hit 3 times and ultimately cracked so bad it had to be replaced.Interestingly all the moho windshield damage occurred on chipseal in Wyoming and not in the Yukon.

The Toad did well. We installed a Protect a Tow before we left Georgia headed north. To protect the toad windshield we got 2 rolls of Reflectix and taped a joint midways together to cover the entire toad windshield. Then we cut the reflectix to the windshield shape and attached adhesive velcro around the edges ot the windshield and reflectix. To asure it stayed put while underway we ran a strap taped on the front to the reflectix around it and through the front windows of the car. It never budged. With leftover reflectix we covered the headlight lens and a few areas on the grill.

The protect- a-tow did much of the work but we had a good load of stone, dust and gravel on it upon arrival in Anchorage and back home in GA. Most of it was donated to our rig in the Yukon on the dirt/gravel segments. We found many small stone deposited between the hood and windshield and on the trunk hood in the rear of the toad--- and the entire car was VERY dirty with road dust.

All said no glass or bad body damage to the toad. The only significant damage was the toad's horn became jammed with grit and dust and decided to pretty much quit. Our set up worked well and we'd definitely use it again if we make the run. Had to go through a car wash 2 times on each end of the trip to get it clean.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi We went to Ak in 2010 with a 2004 Winnebago towing a Honda Civic on a tow dolly.
I used RV Road Wrap on the front of the rv and the front of the Honda and had no problems with rocks. I also has Rock Solid flap on rear of RV and it didn't cause any problems however it must be installed correctly as to not drag on the road.
As for vehicles coming the other way and there is gravel on the road, move to your right as far as you can and slow down or stop til other vehicle passes.
Enjoy your trip and don't worry about your truck as whatever dings it gets if it does can be fixed. It is a trip of a lifetime and make sure you go fishing.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:54 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Price out high end repaint the front of your new truck, it may be less than the cost of setting up an alternate tow'd. We tow'd our RAV4 with no protection. Suffered no damage until we got on the Top of the World Highway (Dawson City to Chicken AK). Oops! Covered the windshield with a tarp and had no further damage. Repaint of the hood to like new was $3,700. No big deal and less than many alternatives. Drove the RAV for another year and a half before trading. It showed no damage to the use car appraiser even though it had its third windshield (NY Ins requires full glass)
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:47 AM   #21

Well after is said and done, I purchased a 2102 Jeep Wrangler as a toad for this trip and probably keep as "the" toad. I don't have the tow assemblies yet and am looking at whether the Blue ox, Road master, Demco versions are best for me. Right now the Road Master seems to have advantages in ease of installation and the protective devices. Fortunately I am not in a rush so I can do my research and get feedback from the forum.

Thanks to the many posters for good relevant information provided.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad