Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-28-2021, 12:18 PM   #1

Move to Alaska

We are in the process of moving to Alaska from Oregon. We are going to pack our toyhauler with house hold goods and try and drive. Has any one knowledge moving up to alaska. I have traveled several times pre-covid in our trailer but not since the restrictions.

I have researched throughly on the requirements to go through the border and I believe I make essential travel requirements. We have a rapid transit through Canada travel plan and don't need to stop for anything but fuel.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Loads of info here:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f295/ala...st-464284.html
Probably more than you want....
Old 04-28-2021, 03:57 PM   #3

You probably want to call the Canadian border to get the accurate details. Don't rely on a forum for this major move.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #4

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...arrivecan.html
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...nsit-alaska-us
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A friend of mine goes to Canada a couple times a month to pick up new RV's and deliver them to Sacramento.

They made his wife get out of the truck and wait for six hours on the border while he was picking up an RV. Wouldn't let her enter Canada.

So you need to call whoever it is that controls those sorts of things in Canada and find out for sure exactly what the procedure is.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:07 PM   #6

Have you already purchased property in Alaska ?

Owning property and being in the process of moving to it , MAY, aid passage over the border .

Otherwise , with Canada being in the midst of our third ( worst ) wave , your going to need as much accurate info as you can gather.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:27 PM   #7

My understanding is that they are permitting some boats to transit Washington to Alaska. What I've heard (no first hand knowledge) is that it requires filing a "float plan" with daily mileage, planned anchorages (overnight stops) and fuel stops. No going " ashore" permitted no other stopping (fishing, sightseeing) and intent is you carry all food required, although some have indicated some may be willing to deliver to a fuel dock.
Sounds like the permit is not guaranteed and is subject to review and to some extent the whims of the reviewer.

Seems like a detailed plan, with clear rationale, might help when making contact ahead of time.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:16 AM   #8

Follow up: made it through the border, it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. We had our information; passports, covid test, rental agreement, dog vaccine certificate and travel plan all ready for the guy in the booth. He gave us a hassle about the month to month rental agreement he wanted a year lease and we did not have a list of what was packed in the garage of our toyhauler so he sent us to a parking area and I had to go in and talk to another border agent.

The agent asked a few questions then sent me back to the truck. After a long painful wait the agent came out with a hanging tag and a piece of paper to turn in to the border at Beaver Creek. Read us some rules then sent us on our way. We did not recieve a covid test kit or information to get another covid test.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:49 AM   #9

Kip; it's not clear from your post are you still in Canada ?

Last year to cross into Alaska at the border, required Covid negative test less than 3 days old , will you be able to make that requirement ?
Old 05-06-2021, 02:02 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Sounds to me like he already crossed the border into Canada
Old 05-07-2021, 09:21 AM   #11

Currently transiting through Canada on our way to Alaska. We took the covid test the night before our border crossing.

After making this trip several times in the past, it is strange without all the extra RVs on the road. There have been a few Alaska plates heading south, even saw an oregon plate, but the majority of RVs are BC residents going south. I am a slow driver with this monster and have not seen a single American RV going north pass me, not even an American plated car. I know we are early, in the days of pre-covid season, but it feels empty on the road. On the plus side, I don't have a line of cars waiting to pass me.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #12

Currently , Alberta is posting the WORST Covid infection rate ( per 100,000 population ) numbers in Canada , some say North America . BC authorities are doing their best to discourage any RV or non essential travel , particularly , from Alberta into BC , but by BC residents through BC as well ; RCMP check points on major routes.
BC Ferry corp. has shut down RV traffic , between mainland and Vancouver Island , till after the May long weekend , and that's likely to be extended , if infection numbers remain high .

Little wonder traffic is low on the highways.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:07 PM   #13

travel from lower 48 to Alaska during covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
We are in the process of moving to Alaska from Oregon. We are going to pack our toyhauler with house hold goods and try and drive. Has any one knowledge moving up to alaska. I have traveled several times pre-covid in our trailer but not since the restrictions.

I have researched throughly on the requirements to go through the border and I believe I make essential travel requirements. We have a rapid transit through Canada travel plan and don't need to stop for anything but fuel.

I live in Alaska and last summer traveled through Canada three times from June until August. I crossed in Alberta through Montana twice in one week and they remembered me the second time. I'd just gotten back to Anchorage when the dealer in Tampa accepted our offer on our MH so we flew down and drove it back. When you cross at the border they will ask you questions about your expedited travel plan, if you are self contained and if you have any symptoms. They may need paperwork, we showed our drivers license along with our passport. Driving south from Alaska in early June I had proof of a cardiology appt in Scottsdale Az and that was enough. First you'll need a negative covid test that is within 72 hours of your entry into Canada. So after you pass the border checkpoint you'll pull up to the Covid Station. There they will gather your personal info and take your temperature. There wasn't a time limit on passing through Alberta or the BC. They'll give you some covid information papers and remind you to stay in your vehicle except for pay at the pump. All gov't run campgrounds are closed to U.S. travelers. They'll have signs posted telling you to stay out. When you get to the Yukon they become really strict. You'll stop at a checkpoint, they'll repeat the Covid checkpoint, gather personal info, take your temp. etc, then give you a Yukon map with your route and a window tag saying you're transiting. Canadians are encouraged to call a number and report Americans suspected of not following directions. I stayed one night in a walmart parking lot and another night in a private campground no problem. Also broke down outside of Edmonton and had to spend two nights at Freightliner Edmonton, no problem at all. But once you're in the Yukon you have 24 hours to make it to Alaska, I would do my best to time your arrival to give you the most daylight to drive the Yukon. Be aware that there may be traffic delays due to road conditions and work crews. Do not drive down the hill into Whitehorse, not a good idea, get fuel on the bypass and keep going. When you pass White horse there is another checkpoint (the exit checkpoint) maybe they time you there somehow but they'll just repeat what you already did twice. Cruising into the U.S. is easy, Alaska offers free vaccinations for anybody who comes up to visit! I'm looking forward to my trip down in about 3 weeks and do not anticipate any problems at the border, as I am self contained and have quite a few reasons to pass through to the lower 48. Good luck!
Rwbrown3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:27 AM   #14

Made it to Alaska and back in Anchorage, great to be back home. Overall the experience was okay we just motored through with our only stops being fuel and most of our stops for the night were roadside. Did stay in two rv parks but they were "no contact" check in (euphemism for online reservations).

We passed through the Yukon checkpoint in Watson Lake and gave them our information but there was never a exit check point. We did make the drive in 24 hours.

Cautionary tale: while checking out of Canada at Beaver Creek there was a couple in line before me who drove from California to Alaska. They did not pay attention to the amount of days Canada gave them for transit and went over a day. Canada's border officer was not happy, I did not find out the outcome but we left before them and they never passed me. Everybody behind me at the border passed me but never saw them. I am a big toyhauler creeping over frost heaves, everybody passed us. Lol
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210510_104140.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	327951

Tags
alaska