Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-05-2023, 03:09 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Mail Service for Frequent Movers

I've read some of the mail service threads but didn't see the answer I was hoping to find. If you plan to move ever 2 to 3 day for 5 months, how can anyone forward your mail. I don't believe I'm interested in the scanning of internal mail as an option. [To the Admin. If I posted this in the wrong place, I beg forgiveness.]
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2023, 03:40 PM   #2

We FTd and moved weekly

We used BOA Bill Pay........set up to pay the reoccurring bills monthly

So we had very little mail.....our mail forwarding was set up to accept only 1st class mail which eliminated junk mail/subscriptions

When we want mail...we requested to be sent to some place we would be in a week or two
Sometimes we had it sent "General Delivery" to a post office in a town we would be at in a week of two

Moving every 2-3 days for 5 months.....have your local post off HOLD your mail and pick it up when you get back
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 04:23 PM   #3

Pick a place you plan to be on day XXX

Have your mail forwarded to General Delivery there.

Been doing that while traveling for almost 10 years now. Use Escapees out of Livingston, TX - we were already Texas residents, so it was not even necessary to visit there to change our domicile, DL, registration, voting, etc.

TWICE - we've had problems where I had to make a long drive to pick up the mail someplace, we were unable to be on time, due to a truck breakdown once, and a family death the other.

It sounds complicated, but like a lot of RV stuff, gets very simple after you practice it a bit.

Now, I have things sent from Escapees to me by US Priority mail, so I have tracking and know when it arrives. And it is usually 2-3 days delivery even in ME or WA or AZ
OldBaldFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:18 PM   #4

Totally agree with OldBaldFat's post above.

Mail isn't really critical nowadays. You could have delivery every 3-4 weeks and it would probably be just fine. Plan to receive it in a small-town post office; not a big city. Request it to be sent as you're traveling about a week or so before reaching the particular area. It'll be waiting for you when you arrive.

If staying in a RV park check beforehand if they'll receive mail for you; some don't.

Otherwise, have it sent General Delivery c/o ... Small Town, USA

You can also go on the USPostal website to confirm that the 'small town' will accept General Delivery. Or if there's a phone #, call them.

Can you have a neighbor or relative collect your home mail for you and just put it in a Priority bag/box to be ready to ship to you? That would be easy. They could weed out junk mail for you.

Put your bills on AutoPay. Those that you can't preview beforehand and plan ahead to pay them.

There isn't much else to be concerned about nowadays.

Priority shipping would be recommended; not First Class. When we went to Alaska we received a package from Escapees Mail Service Priority in 4 days.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 07:54 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
We FTd and moved weekly

We used BOA Bill Pay........set up to pay the reoccurring bills monthly

So we had very little mail.....our mail forwarding was set up to accept only 1st class mail which eliminated junk mail/subscriptions

When we want mail...we requested to be sent to some place we would be in a week or two
Sometimes we had it sent "General Delivery" to a post office in a town we would be at in a week of two

Moving every 2-3 days for 5 months.....have your local post off HOLD your mail and pick it up when you get back
I'm not worried paying routine bills, I'm more concerned about missing something urgent, so I don't want to wait 5 months.
Old 06-05-2023, 07:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post

You can also go on the USPostal website to confirm that the 'small town' will accept General Delivery. Or if there's a phone #, call them.
Always check first before having mail send General Delivery. Don't assume - we've encountered a number of post offices that do not accept it.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 07:59 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Totally agree with OldBaldFat's post above.

Mail isn't really critical nowadays. You could have delivery every 3-4 weeks and it would probably be just fine. Plan to receive it in a small-town post office; not a big city. Request it to be sent as you're traveling about a week or so before reaching the particular area. It'll be waiting for you when you arrive.

If staying in a RV park check beforehand if they'll receive mail for you; some don't.

Can you have a neighbor or relative collect your home mail for you and just put it in a Priority bag/box to be ready to ship to you? That would be easy. They could weed out junk mail for you.

Put your bills on AutoPay. Those that you can't preview beforehand and plan ahead to pay them.

There isn't much else to be concerned about nowadays.

Priority shipping would be recommended; not First Class. When we went to Alaska we received a package from Escapees Mail Service Priority in 4 days.
Can you do the same thing %General Delivery, Small Town, Canada?
Old 06-05-2023, 11:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
Can you do the same thing %General Delivery, Small Town, Canada?
If you're talking about your trip to Alaska..... we arranged for a mail pkg right before crossing into Canada and then had another waiting for us at Tok, Alaska right after leaving Yukon. We spent about 3 weeks in Canada & Yukon. We didn't even want to try a Canadian mail drop.... just in case. I never looked into how to send mail to Canada & I would guess it would take longer.

If you're not concerned about bills there aren't many other 'possible' important things to get in the mail as far as I'm concerned. You'll be past tax season. Off hand, I can't think of other important things. Companies will usually have your telephone # or email if you need to be contacted. Same for friends or relatives.

Hope this helps.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
service