Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 10:03 PM   #1

RV in Mexico

I would like to spend Jan and Feb in mexico , close to US border, near ocean. Any suggestions
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2019, 11:09 PM   #2

My next door neighbor goes to Rocky Point a couple times every year for a few weeks at a time. (Punta Penasco) Top of the Gulf of Calif, east side (west coast of mainland Mexico).

We've been there also but not as much. SPEED LIMITS IN MEXICO ARE KMs NOT MPH!!!!
Old 05-30-2019, 12:36 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
X-2 for Rocky Point! Very RV friendly, great food, fresh seafood, cheap prices!
Google is your friend, lots of Y-tube videos!
Rosarito (sp) just south of Ensenada, is also a area I have been to a lot! Fresh lobsters, great prices!
You have a lot of time to do your research, have fun! Rail!

Oh, and for Mexican insurance, Baja Bound Ins. is good, all done on the internet! Plus, they have a monthly news letter, that is very good! Lots of places to see and things to do while you are down there!
Old 05-30-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

You couldn't pay me enough to take my RV into Mexico!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Old 05-30-2019, 10:02 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like a good plan. How is your Spanish????

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share.

Enjoy the adventure!
Old 05-30-2019, 01:52 PM   #6

Rocky Point is the easiest, fastest place to go. Very American-friendly. No need to speak Spanish.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

You could pay me, then I could afford to go.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:45 AM   #8

Rocky Point is close, but the the scenery is a lot better in San Carlos. It's south of Tucson, four hours drive from the border. 4-lane highway the whole way. Used to own a house down there and drove it frequently. Never had a problem in Mexico, though I had to go through Phoenix first, which is a pretty dangerous place.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

me either!! .. besides it will be coming to a town near you
Old 06-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #10

Travels with Kevin and Ruth, they winter in Mexico with their MH. I've been catching up on their blog since they started full timing back in 07. Makes me want to try it when we are retired.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:10 PM   #11

Yes, Arizona’s seacoast: Puerto Pensaco 60 miles south of Arizona border. Probably safest easiest destinations for your interests. Check with Mexico insurance agent in Ajo,Arizona they can fill you in.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:14 PM   #12
GKW

I have been traveling to Baja,CA now on my fourth RV for over 20 years with no problems. My traveling has been from the border in San Diego or prefer crossing at Tecate. All of my travels were down on hwy 1 and branches off that highway, the original trans peninsular road. There is another route that is close to being developed on the Cortez side that is usable now but spotty for an RV yet. Many places on the road are only 18ft wide but they are slowly expanding that so a bit crowded meeting other RV’s or 18 wheelers and caution advised. There are many very uncrowded beaches on both the Sea of Cortez or the Pacific side of the peninsula for dry camping on the beach with a few full hookup RV parks that are very scenic. Contact Baja Bound for vehicle insurance, visas, fishing license and maps etc. Many books on RVing in Baja that describe a lot of the good spots. From October thru May are the best time if you can’t tolerate the heat on the Cortez side. The Pacific side is much like the So. CA coast in the summer. Don’t travel at night, mostly because of cattle on the highway as most of the territory is open range. Very scenic country, friendly people, reasonable prices, and most who experience it continue to go back. Just my two centavos in my twenty years of RV travel there
Old 10-06-2019, 04:45 AM   #13

I have been to Rocky Point. Good highway to get there and seems safe in the town. I found it a bit boring. Many gringos everywhere. Not much real MX culture. I would go back because it's easy to get to. I think it was about $600/month rent.

I stayed 3 months in Rosarito which is 35 minutes south of the border fence on the Pacific ocean coast. A few miles south of Rosarito is a small fishing port named Popotla. There's an rv park there with great security. Nearby real MX culture. 100 yards overlooking the beach. Great climate, smell the ocean and hear the waves crash in the rig. 40 minutes to Tijuana. Good road from the San Ysidro border xing to the park (50 minutes) . Mostly toll road. $500 or $600/month 2 years ago. Website is Popotla mobile home park. Bilingual office.

There are a few more rv parks between there and Ensenada. Ensenada is a good place too although I've never rv'ed there.

Those are only RV first hand experience.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:28 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
I have been to Rocky Point. Good highway to get there and seems safe in the town. I found it a bit boring. Many gringos everywhere. Not much real MX culture. I would go back because it's easy to get to. I think it was about $600/month rent.

I stayed 3 months in Rosarito which is 35 minutes south of the border fence on the Pacific ocean coast. A few miles south of Rosarito is a small fishing port named Popotla. There's an rv park there with great security. Nearby real MX culture. 100 yards overlooking the beach. Great climate, smell the ocean and hear the waves crash in the rig. 40 minutes to Tijuana. Good road from the San Ysidro border xing to the park (50 minutes) . Mostly toll road. $500 or $600/month 2 years ago. Website is Popotla mobile home park. Bilingual office.

There are a few more rv parks between there and Ensenada. Ensenada is a good place too although I've never rv'ed there.

Those are only RV first hand experience.
Good intel on the last two posts. Its nice to hear from sensible people.
Closed Thread