Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:21 PM   #1

HWY 1 from California to Alaska

Can anyone tell me if I could drive up HWY 1. I drive a class A 34 foot national RV didn't know what the road conditions were like in the far north. In Canadian and Alaska
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2019, 11:47 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ca HWY 1 ends at Leggett, Ca where it joins US HWY 101.

US HWY 1 is on the east coast.

Neither of these roads will get you to Canada and Alaska...
Old 01-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edhick View Post
Can anyone tell me if I could drive up HWY 1. I drive a class A 34 foot national RV didn't know what the road conditions were like in the far north. In Canadian and Alaska
I'm not familiar with hi way 1 in CA. but I think it ends in northern CA. and turns into hwy 101 up through Oregon and Washington. at the northern tip of WA. you'll loop back down to Olympia WA. then jump on I5 on up to the border. I don't think travel up the Canada north coast gos up very far. we crossed the border at Sumas last year and then onto hwy 12. you can also take hwy 99 they meet on up in Canada as far as driving your 34' rv it shouldn't be a problem I would check hwy 1 in CA. to make sure its open it has a lot of closures through the year.
your trip up to the north end of WA. and down to Olympia on hwy 101 will be spectacular. please allow plenty of time here. you'll enjoy every minute of it. their are many campgrounds but its very crowded in the summer. their are a lot of places to pull off the road for the night though. the trip from the WA. border up through Canada is not to eventful, mostly sage brush and rocks, and lots of miles of it. the hwy is very good until about the last hundred miles.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
two years I drove from Vancouver B.C. to Whitehorse up to Prince George west to Smithers north to Watson Lake west to Whitehorse then down the alcan hyway.
the road was good only about 10 mile of reconstruction other wise all was a great experience.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Ca HWY 1 ends at Leggett, Ca where it joins US HWY 101.

US HWY 1 is on the east coast.

Neither of these roads will get you to Canada and Alaska...
you need to look at a map hwy 1 joins hwy 101 then at Olympia WA. you can get on I5 to the Canadian border. can't get much closer than that.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:32 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
you need to look at a map hwy 1 joins hwy 101 then at Olympia WA. you can get on I5 to the Canadian border. can't get much closer than that.
Jay D.

That's right: Hwy 1 joins 101 at Leggett, Ca and ENDS there. Hwy 101 continues on up the coast, but it is NOT hwy 1.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #7

No need to drive clear back to Olympia......you can cross back from Gig Harbor to Tacoma...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:53 PM   #8

Hwy 1? 101

Sorry if I confused some of you'll was going of memory didn't have map in front of me. I should know better than to do either one. Memory not what it used to be. But I think most understood what I was going for. Was wanting to know the road conditions if we were to drive from the states up to Alaska. My brother may not have but about 6 months left and that is one thing he has always wanted to do was drive up to Alaska so hopefully I can help him make it happen. It looks like from your comments it shouldn't be a problem. Thank you for your help
Old 01-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #9

If the OP is still monitoring his thread...Assuming that you are returning to CA after your AK trip (hope that you have a blast), I would suggest that your brother (and you) would best appreciate a north to south route route along the pacific coast as opposed to north to south. Having that coastline on your right makes access and viewing much easier. I would recommend a side trip to The Avenue of Giants (Giant Redwoods). Day tripping on Highway 1 in the Jeep was fun. There are so many road slippages, that I wasn’t comfortable driving our coach on HWY 1. Enjoy!
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #10

I'm sorry to hear about your brother and that's a wonderful think you're thinking of doing. However, you shouldn't try driving to Alaska at this time of year. Most people cross the Canadian border in May - usually late May. However, yes, driving to Alaska is very doable with any size RV.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edhick View Post
Sorry if I confused some of you'll was going of memory didn't have map in front of me. I should know better than to do either one. Memory not what it used to be. But I think most understood what I was going for. Was wanting to know the road conditions if we were to drive from the states up to Alaska. My brother may not have but about 6 months left and that is one thing he has always wanted to do was drive up to Alaska so hopefully I can help him make it happen. It looks like from your comments it shouldn't be a problem. Thank you for your help
Couple things here for you Ed. Cross over from Fort Bragg Ca on highway 20 to 101. From Ft Bragg up 1 to 101 it gets dicey with possible bottom outs, not worth it. In Washington cross over @Sumas or the one just west, crossing @ 99 will leave u grounded for a time. When U get to Prince George U will have to decide whether to take 16 West or continue on 97 to Dawson Creek which is the beginning of the Alcan. We made the trip to Alaska this summer from Washington. 2 months and we saw all the highlights of the Alcan, Youkon and Alakan territories. Only reservation you might need is Denali. This trip absolutely would qualify as a worthy final journey in life Ed. In fact we met 2 last summer on theirs. Happy Trails to you both!
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #12
GBB

Worst part of the road is from the Alaska border to Glenallen, Ak.
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:07 PM   #13

Highway 1 is gorgeous, but is difficult and extremely slow. If you have the time and inclination go for it. But it's a LOT more fun in a 2 seat sports car.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip, california