Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:59 AM   #1

New route to Alaska

The majority of all freight to Alaska goes by container ship. I just saw an ad from Tote Maritime, the largest of the two main shipping lines that they will now ship your rv to Alaska. Itís only three days from Bellingham to anchorage. They sail three days a week I think.
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2021, 06:25 AM   #2

interesting
i think i will keep an eye on this post
Old 05-14-2021, 06:44 AM   #3
Happy to be here!

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
https://www.totemaritime.com/rv-alaska/
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:44 AM   #4

And, the Alaska Marine Highway ferry boats are another option. Been operating for many, many decades.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
And, the Alaska Marine Highway ferry boats are another option. Been operating for many, many decades.
Not cheap, but you get to ride along with your trailer and see the coastal beauty.
Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:02 AM   #6

No question, the inside passage is a LOT more scenic than the Alcan Highway.

Done both many times.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:36 PM   #7

What's the price?

The drive up to Alaska is the best part... unless you're limited on time and will fly there. In that case, I'd fly and rent a RV.

My first thought about a cargo ship is that they are havens for rats. I'd be concerned about damage to the RV; especially a motorhome with all the wires to nibble on!

We also took the ferry from Bellingham through the Inside Passage and it was a fantastic trip.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:41 AM   #8
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfour5 View Post
Not cheap, but you get to ride along with your trailer and see the coastal beauty.

Its great. The only way i go to alaska. Done it several times. Always something new to see.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:08 AM   #9

I priced the Alaska Ferry from Bellingham to Skagway. $6,500 for coach and car about 3 years ago.

Tote has shipped RV's for awhile. The quote to me for coach only was almost $8,000 from Tacoma to Anchorage. If you can afford those prices my hat's off to you.

FYI cargo ships at times carry RV's on top of their hatches at times. This might sweeten the pot for the captain or the crew, not sure about that. It would be interesting if there was a maritime interest in converting a ship or two into RV haulers, maybe a worked over RORO?

I talked to a ship captain a few years back on our local river, he had two motorhomes and a 5th wheel tied down on a hatch cover. They were going to be dropped off in Australia and the rest of his cargo was bulk product.
Boomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:55 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomper View Post
I priced the Alaska Ferry from Bellingham to Skagway. $6,500 for coach and car about 3 years ago.

Tote has shipped RV's for awhile. The quote to me for coach only was almost $8,000 from Tacoma to Anchorage. If you can afford those prices my hat's off to you.

FYI cargo ships at times carry RV's on top of their hatches at times. This might sweeten the pot for the captain or the crew, not sure about that. It would be interesting if there was a maritime interest in converting a ship or two into RV haulers, maybe a worked over RORO?

I talked to a ship captain a few years back on our local river, he had two motorhomes and a 5th wheel tied down on a hatch cover. They were going to be dropped off in Australia and the rest of his cargo was bulk product.
TOTE is likely more expensive coming up. I was quoted 3800.00 from Anchorage to Bellingham for a 38' RV and a toad.
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:33 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We originally planned to drive to Alaska, entering Canada in Washington. Due to border uncertainty, we booked the ferry from Bellingham to Whittier. We decided on ferry rather than Tote Marine because we have pets, our RV is our home (we are Fulltimers), logistics of getting flights, hotels, rental to/from docks, timing, etc. We just felt more comfortable having everything with us and ferry will be much more scenic. Final cost would probably be pretty much the same in the end. Downfall is ferry only sails every 2 weeks from Bellingham. We wanted to sail 5/29 but no large spaces available for RV & tow so going 6/12. We hope to be able to drive back to the states late August.

Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
We originally planned to drive to Alaska, entering Canada in Washington. Due to border uncertainty, we booked the ferry from Bellingham to Whittier.
Sounds like a good plan. Do a trip report for us at the end! We took the ferry one of our times and really enjoyed it and saw so much wildlife. The ferry travels close to shore and the bears were busy fishing. Many whales, also.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Another factor, when using TOTE you must fly to AK and use a hotel until your RV arrives; TOTE will not accept passengers. This must be added to the RV shipping costs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:57 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Any word at all when Canada "might" re-open it's borders to US vaccinated RV travelers? Are there own vaccinated residents still on limited mobility restrictions?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, route