Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-04-2022, 12:38 PM   #1

I have questions about money credit cards and more

Hi everyone,

We are getting close to our first week of June departure date for Alaska and Canada. I have a few questions I hope those have been can answer for me.

1. Money, I plan to bring some cash and am wondering if U.S. currency is widely excepted in Canada. How much Canadian money should I have with me?

2. Credit cards Are U.S. cards excepted in most places. I mainly use American Express. They say don't leave home without it. Is it a good card to use in Canada? I will also have a Visa debit card but I am hoping to keep most expenses on one credit card.

3. Internet. I have an ATT hotspot that I have found out will not work in Canada. I am planning to get Verizon hotspots on our phones that is suppose to work in Canada. Anyone have any suggestions . I do know there will be places that there will be no cell signal at all. I do want to have connection where and when it is possible. I have a business I have to keep in touch with.

4. What items should we not bring across the boarder. I know firearms are not permitted and pepper spray. I have read that bear spray is ok as long as it is marked Bear Spray. What about food? I know no fresh veggies, anything else.

5. What should we bring with us. We are going to pack for a variety of weather. I understand we could go from shorts and t-sheets to winter coats and long johns depending on locations. Are there any tools or RV equipment recommended. I unfortunately don't have room for a spare tire for the rig but my tire are in good shape and only 2 years old. I will be bringing a patch kit and I have road side assistance.

6. Camping. Off grid or boondocking. We are not boondockers but I have read and seen videos that there is a lot of places to camp that are not an established camp ground. How do you find these places. Is there an good app for it.

My RV and tow car are in good shape and I have done all the maintenance I think is needed for this trip. We have planned as best we can and are excited about the adventure. Anything anyone can suggest is truly appreciate.

Thanks to all.
VC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2022, 12:45 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VC63 View Post
Hi everyone,

We are getting close to our first week of June departure date for Alaska and Canada. I have a few questions I hope those have been can answer for me.

1. Money, I plan to bring some cash and am wondering if U.S. currency is widely excepted in Canada. How much Canadian money should I have with me?
As a frequent international traveler, I am wondering why you would think you could spend US dollars in Canada?

Would you expect to accept Canadian Dollars in the US?

Yes, they may accept them near the border, but keep in mind they have to pay an exchange fee and no one is going to give the best rate.

To think that US currency is universal is a little arrogant. I get this question all the time in Mexico. "Do I need to pay in pesos or does everybody accept dollars?"

The answer is no. You will get the best exchange rates if you use your debit card at a bank location and withdraw in Canadian Dollars.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:46 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you want to bring along some cash, I would go to your bank before you leave and purchase some Canadian cash.
While most stores in Canada will accept your US cash, they generally don't want to look up the exchange rate that day, so, 1$ US to them will equal $1CAD.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:25 PM   #4

You'll get the best exchange rate at a bank when you cross into Canada.

American Express isn't recognized everywhere. Visa or Mastercard are the best cards to use. Discover is rarely accepted.

We crossed the Sumas, WA border and spent the first night in Hope, Canada nearby. It's a pleasant little town with awesome huge wood carvings lining the main street. We used their bank to get some Canadian money. We also stocked up on some meat and fresh produce before moving on.

If you're planning to use the Provincial and Yukon public parks (highly recommended) many times there will not be personnel there to take your fee. You'll have to use the 'iron ranger' to drop it in and they'll only accept Canadian. We also found that the laundramats required Canadian.

Be sure to read the current Canadian rules on crossing regarding food, pets, guns, etc. & also the current Covid regulations.

Have all papers ready at crossing and don't volunteer any information. Let them do the talking.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 01:54 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Hi, and welcome to Canada.

You would be best to get a Visa card rather than AM EX.

Internet will be spotty no matter where you are North of Prince George. Even some places South of there. Telus has the best coverage, so get a roaming package that uses them.

No guns or pepper spray, but almost all food is OK. Not like going from Canada to the states! :(

Weather can be hot (90F+) or cool, so obviously bring lots of different, including rain gear.

Good tires and you shouldn't have any worries there, but if you are far out of cell range, it may be a long wait for help. Be able to change your own tires would be my recommendation.

Try spending one or 2 nights in your rig without any services to figure out if you can handle dry camping would be my suggestion. Boondocking is fairly rare and frowned upon, but there are a few places you can spend the night along the road. Be cautious with food scraps because the bears like them and will want more if they get a taste.

Have a great and pleasant trip.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 02:06 PM   #6

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-sa.../1389630282362
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 02:19 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You'll get the best exchange rate at a bank when you cross into Canada.
That's true. Change your US dollars into Canadian at a Canadian Bank. They may want to see your passport in order to make the exchange.

If you try to spend US dollars in Canada, you will lose out on the exchange rate. Currently the US dollar is worth $1.27 Canadian. Not all Canadian sellers will take a US dollar, but many will be happy to take your US. dollar and keep the 27 cents change.

Way better than cash is using a Visa or Mastercard. Be aware that many if not most cards charge a currency exchange fee of 2 or 3 percent, but some do not. I use a CapitalOne Mastercard, which charges no fees on foreign currency charges and gives you the best possible exchange rate on the day of purchase.

Make your money go a far as you can.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 02:22 PM   #8

Hello, hope you'll have a great trip !

Money.: Better off to have Canadian money, just get some as needed at ATM's on your route

Credit card.: American Express is not a good one in Canada, many will not accept it because of the higher fees they charge to the stores, your Visa is a better way to go.
Pol6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 02:30 PM   #9

Take very little cash if any, pay for everything with credit card (Visa or Master card are widely accepted). Get small amounts of cash if you must at ATM’s or if stores give cash back on debit card like they do here.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:02 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have a Bank of America account, you can withdraw fee free at cotia Bank ATMs.

Amex is accepted generally only at more-expensive restaurants and higher-end retail shops catering to foreign visitors.

Old 05-04-2022, 07:19 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I assume you have current passports????
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:26 PM   #12

Firewood?

A few years back when we crossed over into Canada we had to give up our firewood.

Which was kinda silly, since it was simply cut up 2x4 lumber. Not like it was raw timber with bugs under the bark.
deddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:40 PM   #13

The borderó both sides confiscated any fruit. They also took our tomatoes. We had a small dream catcher hanging from a cupboard pull and they inspected it for ď what kind of feathersĒ it had. All Border Guards were pleasant and mostly friendly. Have a great trip. Donít pass Laird Springs without stopping and enjoying it.
Tonkexpress1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:46 PM   #14

Going to Alaska

As others have said get a Visa or Mastercard. Call the credit card co. and let them know you will be traveling. Had an experience in my Hometown purchasing a $550.00 bicycle. Credit card was declined. Thought it was fraud.
Sam 3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money