Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2022, 04:13 PM   #1

Mexico Insurance

Hello all! I’m new as of yesterday and have found this forum so full of knowledge! I honestly had no idea! My name is Pam, my husband Steve and I are headed out in January on our second journey. We’re Minnesotans and have become anywhere but MN in the winter birds. Lol

My question is about travel to Baja. We’re headed to San Filipe for a couple of weeks and we would like any suggestions about insurance and anything pertinent to traveling across the border.

Thanks so much!
Hogheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2022, 06:19 PM   #2

Call your agent to add coverage/endorsement for being outside the USA. Most normal policies do not automatically cover for this, especially the northern states going to Mexico. Price isn't usually a huge difference, but if you do not have it in your policy then it can be a bad day.

I do litigation for a big brand insurance company, so I've see the lawsuits.

Great idea by the way! Most people just assume they are covered.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogheaven View Post
Hello all! I’m new as of yesterday and have found this forum so full of knowledge! I honestly had no idea! My name is Pam, my husband Steve and I are headed out in January on our second journey. We’re Minnesotans and have become anywhere but MN in the winter birds. Lol

My question is about travel to Baja. We’re headed to San Filipe for a couple of weeks and we would like any suggestions about insurance and anything pertinent to traveling across the border.

Thanks so much!
Progressive offers Mexican insurance. Don't bring firearms unless you are ready for the consequences. Bring a lot of $20's as it is easier on their handling and incase you get shaken down on a traffic stop. Obey the speed limits greatly. Pay attention and don't cause trouble.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:58 PM   #4

Check the policy you buy. Most ONLY cover a total lose ..
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 07:55 PM   #5

Quote:

Thanks so much!
We use "Baja Bound" for our drive down the Baja. Never had a claim but have been asked to see 'proof". We leave the rv in San Diego and drive the towed kia to Todos Santos. Got the bajabound policy online. Have geico here and they suggested it. Love Baja!
Old 08-25-2022, 08:05 PM   #6

Nope.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapa1 View Post
We use "Baja Bound" for our drive down the Baja. Never had a claim but have been asked to see 'proof". We leave the rv in San Diego and drive the towed kia to Todos Santos. Got the bajabound policy online. Have geico here and they suggested it. Love Baja!
Why don't you take the RV down? Where do you leave it in SD?
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 05:30 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Baja Fun

Quote:

Thanks so much!
Pam & Steve, welcome to iRV2.

I have traveled in Baja my entire life, we would go to San Filipe for the weekend staring in the early 60s on. Warning, I have not been in San Filipe for many years, I can just share my knowledge from the past:

1) There are a lot of outfits that sell Mexican insurance. I have never need it, but I have also never crossed the boarder without it. There are a lot of options to buy insurance in Calexico, CA, by the boarder crossing.

2) Driving in Mexico is simple, drive slow and be prepared. When in the cities, I drive like a kid is going to run in front of me, but drive with the flow of traffic given the flow is going at the speed limit.

3) Plan on getting through Mexicali early in the day, you do not want to drive at night in Mexico. The animals feed next to the road where, what little rain runs off the pavement and provides grass by the road. If you see an animal near the road, slow down, assume it will run in front of you. Correction, nothing runs in Mexico, running takes too much energy

4) There is no paved shoulder on most roads, if you get your wheels off the pavement you may flip your vehicle. So, when you see Buses and large vehicles coming the other way, slow down and know where your wheels are, do not let your wheels get off the pavement.

5) When you come to a stop sign (Alto), stop and count 1001, 1002, 1003, before you go. It is my understanding that rolling stops are the main traffic ticket in Mexico these days in the big cities.

99% if the time I feel safer in Mexico than I do in the downtown of large cities in the USA. The Mexican people like to have fun, so laugh a lot and you will make friends from the get go! All of your travel precautions that hold true in the USA are the same in Mexico. Be respectful, and you most likely will be treated with respect.

Hope this helps, I love Mexico and the people.
I developed our product while fishing in Mexico, so Mexico is a very productive place for me

Tags
insurance